joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this would be a good location to see 2 or 3 inches but I guess I was wrong. And it's also fairly close to home compared to areas further north in the mountains. I may need to head north.

Andrews is normally in a snow hole..99% percent of time in these NWFS, Andrews receives a dusting..However  once you head toward Topton near the Graham County line you will find your snow.Ive seen the ground bare in Andrews and 10" of snow on the ground in Robbinsville. And Robbinsville is only to the north about 5 miles as a crow flies. You have to get out of Andrews and head to the Skyway or Soco

Andrews is normally in a snow hole..99% percent of time in these NWFS, Andrews receives a dusting..However once you head toward Topton near the Graham County line you will find your snow.Ive seen the ground bare in Andrews and 10" of snow on the ground in Robbinsville. And Robbinsville is only to the north about 5 miles as a crow flies. You have to get out of Andrews and head to the Skyway or Soco

I wish you would have told me Andrews was a snow hole before I booked a hotel room last night. I guess the NWS doesn't think it's a snow hole because they have 2-4" forecasted for here. Basically the reason I chose andrews is because its not a terribly long drive from home and I thought it would give me the chance to see a few inches.

I wish you would have told me Andrews was a snow hole before I booked a hotel room last night. I guess the NWS doesn't think it's a snow hole because they have 2-4" forecasted for here. Basically the reason I chose andrews is because its not a terribly long drive from home and I thought it would give me the chance to see a few inches.

I told you where to go several times.

Looks like the higher elevations picked up a quick inch of snow before the sun came out.

Upstream in TN, the SAT picture suddenly has a convective look to it as the brief clearing allowed for some surface heating under some cold unstable air.  I suspect some scattered snow squalls will move in later this afternoon.

yeah I know and I respect your opinion and I know you know this area a lot better than I do, but I still thought this area would get more than a dusting.

it will, but did you really chase to see an inch or two or are you gonna drive an hour to see double digits with single digit temps?

your plenty close enough in Andrews to go see some heavy snow late this evening and tomorrow..You can be at the top peak on the Skyway in 1 hour. Head west on US 19/74 out of Andrews for about 7 miles. Take a left on US 129 North. Go aprox 15 miles and take a left on NC 143 West..Travel aprox 18 miles and you will be on the high peaks of the Skyway. However, if you are not experienced in driving in blizzard like conditions, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS TRIP..It is the last road in the county to be plowed/salted. Since this road does not close ,there have been several inexperienced folk up there that got trapped and faced near death conditions. Take a good light ,plenty of clothes,extra blanket,etc. There is NO cell service on this route

your plenty close enough in Andrews to go see some heavy snow late this evening and tomorrow..You can be at the top peak on the Skyway in 1 hour. Head west on US 19/74 out of Andrews for about 7 miles. Take a left on US 129 North. Go aprox 15 miles and take a left on NC 143 West..Travel aprox 18 miles and you will be on the high peaks of the Skyway.

Man I am so tempted. Is that in TN or NC ?

Man I am so tempted. Is that in TN or NC ?

It starts in NC and ends in TN..It actually runs the top ridges which is the state line for several miles. You will not be disappointed. Promise.

Looks like tomorrow would be the day to be there. Google Cherohala Skyway snow and you should see some nice videos and pics.

Robbinsville has several nice cheap motels and is actually nicer than Andrews..Lots of wilderness areas with many lakes and high peaks

Andrews is a great spot if you want to be able to navigate out of the snow easily...light accumulations with the ground being covered guaranteed. Higher up spots will suck with piss poor visibility, long duration event to be stuck, bitter cold temps and wind chill. They will see the 6-12"+ but not worth it. Snow depth will always be there after the fact and you can wait until better conditions to enjoy it at a ski resort. 

Andrews is a great spot if you want to be able to navigate out of the snow easily...light accumulations with the ground being covered guaranteed. Higher up spots will suck with piss poor visibility, long duration event to be stuck, bitter cold temps and wind chill. They will see the 6-12"+ but not worth it. Snow depth will always be there after the fact and you can wait until better conditions to enjoy it at a ski resort.

obviously ideally I would love to live at a high elevation where I could just stay at home and not have to worry about driving in it. Driving in that much snow in that kind of terrain scares me but I'm so tempted to go on a little drive this evening. If I died I would die doing something I love :)

seriously? We are not sending him up a forest service rd to an old firetower. 19 is a heavily traveled rd and will continually be plowed.

It looks to me like almost all of SW NC is precip free. Is there sometimes snow at the higher elevations that radar doesn't pick up ?

main forcing doesn't come in for a few hours. But yes, when it turns to a true upslope event radar is worthless. Radar doesn't usual work the greatest up here anyways with the high peaks.

hmmmmm. I may be interested. That would give me some time to look for a job around there.

With it being a college town you don't even have to look...internet forums are flooded with roommate requests year round...and if you don't mind working in food there are always openings for low paying jobs like Krispy Kreme or Chipotle. I love the area you can walk or ride the AppalCart to everywhere you need to be.

Archived