joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Oct 2nd-5th ULL OBS Major Flooding in SC Midlands/Low Country

Hvward

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick post.....Well, gonna lose most, if not all of my house. Live near Gills Creek here in CAE. Craziest morning of my life.  Got out of my house then heard screams for help.  Got a canoe with another neighbor and 5 houses down was a family of 4 stuck in the highest point of their attic with only minutes to spare.  Thankfully we got them out and to high ground.  A few quick pics:

1) Before

2) Rising Rapidly

3)Approx 7-8ft deep

4)Water up to windows at 1pm

Let us know if we can do anything as a group or individually.  I have an early afternoon commitment tomorrow. After that, I am free to travel. 

It has stopped here, but the winds have picked up.

Stay safe man.

My guess is that you are experiencing what me and Lookout saw earlier today. 

I believe these big thunderstorm complexes are causing the winds as  they are collapsing which are bringing the strong winds down to the surface.

It seems anytime that heavy returns on the radar begin to vanish,(sinking air) the winds really pick up...

Crazy stuff out the in midlands and low country - stay safe everyone! What a mess! Got a total of 7 and 3/8 inches here in Easley since Thursday evening and that is plenty for me. All those upstaters who were hoping for the epic or disappointed because we didn't get it should be very thankful. 

BTW, is that a real gator in Finlay or a statue? If so, I had no idea Cola had gators!

Quick post.....Well, gonna lose most, if not all of my house. Live near Gills Creek here in CAE. Craziest morning of my life.  Got out of my house then heard screams for help.  Got a canoe with another neighbor and 5 houses down was a family of 4 stuck in the highest point of their attic with only minutes to spare.  Thankfully we got them out and to high ground.  A few quick pics:

1) Before

2) Rising Rapidly

3)Approx 7-8ft deep

I am so sorry man. 

1) Before

2) Rising Rapidly

3)Approx 7-8ft deep

So, so sorry to see what has happened to your home.  Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Accuweather has an article up and amongst the pictures are several of the Gills Creek watershed area including the burst Cary Lake dam.  So much water.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/photos-pictures-flooding-south/52774053

I haven't seen it linked, but here's mouseover access to the real-time hydrograph information for the Southeast.  I did hear that some of the equipment has been destroyed in spots, but most seem to be reporting.  For all this water, *most* waterways aren't projected to reach major flood stage, only moderate which is surprising.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/serfc/

Crazy stuff out the in midlands and low country - stay safe everyone! What a mess! Got a total of 7 and 3/8 inches here in Easley since Thursday evening and that is plenty for me. All those upstaters who were hoping for the epic or disappointed because we didn't get it should be very thankful. 

BTW, is that a real gator in Finlay or a statue? If so, I had no idea Cola had gators!

He's real  :lol:   We live in the south.....gators are everywhere....lol    I have no idea how true that picture is, but it's totally possible for him to float there  ;) 

The South Carolina Department of Transportation said a significant portion of Interstate 95 was closed Sunday afternoon.

SCDOT said a 70-mile section of I-95 was closed between the I-20 and I-26 interchanges. The decision to close the roadway was made after flooding over the weekend.

The detour for the closure is to take I-20 Florence to I-77 around Columbia, then onto I-26 eastbound for motorists to return to I-95. Northbound travelers should reverse this route.

Quick post.....Well, gonna lose most, if not all of my house. Live near Gills Creek here in CAE. Craziest morning of my life. Got out of my house then heard screams for help. Got a canoe with another neighbor and 5 houses down was a family of 4 stuck in the highest point of their attic with only minutes to spare. Thankfully we got them out and to high ground. A few quick pics:

1) Before

2) Rising Rapidly

3)Approx 7-8ft deep

Man so sorry for your lost. Will be praying for you and your family. Just a horrible situation down there.

1) Before

2) Rising Rapidly

3)Approx 7-8ft deep

Wow, Man so sorry for your loss! But Glad you and the family are safe that's the main thing.... Any thing I can do to help let me know.... Hopefully this don't get deleted, seems my other post got deleted for some reason? I said nothing out of the way or anything? have no Idea why??? Anyway, Hope everybody in that area are safe, things can be replaced.... 

Unbelievable. Just went for a drive and had to come back - town is shut off by all the trees and power lines down. Roads are closed - and no power trucks anywhere. Posting from phone so can add pics but holy cow this was one heck of a storm. So sorry for all those in sc with the flooding - I can't remember seeing this type of flooding so close by.

Archived