Newest Member
    joxey
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

44064571940be035be47f61afa4d9e5a.jpg

Pretty colors! Ward. when would you guess the onset will be. GSP doesn't give me a whole lot to go on. Apparently, they thinks it's only going to snow for 1 hour.

Friday
Snow likely, mainly between 8am and 9am. Cloudy, with a high near 34. Light and variable wind becoming west northwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

The weatherbell 4km nam has consistently been showing this moving in very early tomorrow Joe, and it streams in moisture throughout most of the day. Looking at radarscope it appears light moisture is closing in on KY, which is where the 4km has it at this time on the 18z so it seems reasonable that snow could begin falling by 5am on your mountain Joe. What kills everyone is some warming at 925mb, and then afternoon temps get up. After that NWF kicks in and goes until Saturday morning as the low develops off the coast. This will be interesting to see what p-type everyone wakes up to. I have been analyzing the column and it appears good for snow over Asheville for 3-4 hr while good moisture is overhead. That could be a quick inch or so.

Moderate snow in the Balsams in the higher elevations currently. http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/BuddynOreo/1/show.html 

It appears that the moisture is having no trouble cruising right over the TN line into the central ridges although it appears that there is a dry layer in the lower elevations preventing much from reaching the ground there.

Yeah not sure about the valley but man its peppering here. Big flakes now coming down. Probably quarter to half dollar size. Everything is solid white. A beautiful morning.

Really picked up here too. This first shot looks like it's going to be pretty short lived though. Hopefully the flow snow this evening will produce as well. Then this weekend is going to be brutal. Friends up from Florida are skiing Sugar tomorrow. I've already told them I'm out !

Really picked up here too. This first shot looks like it's going to be pretty short lived though. Hopefully the flow snow this evening will produce as well. Then this weekend is going to be brutal. Friends up from Florida are skiing Sugar tomorrow. I've already told them I'm out !

Lol yeah I think tonight produces pretty good. Actually I think tonight will be better than this morning. Yeah this weekend we will probably see highs on the single digits.

Archived