Newest Member
    joxey
Met Autumn BANTER

dmillz25

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Record breaking winter

1941-42 started out mild but turned cold in January and February...there were two late winter storms that year...One on 3/29 and the other in mid April...The city got an inch of slush while inland got a foot or more...Throughout all this the temperature never got below 33 after February and seasonal snowfall was light...1941-42 was a third straight el nino year...

Agree, we've largely been torching since May outside of a minor chilly period in June

Can we cut it out with the word "torch"?  Torch has a specific meaning in weather board parlance - it means when you get a strong zonal flow in the winter, when the area is flooded with dry pacific air that has a downslope component that can spike temps from the 30s into the lower 50s, and also eats snow.  It's the east coast's mini-Chinook.

Above average temps are not inherently a "torch", a dry ridge sitting over head isn't a torch, and neither is a mT southerly flow.  If you're going to say "torch" instead of "warm", at least use it right. 

Can we cut it out with the word "torch"?  Torch has a specific meaning in weather board parlance - it means when you get a strong zonal flow in the winter, when the area is flooded with dry pacific air that has a downslope component that can spike temps from the 30s into the lower 50s, and also eats snow.  It's the east coast's mini-Chinook.

Above average temps are not inherently a "torch", a dry ridge sitting over head isn't a torch, and neither is a mT southerly flow.  If you're going to say "torch" instead of "warm", at least use it right. 

I would also argue that it isn't accurate to say we've been torching since May. Certainly, the months of May and September, and to a somewhat lesser extent, August, were anomalously warm, and therefore the summer feels quite extended this year (much like a cold Nov and March would make winter feel long). However, June and July were not that warm relative to normal. The more accurate description of this summer is a "bookend blowtorch" due to May and Aug-Sep.

Agree...way overused. Currently 86 degrees here.

upton's forecast for me looks like something out of L.A.

-

Tonight
Clear, with a low around 63. South wind 5 to 8 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 82. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 8 mph in the afternoon.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 63. South wind 3 to 7 mph.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 81. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 9 mph in the morning.
Saturday Night
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 66. South wind 5 to 7 mph becoming calm after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Sunday
Partly sunny, with a high near 75.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 54.
Monday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 71.
Monday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 54.
Tuesday
Partly sunny, with a high near 73.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 55.
Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 74.
Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 56.
Thursday

upton's forecast for me looks like something out of L.A.

-

Tonight

Clear, with a low around 63. South wind 5 to 8 mph becoming calm after midnight.

Friday

Sunny, with a high near 82. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 8 mph in the afternoon.

Friday Night

Mostly clear, with a low around 63. South wind 3 to 7 mph.

Saturday

Sunny, with a high near 81. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 9 mph in the morning.

Saturday Night

A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 66. South wind 5 to 7 mph becoming calm after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Sunday

Partly sunny, with a high near 75.

Sunday Night

Partly cloudy, with a low around 54.

Monday

Mostly sunny, with a high near 71.

Monday Night

Mostly cloudy, with a low around 54.

Tuesday

Partly sunny, with a high near 73.

Tuesday Night

Partly cloudy, with a low around 55.

Wednesday

Wednesday Night

Partly cloudy, with a low around 56.

Thursday

That's the major reason I never moved to California despite being an avid surfer. I just love weather too much and that would drive me nuts!!!

That's the major reason I never moved to California despite being an avid surfer. I just love weather too much and that would drive me nuts!!!

While I would agree that California is fairly boring weather-wise, we're certainly no Denver. We get like one major event per year, maybe two. I don't think it'd be much of an adjustment, honestly.

Fall = storms = waves = much better then weeks on weeks of flat ocean and stuffy subways. This hurricane season was/is non existent. Even September 97 had a long track Cape Verde major that sent solid swell to the east coast. Danny = what waves. To small to far

Listen, I'm all about fall storms and huge surf, but it will come- and it will probably change on a dime. Until then, enjoy September summer bonus weather. The summer hurricane season was a dud- but I guess I was prepared for that.

And as far as the subways- like I've said, they suck all the time, no matter the weather.

While I would agree that California is fairly boring weather-wise, we're certainly no Denver. We get like one major event per year, maybe two. I don't think it'd be much of an adjustment, honestly.

Yeah, parts of California could be pretty boring. Not all of it though. Especially up North they have some interesting weather. I've seen them get frost at night, and be in the 70s or even 80s during the day. Lake Tahoe snow is pretty cool to see as well.

Overall, on our side of the country, I think the Appalachians are a nice spot to see some unique weather.

Listen, I'm all about fall storms and huge surf, but it will come- and it will probably change on a dime. Until then, enjoy September summer bonus weather. The summer hurricane season was a dud- but I guess I was prepared for that.

And as far as the subways- like I've said, they suck all the time, no matter the weather.

I was to young to surf winters yet back in 97-98 (not that many people did as wetsuits we're archaic by today's standerds)but I was doing a coastal erosion project for Westinghouse science contest and took measurements through out the winter at Gilgo. The noreasters that winter we're just nuts. Multiple big guys with serious erosion. I thought ocean parkway would breach. Of course it didn't till Sandy but I think we see serious coastals soon. The only question is do we rain or snow!!

I was to young to surf winters yet back in 97-98 (not that many people did as wetsuits we're archaic by today's standerds)but I was doing a coastal erosion project for Westinghouse science contest and took measurements through out the winter at Gilgo. The noreasters that winter we're just nuts. Multiple big guys with serious erosion. I thought ocean parkway would breach. Of course it didn't till Sandy but I think we see serious coastals soon. The only question is do we rain or snow!!

Plenty of warm waters off the coast to fuel storms. With the Nino pumping the southern stream I think we see some good storms. My heart wants snow but my brain tells me probably more rain- for the coast anyway. Maybe this is the year where the big snows return to the poconos and Catskills.

Our weather is far superior to Denver. I guess Long Island is in a class of its own. There is only one other place that could possibly rival our weather, that would be Japan. New Zealand and Eastern Austrailia are distant runners.

People get spoiled here after so many years of high expectations. Plus the rest of the world outside the tropics is like a giant San Diego, days and days of dry and sunny. Or it's really cloudy and really stable.

Archived