• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Hurricane Joaquin 2015

Solak

The further SW it goes, wouldn't that possibly change the interaction with the ULL?

I think the farther SW it goes, the more apt it will be to get punted by the ULL instead of incorporated.  You'd want it to be trucking NW by now, if you want it to be captured.

Yeah. Essentially want it to be as close to the coast as possible and get out ahead of the ULL (aka be faster) so unless Joaquin can speed up it's getting punted.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like Jon said its all about timing, the Euro and GFS keep him down in the Bahamas for the next 24-30 hrs, most of the model runs that have a landfall have him moving north by later tonight into tomorrow so if he is stalled and hanging out near where he is now by tomorrow morning then I think the OTS will be locked in.....if he turns north and is moving NW or N by tomorrow morning at a decent clip then I think maybe the OTS isnt a sure thing.

Like Jon said its all about timing, the Euro and GFS keep him down in the Bahamas for the next 24-30 hrs, most of the model runs that have a landfall have him moving north by later tonight into tomorrow so if he is stalled and hanging out near where he is now by tomorrow morning then I think the OTS will be locked in.....if he turns north and is moving NW or N by tomorrow morning at a decent clip then I think maybe the OTS isnt a sure thing.

He is currently sailing in a southwesterly direction for some reason.

The wedge! :)

Remember your lesson for this event and practice chanting it: don't be in the bullseye 5 days out!

Mostly applies to winter! :)

Never underestimate the power of the wedge.  And tropical systems usually end up farther east than modeled.  Now where have I heard that last one before?  :whistle:

Most likely we are seeing little cyclonic loops as the eye wall evens out so the loops can look like its moving one way when its not....I would say averaged out he has been mostly west the last 6 hrs or so, with a south wobble recently and maybe slowing down a bit but that could also be a bit of eye retraction......really its gonna take a huge bust now for this thing to hit the EC and the thing to look for is a faster motion to the north than forecast this thing has to be getting NW or N and a good clip to match the timing and evolution of the pattern the landfalling runs had....and even then if the ULL is faster/stronger it wont matter its still OTS.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/11L/flash-rbtop-long.html​​

Archived