Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Hurricane Joaquin 2015

Solak

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And structurally he continues to improve the eye looks smallish for sure so he may wind up to Cat 5 today...then I suspect he would ERC and pop a bigger eye and level out at a high end Cat 3 low end Cat 4 for a day or so with a nice stadium eye....

edit: I know its generally a crappy model but the HWRF has its current strength and motioned captured better than any other model at this time

Eye is actually 32nm wide it's just not cleared out for the most part yet. When it does it'll be quite large! Also keep an eye on RGEM for track as well. It's done a good job with it.

Eskimo Joe from the Mid Atlantic forum posted this: "Based off the GOES rapid scan, it looks like the turn to the northwest is starting."

As a reference, the 0z Euro has it SW until roughly 8pm tonight, it's as far south as 22.5, then it's nearly stationary for 12 hours and then slowly trickles north for another 18 hours and then it starts moving NE late Friday night.  It's between 22.5N-24N at 75W for 48 hours.  

In fact, from the 3 hour panels I have on the Euro it never moves NW, give or take a wobble in between the 3 hour increments and it never gets west of 75W.

As a reference, the 0z Euro has it SW until roughly 8pm tonight, it's as far south as 22.5, then it's nearly stationary for 12 hours and then slowly trickles north for another 18 hours and then it starts moving NE late Friday night.  It's between 22.5N-24N at 75W for 48 hours.  

In fact, from the 3 hour panels I have on the Euro it never moves NW, give or take a wobble in between the 3 hour increments and it never gets west of 75W.

I was just saying in the Mid Atl forum how the Euro has the storm from where it is now tmoving SW slowly and then basically back to this spot over the next 42 hrs....so according to Euro this thing should still be roughly where it is right now by Sat morning.....

I was just saying in the Mid Atl forum how the Euro has the storm from where it is now tmoving SW slowly and then basically back to this spot over the next 42 hrs....so according to Euro this thing should still be roughly where it is right now by Sat morning.....

Roughly, yes.  It has it moving from 22.5W/75N to 24W/75N from now until roughly midnight tomorrow night and then it starts trucking NE.

I've decided to take a day off of watching and let it shake out some. I'm in raleigh and I-40 is largely shut down west of highway 1 so be warned if your in raleigh area.

He is a straight beast but until he starts moving north it's a toss up

Off topic, but why is I40 shut down Shaggy?  Certainly not tied to weather?

if it was gonna come make landfall it would only be a cat 1 or 2. im saying painful for the GFS failing all the time. Its time we start actually funding the NCEP properly  and stop making excuses. Have some common sense. 

Hurricane Floyd made landfall in NC as a Category 2 hurricane...

And this one appears that it has the potential to be a mega-rain producer as Floyd was.

Comparing the GFS to the Euro at midnight tomorrow night, the GFS has Joaquin 140-150 miles north of Euro and it still misses wide right.  This is just for reference to see who is doing better, GFS is at 75W/26N and Euro is at 75W/24N.

The 6z HWRF is roughly inline with the GFS.

Hey guys, new to this forum so this will be my first post.

On the matter of Joaquin, I know we like to think ridges and troughs will have something to do with its movement but aren't majors like this typically able to create/change their environment and, in a sense, have a "mind of its own"? 

Also, random thought, but it feels extremely weird to live in SFla and not have any concern over a major currently battering the Bahamas in a general WSW track  :blink:

Probably. And it only shows 1-3" for Charlotte.

What do the surface temps looks like.....er nevermind, a few months early!

Checking in early on our interesting weather situation.  Count me in as doubtful Joaquin will hit NC.  That's just a weird track that's just not probable in my mind.  Charlotte just rarely gets such extreme weather.  I doubt CLT gets very much rain either, just hard to believe.  Though the 1-3 inches is believable hard to think we'll get much more than that.   

It's cleared up now, but for a while there there were 4 accidents between 540 and Hwy 1.

Yeah all accident related. I 40 wasn't moving and everyone was jumping onto side roads and they were backing up too.

Fully expect a shift east on models and forecast track

All we have to do today is watch the storm motion.  The sooner it starts heading NW the higher chance of a landfall.  GFS and EURO have that thing hanging out in the Bahams for atleast a day. But latest frames show the eye slowly pushing NW IF this continues and if the storm manages to push just south of San Salvador today then I bet on a landfall.

NHC at 11AM says the center is supposed to be literally 10 miles south of where it is right now at 8Pm tonight... Unless this storm hits a brick wall that's going to be very wrong. 

I think one telling factor will be.... the current forecast keeps Juaquin East of 75°. Should it venture to 'the other side', that would have implications down the road a few days.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDSINIT  01/1500Z 23.0N  73.9W  110 KT 125 MPH 12H  02/0000Z 22.9N  74.2W  115 KT 130 MPH 24H  02/1200Z 23.7N  74.6W  120 KT 140 MPH 36H  03/0000Z 25.2N  74.4W  120 KT 140 MPH 48H  03/1200Z 27.5N  73.7W  110 KT 125 MPH 72H  04/1200Z 32.0N  73.0W   95 KT 110 MPH 96H  05/1200Z 36.0N  73.5W   75 KT  85 MPH120H  06/1200Z 40.0N  72.5W   55 KT  65 MPH

Archived