joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Oct 2nd-5th ULL OBS Major Flooding in SC Midlands/Low Country

Hvward

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bright banding has pretty much consolidated in central SC over the last hour or two. They're going to be in very heavy rain for many many hours. Even some embedded torrential downpours/thunderstorms. Storm is also beginning to take aim on the Atlanta metro. It's been raining here in Conyers for hours now. Off and on moderate to heavy showers. The rain band will continue to pivot over through the morning hours in the more East/West orientation as the ULL begins to slide under.

*time sensitive image below*

southeast_loop.gif

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC
119 AM EDT SUN OCT 4 2015

...CATASTROPHIC FLOODING IN PROGRESS ACROSS THE CHARLESTON TRI-
COUNTY AREA...

.SYNOPSIS...
LOW PRESSURE WILL MEANDER OVER OR NEAR THE AREA INTO SUNDAY NIGHT
BEFORE MOVING AWAY MONDAY AND TUESDAY. HIGH PRESSURE WILL PREVAIL
DURING THE MIDDLE AND LATTER PARTS OF NEXT WEEK.

&&

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THIS MORNING/...
CATASTROPHIC FLASH FLOODING IS IN PROGRESS ACROSS MUCH OF THE
CHARLESTON TRI-COUNTY AREA EARLY THIS MORNING.
FLASH FLOOD
EMERGENCIES ARE IN EFFECT. EXPECT ANOTHER 3-6 INCHES IN THIS AREA
THROUGH SUNRISE WITH ISOLATED AMOUNTS NEAR 8 INCHES. ALREADY
SEEING STORM TOTAL AMOUNTS NEAR 20 INCHES AND WOULD NOT BE
SURPRISED TO SEE SOME AMOUNTS REACH 25-30 INCHES BEFORE THIS
EVENT IS OVER.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

COUNTY AREA...

.SYNOPSIS...

&&

CHARLESTON TRI-COUNTY AREA EARLY THIS MORNING. FLASH FLOOD

EVENT IS OVER.

No one is claiming a bust in Charleston.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

COUNTY AREA...

.SYNOPSIS...

&&

CHARLESTON TRI-COUNTY AREA EARLY THIS MORNING. FLASH FLOOD

EVENT IS OVER.

:stun:

***Columbia Update***

Rocky Branch Creek in downtown Columbia now reaching major flood stage. [Photo courtesy @Drinkingticket]

Also at least 5 swift water rescues going on around Columbia at this time.  Latest involves a Dept of Mental Health van occupied with patients and another vehicle stuck in water at I-277/Farrow Road.

3:30am - water flowing into 4 homes off of Trenholm Road, unknown if occupied at the time.

4:10am - utter chaos.  CFD @ Swiftwater Rescue boats taking flooded vehicle/victim calls now non-stop across all portions of Columbia. Most recent a victim clinging to the stop sign in swift water at Main/Whaley (Rocky Branch Cr)

4:20am - 2 cars submerged in water over 5ft deep - US601 and Willie Kelly Road [E Richland Co].  Victims holding on to branches of trees

post-2167-0-98159800-1443943659_thumb.pn

post-2167-0-02535200-1443945048_thumb.jp

4.85 inches so far but it hasn't rained here for several hours actually...although finally the leading edge is finally just making it back here. Big story here is the freaking wind..I actually got woke up by it a few minutes ago...had a 45mph gust a few minutes ago. I see winds gusting to 40mph in the upstate with with many more wide spread gusts to 20 to 30mph  elsewhere... am really surprised there aren't more power outages.

just an amazing radar image tonight...greenwood to columbia to the coast is just going to be hell the next few days.

4.85 inches so far but it hasn't rained here for several hours actually...although finally the leading edge is finally just making it back here. Big story here is the freaking wind..I actually got woke up by it a few minutes ago...had a 45mph gust a few minutes ago. I see winds gusting to 40mph in the upstate with with many more wide spread gusts to 20 to 30mph  elsewhere... am really surprised there aren't more power outages.

just an amazing radar image tonight...greenwood to columbia to the coast is just going to be hell the next few days.

Its very bad in Columbia. Almost constants calls for swift water rescues, and cars completely submerged.

Its very bad in Columbia. Almost constants calls for swift water rescues, and cars completely submerged.

I can believe it. Hard to say how much NE ga gets...models want to weaken band this way but they have been to quick to do that and move it this this morning g so far.

Wind knocked power off after..So made this post on my phone. It's quite bad out there...

Wow. Please stay safe. If this gets to your area, you're gonna see flooding like you probably haven't seen before. Columbia and Richland county fire departments are in storm mode.

53mph gust!! Not sure why it's gotten so bad suddenly..yeah..gonna be a lot power outages or trees down at this rate

Thats a possibility. Hope that stays away from here, or there is gonna be trees down everywhere,

Apparently that's what has happened here...all power outages have happened on the edge of the rain shield....limps.down...everything a mess..even destroyed my flag.. Wind shaking the truck just sitting here...gust to 54mph..it's like the low level jet was sent straight into the ground...just won't ease up b/c rain keeps hitting a wall..this sucks

Apparently that's what has happened here...all power outages have happened on the edge of the rain shield....limps.down...everything a mess..even destroyed my flag.. Wind shaking the truck just sitting here...gust to 54mph..it's like the low level jet was sent straight into the ground...just won't ease up b/c rain keeps hitting a wall..this sucks

The same thing happened here around 2:30 this morning. It was some of most impressive gusts I've ever seen at my house, and it was during a lull right before another round of precip started.

Archived