Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Hurricane Joaquin 2015

Solak

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There seems to be argument over what is a cat 4 and a cat 3.  Wral keeps saying it's at 130mph now, however the nhc says 135mph now?????  NHC has a scale that says 130 and 135 are cat 4. Just last night it was 130mph on Wral and NHC and both saying a cat 4....  So, how does Wral decide this morning it's a cat 3 at 130mph?  It's like Wral uses the 2 saffir's I've seen at whim.  Plus, Wral said all the models are including the euro, are still coming in east.  Litterally, they never moved west during the night?????   :axe:

Can someone elaborate on this and help us out because I noticed a lot of people on social media asking the same question and some have been redacting and going back to cat 4 in their posts were earlier they say cat 3 mentioned.  I noticed even a few news channels corrected themselves too.

Thanks.

There seems to be argument over what is a cat 4 and a cat 3. Wral keeps saying it's at 130mph now, however the nhc says 135mph now????? NHC has a scale that says 130 and 135 are cat 4. Just last night it was 130mph on Wral and NHC and both saying a cat 4.... So, how does Wral decide this morning it's a cat 3 at 130mph? It's like Wral uses the 2 saffir's I've seen at whim. Plus, Wral said all the models are including the euro, are still coming in east. Litterally, they never moved west during the night????? :axe:

Can someone elaborate on this and help us out because I noticed a lot of people on social media asking the same question and some have been redacting and going back to cat 4 in their posts were earlier they say cat 3 mentioned. I noticed even a few news channels corrected themselves too.

Thanks.

NHC is actually showing the winds at 130 MPH also but either waytheit's still a cat 4. In reference to the fact they're saying t models are coming in East they are referring to still being OTS.

NHC says sustained winds 135mph  i just looked.  either way, I agree it's a 4.  News is saying a 3 even 2 mins ago.  Some stations saying 132mph.  I know we are arguing about small numbers, but I'm questioning the consistency in reporting.

I just saw Wilmington had near 3in just overnight and its working it's way here to add to this.  

thanks

NHC says sustained winds 135mph i just looked. either way, I agree it's a 4. News is saying a 3 even 2 mins ago.

I just saw Wilmington had near 3in just overnight and its working it's way here to add to this.

thanks

Not sure where you're seeing 135 MPH. And not sure why WRAL is saying cat 3.

5:00 AM EDT Fri Oct 2

Moving: NW at 3 mph

Min pressure: 935 mb

Max sustained: 130 mph

Just copied and pasted from the NHC website.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/084015.shtml?5-daynl#contents

This is the image and info various news are sharing.  Again, we are seeing 130, 132, and 135mph on media.  either way, I agree it is a cat 4, unlike many reports just this last hour.

That's actually funny I didn't notice that but on the main website and in the public advisory it does say 130 mph.

Apples and Oranges.... but if its a 3 say it is a 3. If it is a 4, say it is a 4! lol Again, Wral in the last 24hrs has said 130mph is a 4 and now 130mph is a 3. That's crazy to me.

130 was a 3 until recently when the lower bound of the category 4 range was changed from 131 to 130. I'm sure they are making an honest mistake.

SUMMARY OF 800 AM EDT...1200 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...23.4N 74.8W

ABOUT 30 MI...50 KM NNE OF CLARENCE LONG ISLAND BAHAMAS

ABOUT 45 MI...70 KM SSW OF SAN SALVADOR BAHAMAS

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...130 MPH...215 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 315 DEGREES AT 3 MPH...6 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...937 MB...27.67 INCHES

Use the cork in the stream analogy JB uses and watch the clouds out in front that shows you the path. Watch it over the next 24 hrs and it will tell you where this thing is headed. Also notice the pinch from HP to the canes NE and ULL to its NW. They will both force it north today. It will have to start moving now and want be allow to sit idle.

Use the cork in the stream analogy JB uses and watch the clouds out in front that shows you the path. Watch it over the next 24 hrs and it will tell you where this thing is headed. Also notice the pinch from HP to the canes NE and ULL to its NW. They will both force it north today. It will have to start moving now and want be allow to sit idle.

Looks like its getting slightly squished and orienting NW to SE some. That NE side is looking flattened out somewhat to me. Won't mean anything in the end because the models shifted east again but just solely looking at WV its hard to see this thing wanting to move due northeast into a high that's sliding SW.

Every OTS model has the track start barreling NE pretty soon. The thing is it's going to have to plow through that Atlantic high we can see pressing down on it from that direction. I can see a route it might take to get out without landfall, but it has to go way closer to the coast than any OTS models currently show.

Looks like its getting slightly squished and orienting NW to SE some. That NE side is looking flattened out somewhat to me. Won't mean anything in the end because the models shifted east again but just solely looking at WV its hard to see this thing wanting to move due northeast into a high that's sliding SW.

I agree it looks impossible for this thing to go NE right now but that's the thing the GFS/Euro doesn't have the center of the storm getting north of say Miami for 30 more hrs so the setup will look different by then....that's how I think we will know if the storm starts to move NW or N in earnest early then the chances of a capture are much much higher IMO.....but if it hangs out down there another day the models have it right.

Archived