• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

The favored areas should exceed double digits, the lakes are warm and the column saturation is great up to 700mb for over 48 hours. Met and Joe should cleanup.

I'm thinking so also. We are going to see a couple of disturbances coming through and I think a warning will be issued for the TN boarder counties. This is going to be a multi day event. I could easily see upwards of a foot plus will the forcing coming through the mountains. Temps are going to be very cold and the ratios will be high. Going to be some good powder for the Ski resorts. Also Franklin social gap should get creamed hard. Going to be fun watching this take place especially with the winds. Maybe some brief ground blizzard reports here and there. Ward great updates man. We appreciate your contributions.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking so also. We are going to see a couple of disturbances coming through and I think a warning will be issued for the TN boarder counties. This is going to be a multi day event. I could easily see upwards of a foot plus will the forcing coming through the mountains. Temps are going to be very cold and the ratios will be high. Going to be some good powder for the Ski resorts. Also Franklin social gap should get creamed hard. Going to be fun watching this take place especially with the winds. Maybe some brief ground blizzard reports here and there. Ward great updates man. We appreciate your contributions.

it should be good enough for 2-3 inches here at the house especially at the start with a more westerly and brief southwesterly wind component. I'm thinking of heading to soco on Tuesday evening.

GSP is all about mostly rain in Aville with some mix. I know GSF shows a warm surface, but are we really going to waste most of Monday with rain?

My pin point forecast for Monday is rain and snow, then becoming all rain after 5 pm. I have never seen temps rise and snow become rain after a front comes through from the NW in this type of situation. It also states, little to no accumulation Monday or Monday night. Something's not right.

My pin point forecast for Monday is rain and snow, then all rain after 5 pm. I have never seen temps rise and snow become rain after a front comes through from the NW in this type of situation. It also states, little to no accumulation Monday or Monday night. Something's not right.

Well,if your forecast has that,it is really odd. It was odd enough with Asheville, but at least maybe I can buy it here.

WLOS showed a snow accumulation map through Tuesday night and the most it showed anywhere was 3".. What have we missed? I thought this was gonna be one of the better NWF events in several years.

not sure why, the Euro and the ensemble mean have consistly showed 3-4 for the Macon county airport at 2100ft and 4-5 for Andrews. The column has good saturation for up to 48 hours with multiple spokes of energy coming through the base of the trough.

WLOS showed a snow accumulation map through Tuesday night and the most it showed anywhere was 3".. What have we missed? I thought this was gonna be one of the better NWF events in several years.

I think GSP and WLOS are out to lunch.  I even think Asheville will see 2 to 3 inches if everything comes together. heck Atlanta could see an inch I think.

Yeah, their "in house" model, although it might be the GFS, showed me getting .9 inches through Tues pm. It'll be a big disappointment if that happens. I guess it's just a wait and see event.

Yeah, their "in house" model, although it might be the GFS, showed me getting .9 inches through Tues pm. It'll be a big disappointment if that happens. I guess it's just a wait and see event.

kinda hard for me to believe that little bit for you, I'm thinking with the super cold and plenty of moisture and lift, well everything I'm seeing and reading would say the Tenn. border counties winter storm watch and the rest of the mtns. Asheville included winter weather advisories.  i grew up here and Asheville was always considered the mtns.  High Elevations and Low Elevations is the way it use to be worded.

I think GSP and WLOS are out to lunch.  I even think Asheville will see 2 to 3 inches if everything comes together. heck Atlanta could see an inch I think.

Personally, I believe GSP has the best set of mets there now than ever before. Mets that seem to have experience as to how weather works in the Western Carolina's. It will be interesting to see what happens.

kinda hard for me to believe that little bit for you, I'm thinking with the super cold and plenty of moisture and lift, well everything I'm seeing and reading would say the Tenn. border counties winter storm watch and the rest of the mtns. Asheville included winter weather advisories.  i grew up here and Asheville was always considered the mtns.  High Elevations and Low Elevations is the way it use to be worded.

I grew up here too and of course Asheville is in the mountains. We're a proud folk about where we live and are kinda' clan-dish as well. Boyer needs to fine some new zonal terms!  :)

Guys nw flow is always hard to predict. I really would not worry about what this or that person says. The models look good for several impulses to work through from Monday through Wednesday. The mountains are always tough to predict snow in especially when you have micro climates where you have certain bands on snow setup depending on trajectory of the flow coming in. One mountain may get pounder when another mountain does not. Also you should know by now WLOS does not do a great job with upslope snow. No need to gey your panties in a bunch. Let's see how this plays out as always. We live in a very diverse area with impressive elevation changes.

Guys nw flow is always hard to predict. I really would not worry about what this or that person says. The models look good for several impulses to work through from Monday through Wednesday. The mountains are always tough to predict snow in especially when you have micro climates where you have certain bands on snow setup depending on trajectory of the flow coming in. One mountain may get pounder when another mountain does not. Also you should know by now WLOS does not do a great job with upslope snow. No need to gey your panties in a bunch. Let's see how this plays out as always. We live in a very diverse area with impressive elevation changes.

Fred Gifford down at the One Stop said we're suppose to get 16 inches. And he's the manager.

Yeah guys I am struggling to find a warm nose on any model strong enough to really matter. GFs has temps at the onset of precip that would melt flakes but it disappeas after 3 hrs. I mean KAVL and the column above are close enough to freezing to not melt flakes at the onset of moisture. With these 3 different shots of moisture, Asheville could get 2"-3" of snow and I think 10"+ for high mountains above 4500'. I am looking forward to the pics Joe and Met!

Yeah guys I am struggling to find a warm nose on any model strong enough to really matter. GFs has temps at the onset of precip that would melt flakes but it disappeas after 3 hrs. I mean KAVL and the column above are close enough to freezing to not melt flakes at the onset of moisture. With these 3 different shots of moisture, Asheville could get 2"-3" of snow and I think 10"+ for high mountains above 4500'. I am looking forward to the pics Joe and Met!

Really appreciate your input and expertise, a joy reading what you have to say and your opinions, plus you are right on most of the time.  :snowwindow:

Agree with Fritschy. I appreciate you injecting some real knowledge into the conversation. It is much appreciated. NWS still showing mostly rain. Interesting. In agreement with you though Hvward, Ray's sees all snow, a trace to 2 inches. The 6z GFS stays really cold. What looked like a warm up continues to show cold and colder.  

No problem guys! I owe a lot to this board. I can see where the fear of warm surface temps Monday afternoon, but the column only goes above freezing for a couple of hours. There could be a mix at the onset, but once the sun goes down it will be game on.. if it even takes that long. This could be one of those events where the flow starts showing up 2-3hrs before it was modeled. I expect those in the higher mountains to wake up to some snow falling tomorrow and it is very possible that the flow is strong enough to even give the valleys of WNC flakage in the AM. I would say for anyone chasing though that the best forcing will be in place Monday night, and that will be when I am out. Not sure exactly if I will head to Soco or try out Madison Co. but my driver has a massive truck and grew up on the backroads of WNC, so hopefully I can find some deep stuff and take pictures.

Oh and one quick note.. I know for a fact that Boyer forecasts off maps from College of Dupage so that might influence the detail of his forecast. Maybe Zack Green has swayed him since I know he uses Weatherbell, but as of last year Boyer was still using low detail free maps. Someone should turn him on to tropical tidbits.

Okay quick question guys. I've got to go to Greenwood, SC tomorrow to help a friend pick up a Tahoe. Do you think Sam's Gap will be passable tomorrow? Especially tomorrow evening? I think the trip going across tomorrow morning will be okay because of the timing of the system. I'm just a little worried about tomorrow evening when the upslope should be in full effect. Do they treat the roads pretty well up there?

Archived