Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Met Autumn BANTER

dmillz25

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to worry about these super warm water temps. I think it's almost a given the first half of the winter breaks some hearts at the coast. There is serious rain snow line potential.

The one glimmer of hope is that the -epo just dumps cold air and we see a return to nornal or possibly below water temps (locally)

Just look at the cold wet spring we didn't have despite near record cold water

I'm starting to worry about these super warm water temps. I think it's almost a given the first half of the winter breaks some hearts at the coast. There is serious rain snow line potential.

The one glimmer of hope is that the -epo just dumps cold air and we see a return to nornal or possibly below water temps (locally)

I will be shedding the same amount of tears for you guys this Winter as you did for me last year when I was too far inland or too far North for almost every big storm.

In all seriousness, water temps as far as rain/snow lines are concerned are way overrated once more than a mile or two inland. If anything, these warm temps will add even more fuel to the Noreaster fire. If we get a lot of coastal huggers (Something I would welcome and expect) than it won't matter if the ocean is frozen over or 60 degrees.

chilly waters can add punch to a BDCF but they won't drive the pattern that produces them

chilly waters can add punch to a BDCF but they won't drive the pattern that produces them

That's very true. However in this case warmer water temps can and do influence the placement of the coastal front during given storms. As far as getting the water back to normal again as you said that's a function of the pattern

That's very true. However in this case warmer water temps can and do influence the placement of the coastal front during given storms. As far as getting the water back to normal again as you said that's a function of the pattern

The water can drop to normal range with 1 week of cold weather.

I know that it was a very rare case since it was part of the Sandy pattern, but we did

very well on 11/7/12 with Ocean temps in the mid 50's.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/StormEvents/storm11072012.html

That one inch from LGA is the biggest joke. Ag3 posted a pic from the actual airport and there were several inches accumulated there.

I had 7 inches of the heaviest paste only 6 blocks from Long Island Sound. It snapped a branch that wrecked the roof of my car (but still drivable.) East Central Queens had between 8 and 9 inches of snow. There were lines hanging so low that when I was driving to work they were scraping the top of my car. It was the craziest thing I had ever seen.

I know that it was a very rare case since it was part of the Sandy pattern, but we did

very well on 11/7/12 with Ocean temps in the mid 50's.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/StormEvents/storm11072012.html

almost 7" imby on S.I....October 2011 was more unseasonable...years with significant snowfalls before mid November like 1953, 2011 and 12 had hardly any snow in December...1987 had one on the Nov 11th but it had snow at the end of December and more in January...1987-88 started out great but February's storm was mostly rain in the city but over a foot of snow in the Poconos...That winter had a disappointing second half...2012-13 is the only winter with near average seasonal snowfall...

If the winds are coming from a long trek of cold land (NE or NNE), it doesn't really matter how warm the ocean is. If the antecedent airmass is mild or if the winds are more easterly, then the water temps kill snow chances near the coast in December. The contrast between warm ocean and cold land actually drives Nor'easters to be stronger. That's what often sets up these crazy NJ bands like during the Boxing Day 2010 storm. 

That one inch from LGA is the biggest joke. Ag3 posted a pic from the actual airport and there were several inches accumulated there.

I had 7 inches of the heaviest paste only 6 blocks from Long Island Sound. It snapped a branch that wrecked the roof of my car (but still drivable.) East Central Queens had between 8 and 9 inches of snow. There were lines hanging so low that when I was driving to work they were scraping the top of my car. It was the craziest thing I had ever seen.

Long Beach right on the ocean had half a foot of snow. Nassau County in general had over half a foot. There are numerous pictures around of Sandy related debris in Long Beach caked in snow. In a way though we lucked out. Had the storm been not much further west, there would have been no snow but 60-70+ mph winds and another storm surge. We were actually under another hurricane force wind warning that morning, and any residents still in town were told to get out because there was absolutely no defense against another surge at that point.

Archived