No Joaquin the park forecast for Mets

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I know you do.

I wasn't implying anything.

All good  :)

I'm just trying to wring out any kind of residual suspense after getting hooked for the past 36 hours.

The unfortunate aspect regarding NHC credibility is that this was actually not that hard a forecast since last night, relatively speaking given pretty overwhelming trends in guidance.

(Now watch this trough swing-and-a-miss and this beast continue southwest.)

With the NAVGEM gonzo... probable that the last of the stragglers will head on out too.

Unless some different data gets into the grid and changes it all over again - other wise, this is a week I wish I had back . :axe:

I actually lost sleep on this , this week. Woke up a couple nights excited about a potential hit up here .

I actually lost sleep on this , this week. Woke up a couple nights excited about a potential hit up here .

The way I look at it there's always uncertainty and odds against a strike up here, so we're either in the game or not.  Definitely we were in it for awhile, seems to be on life support right now. 

This is basically the point here. Get paid the big bucks...make a decision and stop kicking the can.

Right? So occasionally you make a bad call and bust the track forecast. But if you're really any good, overall you should hit closer than not and those track errors will balance out to be equal if not better than this middle of the model consensus stuff.

Right? So occasionally you make a bad call and bust the track forecast. But if you're really any good, overall you should hit closer than not and those track errors will balance out to be equal if not better than this middle of the model consensus stuff.

man been preaching that for years grow some balls

Perhaps I can understand the need to keep up vigilance for the SC/NC/VA/MidAtl yesterday, given most hurricane models had a NC landfall (some even trended south yesterday afternoon!).

But I think with the 0z Euro last night and the 0z/6z/12z GFS today, communication could have been clearer that the coast landfall was very unlikely. Several states announced a State of Emergency this afternoon / evening. Overkill is wasteful and numbs the public, etc. etc.

I know these guys have a very tough job and I don't claim to having anything remotely close to their skill, but even this forum had pretty good consensus and understanding by noon today, why not in a highly-paid government service?

I think the States of Emergency are declared more in CYA mode anymore.  Better declaring and not needing it than stalling, declaring late, then struggle to clean up the pieces.

Sadly, most things are guided more by CYA mode rather than accuracy or quality these days.

Hint of an east wobble in last few frames...

I think the States of Emergency are declared more in CYA mode anymore.  Better declaring and not needing it than stalling, declaring late, then struggle to clean up the pieces.

Well I believe that in declaring them early, that allows funding to more easily arrive in the event that it is needed for a landfalling system. Rather than wait to declare after the fact and delay things further.

In a sense that is CYA, but also smart if you are going to get right to the recovery.

Well I believe that in declaring them early, that allows funding to more easily arrive in the event that it is needed for a landfalling system. Rather than wait to declare after the fact and delay things further.

In a sense that is CYA, but also smart if you are going to get right to the recovery.

True, but SOEs are being declared way early now.

I was up for the Euro every night around 230 and up late and early (11 pm and 5 am)for NHC. I've been this way during major potential events since I was 12 years old.

I'm still waiting to experience a landfalling cane here. Was in northern Vt during Bob and was too young during Gloria. That's the only phenomena I can think of that I've missed. Tornado, blizzards, big hail, ice storms, extreme cold etc: check. Just one left to go.

lol if this was a winter storm and we went OT you would move posts in a second

lol odd response by William

Odd response by someone who has been so opposed to subforums all these years...and now wants to only discuss the play by play of a storm that is likely going to have no impact on New England in the New England subforum.

I'm fine talking about the storm, but this thread was originally about how it might impact us and not really a PBP thread...and I was pointing out that we have some of the better posters for tropical systems posting in a designated thread in the main forum.

I don't think I'd be moving those OT posts in the winter either...it would be comparable to people talking about a winter storm that is like 500 miles away from New England after all the models trended away from a hit.

Like I said, talk away...but lets not pretend this is a hugely important thread for our subforum now...given the impacts are likely to be nothing outside of some good body surfing in front of Taylor Swift's pad.

Archived