joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get the Go Pro and get ready to freak out like Cantore. Film it and post here for enjoyment!

But I'm doing it naked with a beer in my hand.

Settled down a little here, just flurries. Looks like another slug is about rotate through per Morristown radar. I'm surprised that there is very little wind. Snowing pretty much straight down. 

Ok guys congrats on your flow snow event but on to something else! It's either the burritos I ate for dinner or my gut is on to something. Things are looking interesting for next Monday the 15th. Players are back on the field and as usual the Mnts will probably end up as the sweet spot in the SE......so go ahead and sound the alarms. It's time to keep a close eye on this!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skip to the 4min mark to see a mountain snow squall in Alleghany, NC today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmnQ8nNcjTI&feature=youtu.be

That's really cool. There's a valley that "channels" my house like the guys in the vidios property. I get that quite often. In a few minutes, it's over and the winds can go dead calm. 

Look at Franky posting a good ob! Nice ! It looks like it's going to pick up shortly for a lot us. Quite a bit of moisture with this first disturbance.

Lol snow picking up here as well. Good sized flakes with an inch on the ground. I think we just need to be patient. I think the trajectory of the flow will eventually change to more nw flow.

Ok guys congrats on your flow snow event but on to something else! It's either the burritos I ate for dinner or my gut is on to something. Things are looking interesting for next Monday the 15th. Players are back on the field and as usual the Mnts will probably end up as the sweet spot in the SE......so go ahead and sound the alarms. It's time to keep a close eye on this!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the man in the Bermuda shorts, black socks and sandals speaks, people should listen ! Thanks for the heads up Don. 

I made it back home. I ended up driving some on the Cherohala Skyway. Saw some heavy snow there and roads were covered. Not a ton of accumulation on the ground where I was at. About an inch or so. This was at about 3,000'. I walked around and enjoyed the snow and then turned around. It was getting dark and the roads were getting snow covered and I don't want to risk going higher in elevation. I didn't see any huge accumulation but I'm glad I got to see bursts of heavy snow both on Cherohala Skyway and at Soco. 

Web cam at Wolf Ridge showing nice snow event currently.

Model battle commences for the possible Mon storm.

GSP overnight afd:

GUIDANCE DISAGREES ON THE POTENTIAL WEATHER SYSTEM MOVING THRU ON
MON. THE GFS HAS A WEAK FRONTAL SYSTEM MOVING THRU FROM THE NW WITH
LITTLE GULF OR ATLANTIC IN FLOW. THE ECMWF HAS A STRONG FRONT MOVING
IN FROM THE WEST WITH STRONG GULF INFLOW. SURFACE AND H85 TEMPS
WOULD INDICATE SOME SNOW POTENTIAL ACROSS THE MTNS AND NRN TIER WITH
MAINLY RAIN ELSEWHERE. HAVE GONE WITH A GUIDANCE BLEND AND KEPT POP
IN THE CHANCE RANGE FOR NOW...WITH THE RAIN/SNOW LINE BASED ON
SURFACE TEMPS. CONFIDENCE IS LOW IN THIS PORTION OF THE FORECAST
WITH CHANGES LIKELY AS IT APPROACHES.

About a quarter to a half inch on the ground at my house in Candler, but nothing really Downtown. Few flurries flying now and once this thing switch to full on NWF downtown will get there snow.

Ugh..the writing is on the wall. Overall, this event will end up being a disappointment.(Like all the rest of the up slope events this season.) One of the few times with such good moisture that didn't translate into a decent event.  Light wind speeds, westerly wind direction, poor orthographic lift and lack of Lake connection seems to be what happened despite many other positives.  

Today..winds speeds will be very light so will be a struggle to see much additional accumulation even in the most favored locations.

Archived