Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Hurricane Joaquin 2015

Solak

You have to know when CR is poking fun.

Yeah...I said earlier that we're dealing with some pretty unusual features that have converged in temporal proximity. There could very well be surprises, as there often are with strong canes. But the Euro has been steadfast, and so it makes it hard to bet too strongly against. :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...I said earlier that we're dealing with some pretty unusual features that have converged in temporal proximity. There could very well be surprises, as there often are with strong canes. But the Euro has been steadfast, and so it makes it hard to bet too strongly against. :)

Oh I agree. The euro has not wavered much at all. You are right the upper air flow has a lot going on and this is a unique situation either way it turns out.

Greetings everyone, and I hope you are well.  :)

This is an amazing hurricane, and it is in a dangerous position for the east coast. We won't have a good handle on its track until it at least starts to turn northward.

The emphasis in the media has been put too heavily on the model differences and the euro winning again. Its a point of course, but more to the point is this major hurricane still in a dangerous position.

mercy...nam has it making landfall SOUTH of charleston...only 700 or 800 miles difference from 6 hours ago.

I lived in PA for many years, and the NAM often sniffed out track changes in winter storms first.  It may be one of the worst models to base a forecast upon, but it is a good trip wire model when changes are afoot.  Doesn't mean it has the correct forecast, but it is a trend setter of sorts.

The NAM makes landfall near Charleston, SC. Well, then.... Is this the NAM being the NAM or will some other models follow suit tonight? Recall the Canadian and NAVGEM also currently show landfalls in the Carolinas.

And we should fairly point out that just as the ECWMFZQLOL has been a steady fish, the Navgem has been a rock solid hit every time. What does the Navy know that the Europeans don't, I wonder?

The NAM makes landfall near Charleston, SC. Well, then.... Is this the NAM being the NAM or will some other models follow suit tonight? Recall the Canadian and NAVGEM also showed landfalls in the Carolinas at 12z.

RGEM will be out in 20 mins, if it gets it west of 75w at 24 hours then we have something.

Man. Way out east on the new NHC cone

They had mentioned that in the 8:00 update, and mention moving it even further East in the 11:00 disco...

Recent reconnaissance fixes suggest that Joaquin has turned westwardand slowed down, with an initial motion of 260/3.  The mid- toupper-level ridge that has been steering Joaquin southwestward isexpected to quickly weaken overnight while a mid- to upper-leveltrough over the southeastern United States deepens and cuts off.This should cause Joaquin to turn northward on Friday, and movenorth-northeastward at a faster forward speed Friday night andSaturday.  The model envelope has again shifted eastward, with theGFDL and NAVGEM models now joining the other dynamical models whichkeep Joaquin offshore of the United States east coast.  This hasrequired another eastward shift to the NHC forecast, but it stilllies to the west of the multi-model consensus and the most recentruns of the GFS and ECMWF models.  The updated track is closest tothe GFS ensemble mean.  Additional eastward adjustments could berequired to the official forecast overnight.

The NAM makes landfall near Charleston, SC. Well, then.... Is this the NAM being the NAM or will some other models follow suit tonight? Recall the Canadian and NAVGEM also showed landfalls in the Carolinas at 12z.

I certainly wouldn't go against the Euro and GFS because the NAM had a crazy run but it is a unique setup for sure. I'm interested to see the GFS. 

Archived