amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say we are around 14" here in Boone. This NWFS is extremely fluffy, almost looks like fake snow you buy at Christmas time. Pretty moderate at times even with partial sunshine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same situation in Asheville. We'll probably get 1-2 more inches on top of 13.7" so far. That's not even counting pre-storm NWFS that got us another inch. What an incredible week!

Great totals from our mountain crew!

I consider myself a resident of the foothills, since I lived over 20 years in Lenoir, even though I now live in Hickory.  A slightly disappointing total of 5 inches of snow/sleet combo here IMBY, but the kids and I have really enjoyed it yesterday and today (except when sleet was pinging us in our faces).

Looking forward to the next one...

Not sure how much fell on my mountain but closest report was 18.5 inches above Maggie Valley. With a much higher elevation and with Maggie Valley down slope from this event...might have ended up with 2 feet...3 feet fell in the Smokies and final maximum of 4 feet in Eastern WV and small part of Maryland appears likely with 40 plus totals already reported.

Well, looks like things are winding down. As usual their were over & under performers. I think the usual lesson are always reinforced with a storm like this. Don't get to high, don't get to low, patience, ect. It was a great storm to track & live vicariously thru you all. I'm always looking at models but not the best reader of them. Last weekend when I looked. I saw some players but it was more of a gut feeling that this would would be a good one. Happy for all of you and will pop back in when the time is right. Congrats to all and thanks for letting me be a de facto part of this group. As I've said before your a special crew! Take care fellas, Don

Well, looks like things are winding down. As usual their were over & under performers. I think the usual lesson are always reinforced with a storm like this. Don't get to high, don't get to low, patience, ect. It was a great storm to track & live vicariously thru you all. I'm always looking at models but not the best reader of them. Last weekend when I looked. I saw some players but it was more of a gut feeling that this would would be a good one. Happy for all of you and will pop back in when the time is right. Congrats to all and thanks for letting me be a de facto part of this group. As I've said before your a special crew! Take care fellas, Don

You know we were glad to have you Pal. You'll always be "one of us". I bet I can find you a summer cottage for a good price. 

Totals per Rays Weather Reports

NC Mountains (from south to north)

Haywood County

Canton 14"

Maggie Valley 10"

Waynesville 7"-9.5"

Henderson County

Hendersonville 9"-12"

Fletcher 9"-13.5

Buncombe County

Asheville 8-14"

Candler 9"-14"

Arden 13.5"

Black Mtn 8.5"-10"

Fairview 13"

Avery Creek 12"

Madison County

Marshall 10"

Yancey County

Burnsville 18"

Busick 13"

Celo 13"

Mitchell County

Bakersville 12"

Little Switzerland 17"

Ledger 16"

Avery County

BannerElk 14"

Beech Mtn 19"

Watauga County

Boone 10"-12"

Deep Gap 9.5"

Valle Crucis 9"-11"

Sugar Grove 23"

Howards Creek 18"

Meat Camp 11"

Seven Devils 15"-18"

Blowing Rock 12"

Ashe County

West Jefferson 7"

Fleetwood 8"-9"

Near the TN Line 17"

Clifton 15"

Lansing 13.5"

Grassy Creek 9"

Alleghany County

Glade Valley 8"-13"

NC Foothills (from south to north)

McDowell County

Marion 9"-10"

Old Fort 8"-19"

Burke County

Morganton 7"-9"

Valdese 8"-9"

Ashford 12"

Table Rock 10"

Catawba County

Hickory 8"

Caldwell County

Wilkes County

Wilkesboro 8"

North Wilkesboro 9.5"

Hays 7"

Surry County

Mt Airy 8"

SW VA Mountains

Grayson County

(and Galax)

Galax 10"-14"

Independence 11"

Carsonville 12"

Caroll County

Hillsville 12"

Wythe County

Wytheville 12"-15"

fellows do you think we will get to 40 today with all the snow cover, I'll be surprised if we make it to 35 myself.  if there was hardly any snow I would believe it but there is just to much snow cover that kinda keeps you in the deep freeze.

It will be close. I am thinking 38 or 39. I was out there shoveling in my shorts and though it was getting warm and it is just 24. 

All NWS GSP Storm Reports from the Winter Storm are showing in a sortable searchable workbook.

You may access a copy here:

http://wnharrell.com...ormReports.xlsx

Note the 2 largest reports in the KGSP area are 18" and 19".

I do not see where Mount Mitchell was logged as a Local Storm Report with their reported 60" total accumulation from the storm.

You can also find this same data for other NWS offices at this link:

https://mesonet.agro.../gis/lsrs.phtml

Report from Mt Mitchell State Park: 60 inches

Brad Panovich Meteorologist

Amazing snow depth report from Mount Mitchell State Park where they have 60" of snow on the ground. 9" Fell last Wednesday, 7" on Thursday and 44" on Friday. ‪#‎wncwx‬ ‪

RGqk3bQ.jpg

also about 6 inches on Saturday a total of 66 inches

Mt Mitchell weather observations are taken at the 6200 foot level...the same elevation as my mountain top. The up slope winds where not quite as favorable locally as they were on Mt Mitchell but still..might have underestimated the amount of snow that fell in the Plotts. The mountain is completely shut in with nobody currently living up there during the Winter time so probably won't find out what actually fell.

Don't look now guys, but the 12z EPS shows a perfect track for the southern apps regarding the late week system.

Congrats on all the snow! Happy for my friends on the hill to my east.....

Don't believe it...nope not gonna do it lol. I'm calling Jonas the  last storm of January just because I'm so tired from not sleeping waiting for the thing that it's gonna take a few days to catch up. But who knows, maybe next week will be interesting. i'm still shocked by the 66 inch totals for Mt. Mitchell, I'm fully aware of the up slope potential there...but 66? Oh well, here's to hoping a dry hole doesn't eat half of our snow on the next one. Maybe see you guys in a day or two!

Archived