Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still liking Friday morning for some backside snow showers around WNC at the least. The euro continues to pick up on a weak deformation zone developing over WNC and providing NWF type action with the higher mountains getting decent snow totals. This will be similar to the Sunday morning event that we had 2 weeks ago, where most got a dusting to 1" of snowfall even down in the French Broad River Valley. Lots of time for this to change, but the models are beginning to harp on that signature. I am already close to climo here at my house as far as snowfall, so any more that falls will be bones. This will go down as an above average year for most in the Valley's of WNC as far a snowfall avg. The higher mountains though will need an abundance of nuisance NWF event to reach above average, but another big snowstorm like two Friday's ago and some peaks will be close to average.

At this point, I see basically no chance that the mountains will get anywhere close to average. For example, Beech Mtn has only recorded 21"(Avg 90"+) and it is now February!  Probably only Mt. Mitchell might reach average due to the freakish storm that hit there along with some of the Southern Blue Ridge areas that got dumped on and don't normally receive much snow.

At this point, I see basically no chance that the mountains will get anywhere close to average. For example, Beech Mtn has only recorded 21"(Avg 90"+) and it is now February! Probably only Mt. Mitchell might reach average due to the freakish storm that hit there along with some of the Southern Blue Ridge areas that got dumped on and don't normally receive much snow.

I still think it's possible, as the higher elevations still have 3 months.

I still think it's possible, as the higher elevations still have 3 months.

Over the last 4 years, Beech has averaged about 39" from now till the end of the season.

39" + 21=60".  So basically, it would need to double it's normal snowfall going forward to just reach average.

First week of February which normally is prime time for Beech will be uneventful.

LeConte is in about as bad as Beech.

The normally snowiest location South of New York....a site near Davis WV has only managed to muster 53 inches:  http://data.canaanmtnsnow.com/

Only one year in the last 15 has had less snow. Basically, the trend is NW flow events have been few and far between this year and those that have occurred have generally under-performed.

Over the last 4 years, Beech has averaged about 39" from now till the end of the season.

39" + 21=60". So basically, it would need to double it's normal snowfall going forward to just reach average.

First week of February which normally is prime time for Beech will be uneventful.

LeConte is in about as bad as Beech.

The normally snowiest location South of New York....a site near Davis WV has only managed to muster 53 inches: http://data.canaanmtnsnow.com/

Only one year in the last 15 has had less snow. Basically, the trend is NW flow events have been few and far between this year and those that have occurred have generally under-performed.

I agree on the lack of good flow snow. Its been a few years since there was worth one to chase at soco gap which usually does very well. We also have not had a true Miller a storm this year. It's been a Miller b or a double barrel storm killing the mid levels.

At this point, I see basically no chance that the mountains will get anywhere close to average. For example, Beech Mtn has only recorded 21"(Avg 90"+) and it is now February! Probably only Mt. Mitchell might reach average due to the freakish storm that hit there along with some of the Southern Blue Ridge areas that got dumped on and don't normally receive much snow.

While I agree that it is not very likely, I wouldn't say that there is no chance. Most on here called off January before the big storm and that ended up bringing some valleys to climo already. It will be interesting to see if we can get a big storm to bring more close to average because that is what it is going to take now.

Yeah I like what's coming. Especially around the 9 onward. Looks pretty active with deep cold and some good chances of snow.

I really like the upcoming pattern. Rates are going to be very high with the clipper being modeled. Not to mention the fact that the bombing out LP modeled before the clipper could very well trend our way and give us another couple of inches of snow. I think by this time next week most who post in the mountain thread will have snow on the ground again. Good times ahead guys! Oh and watch out for Friday morning lol, I have watched this period for a while now and the euro dropped .4" of snow on KAVL, so that leads me to believe that flurries will certainly be possible.

I really like the upcoming pattern. Rates are going to be very high with the clipper being modeled. Not to mention the fact that the bombing out LP modeled before the clipper could very well trend our way and give us another couple of inches of snow. I think by this time next week most who post in the mountain thread will have snow on the ground again. Good times ahead guys! Oh and watch out for Friday morning lol, I have watched this period for a while now and the euro dropped .4" of snow on KAVL, so that leads me to believe that flurries will certainly be possible.

I think our best hope is the 2nd wave. There is just not enough room for the first to amplify with the next trough in its heels. Hopefully that trough can dig more and become something better.

I think our best hope is the 2nd wave. There is just not enough room for the first to amplify with the next trough in its heels. Hopefully that trough can dig more and become something better.

Meantime, the low-level jet is crashing into the mountains. 70 Knots at the ridge top!

I agree with you Franklin. The weenie in me wants to believe maybe the 5h can capture the 850mb just a tad earlier. It does however look like a central NC/SC and east event. Oh well at least this is better then tracking 60 and rain lol.

Those are some impressive winds Mike!

I agree with you Franklin. The weenie in me wants to believe maybe the 5h can capture the 850mb just a tad earlier. It does however look like a central NC/SC and east event. Oh well at least this is better then tracking 60 and rain lol.

Those are some impressive winds Mike!

With this type of pattern, the winds tend to be laminar flow and are generally not felt on the ground unless something mixes them down like a thunderstorm.  Another exception is just a few of the properly exposed ridgetops that basically scrap through the stable layer that hugs the ground.

This setup, in fact, is the only normal setup that my mountain really gets nailed on as the winds tend to be damped from other directions. (It is out of the SW at the ridge top.) A neighbor was thinking about going up to the top this morning to try to verify this very local but perhaps exceptional windstorm. 

With this type of pattern, the winds tend to be laminar flow and are generally not felt on the ground unless something mixes them down like a thunderstorm. Another exception is just a few of the properly exposed ridgetops that basically scrap through the stable layer that hugs the ground.

This setup, in fact, is the only normal setup that my mountain really gets nailed on as the winds tend to be damped from other directions. (It is out of the SW at the ridge top.) A neighbor was thinking about going up to the top this morning to try to verify this very local but perhaps exceptional windstorm.

Living on a high peak in WNC has got to be thrilling. Good analysis and something that most in the valley would never even think about. I hope your neighbor makes it up there, I would love to see what he documents!

Living on a high peak in WNC has got to be thrilling. Good analysis and something that most in the valley would never even think about. I hope your neighbor makes it up there, I would love to see what he documents!

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. I have an accepted offer on the mountain top. The one consolation is that the buyer's hobby is weather and I will see if I can get him to post his future observations/experiences here on this thread.  :)

Dont look for much unless you live near the TN border, if the shortwaves dig south enough it may mean a few inches for places like Asheville and east of the Blue Ridge, but it doesnt look great for anything more than snow showers/flurries

Yep see what you mean, I guess the trends for these clippers have not shown up as well as they did the other day, there was a lot of hype about the digging and really cold air producing some high ratio snows even around the Asheville area plus south and east of Asheville.  :cry:

Yep see what you mean, I guess the trends for these clippers have not shown up as well as they did the other day, there was a lot of hype about the digging and really cold air producing some high ratio snows even around the Asheville area plus south and east of Asheville. :cry:

I wouldn't give up on seeing snow. This will be an anomalous period of flow that we don't see every winter and could provide a surprise. Clippers don't normally produce for the valleys of WNC but most clippers don't last for 24+ hrs. Just sit back and enjoy, you are already at climo so the rest is just bonus!

I wouldn't give up on seeing snow. This will be an anomalous period of flow that we don't see every winter and could provide a surprise. Clippers don't normally produce for the valleys of WNC but most clippers don't last for 24+ hrs. Just sit back and enjoy, you are already at climo so the rest is just bonus!

Looks like there will be a 48 hour period of good upslope starting Monday morning but cloud level wind direction/velocities will not be optimum for most of the time frame but moisture thickness should be outstanding coupled with very steep lapse rates, little wind shear, and great snowflake production.(The snow flakes will actually be forming in the clouds right at eyeball level on the ridge tops!)  Flow will be Westerly for much of it so the Central/Northern Balsams will do better than normal and the TN areas less so when compared to the normal NW flow regime. Having said that, I think it likely will be the best upslope event of the entire season.  SnoJoe will be doing a happy dance next week! :)

Looks like there will be a 48 hour period of good upslope starting Monday morning but cloud level wind direction/velocities will not be optimum for most of the time frame but moisture thickness should be outstanding coupled with very steep lapse rates, little wind shear, and great snowflake production.(The snow flakes will actually be forming in the clouds right at eyeball level on the ridge tops!) Flow will be Westerly for much of it so the Balsams will do better than normal and the TN areas less so when compared to the normal NW flow regime. Having said that, I think it likely will be the best upslope event of the entire season. SnoJoe will be doing a happy dance next week! :)

those westerly winds are much better for my area too. Probably worth a drive to soco gap for this one.

When do you close on the property?

those westerly winds are much better for my area too. Probably worth a drive to soco gap for this one.

When do you close on the property?

In March. I suspect he will be able to spend a lot more time up there than me so hopefully we should get some great reports if I can get him to post here.  Hopefully, he will also install a Davis Weather Link setup on the observation tower for continuous weather data.  I still plan on hanging around here for awhile as I find the local climate here in the mountains rather fascinating.  

Archived