wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Met Autumn BANTER

dmillz25

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? Wow that's a shame to hear. Probably one of the nicest parts of the State.

How can you say Montana is your favorite state if you've never been there?

Yes, I've been there twice and it is awesome and beautiful. Worked outside of Glacier National Park for 4 months one summer.

View from trail in the park:

post-475-0-86236000-1442276563_thumb.jpg

Yes, I've been there twice and it is awesome and beautiful. Worked outside of Glacier National Park for 4 months one summer.

montanagorgeous.jpg

Wow really stunning. Big sky country for sure.

Today was just great weather wise in NYC. Perfect for a guy who works outside such as myself!!

Today was the first morning in quite some time that had a chill in the air down here. It was in the mid to upper 60s when I left for work this morning and even though the high made it to 90, it was a gorgeous day. The humidity's also gone. :thumbsup:

Gorgeous outside season's right around the corner!! Of course, the El Nino isn't going to stay away forever and it's only a matter of time before the subtropical jet from Mexico rears itself again...

attachicon.gifmontanagorgeous.jpg

Easy, it's like having a favorite car you've always wanted but never driving it. I've always liked everything about it, the land, the mountains, and the unique weather. Plus, it's a heck of a lot better than Jersey...

Great shot.

Really? Wow that's a shame to hear. Probably one of the nicest parts of the State.

Absolutely.  And yes, it is a shame.  Many Glacier Hotel is a historic landmark that's been around literally exactly 100 years and there are numerous pictures throughout the hotel detailing the extent of the park's glaciers through history.  It's absolutely stunning, and heartbreaking, to see how sharply the glaciers have receded.  I had a hard time believing it.  And as a great deal of the park's lakes and rivers are heavily glacier-fed, their disappearance will not just impact the scenery but will almost certainly devastate the ecology.  You owe it to yourself to see the place sooner rather than later.  Remember that it's not just about the scenery, Glacier is a major wildlife reserve for this country.  There are so many animals who are totally extirpated from their historic range in most of the rest of the United States, but have carved out a place for themselves in Glacier and Montana.

I happened upon a napping adult grizzly bear who decided to walk out onto the trail not 10 feet away from me.  A monstrous animal, the largest wild animal I have ever encountered by far.  There could be a lot of Americans who will never be able to know that experience in America.  I'm not saying that's a certainty just saying that I think it's possible a great natural resource and piece of our country's heritage has the end of its days in sight.  If some glib optimist would like to tell me how I am wrong I am all ears.

So yeah, plan your trip soon.

When I was in northern Montana from May-August 2010, some trails out of Many Glacier were closed due to high grizzly bear activity. The day I hiked to Iceberg Lake, we saw a mother grizzly with three cubs; earlier in the day, a bear had charged a hiker, but then backed off, on the same trail. Iceberg Lake is one of the most beautiful places you will see on the North American continent.

A lot of people carried bear spray in northern Montana due to the grizzly threat. There was also a lot of milder wildlife I saw such as bighorn sheep, moose, mountain goats, marmots, etc. It was a bit of a relief when I went south to Utah (Mirror Lake wilderness) and northeast Nevada (Ruby Mtns/East Humboldt Range) not to have to deal with as much dangerous wildlife.

When I was in northern Montana from May-August 2010, some trails out of Many Glacier were closed due to high grizzly bear activity. The day I hiked to Iceberg Lake, we saw a mother grizzly with three cubs; earlier in the day, a bear had charged a hiker, but then backed off, on the same trail. Iceberg Lake is one of the most beautiful places you will see on the North American continent.

A lot of people carried bear spray in northern Montana due to the grizzly threat. There was also a lot of milder wildlife I saw such as bighorn sheep, moose, mountain goats, marmots, etc. It was a bit of a relief when I went south to Utah (Mirror Lake wilderness) and northeast Nevada (Ruby Mtns/East Humboldt Range) not to have to deal with as much dangerous wildlife.

Just for the record, moose are the park's most dangerous animals. Which I found surprising.

Absolutely. And yes, it is a shame. Many Glacier Hotel is a historic landmark that's been around literally exactly 100 years and there are numerous pictures throughout the hotel detailing the extent of the park's glaciers through history. It's absolutely stunning, and heartbreaking, to see how sharply the glaciers have receded. I had a hard time believing it. And as a great deal of the park's lakes and rivers are heavily glacier-fed, their disappearance will not just impact the scenery but will almost certainly devastate the ecology. You owe it to yourself to see the place sooner rather than later. Remember that it's not just about the scenery, Glacier is a major wildlife reserve for this country. There are so many animals who are totally extirpated from their historic range in most of the rest of the United States, but have carved out a place for themselves in Glacier and Montana.

I happened upon a napping adult grizzly bear who decided to walk out onto the trail not 10 feet away from me. A monstrous animal, the largest wild animal I have ever encountered by far. There could be a lot of Americans who will never be able to know that experience in America. I'm not saying that's a certainty just saying that I think it's possible a great natural resource and piece of our country's heritage has the end of its days in sight. If some glib optimist would like to tell me how I am wrong I am all ears.

So yeah, plan your trip soon.

I did some research on the park, and yeah it's declining. The pictures really do the talking. It's something I want to see for sure, and I will one day.

Thanks a lot for the heads up too.

Sorry it was meant for the enso thread

To be fair, his response was in the ENSO thread too. It's nothing personal as I like most of the people that post here. I'm subtly trying to get everyone to post in the correct threads before winter starts. This year is not going to be a repeat of last year. I basically had to leave the board most of the winter.

Cheers to a good upcoming winter season guys. Hopefully it will be our best.

To be fair, his response was in the ENSO thread too. It's nothing personal as I like most of the people that post here. I'm subtly trying to get everyone to post in the correct threads before winter starts. This year is not going to be a repeat of last year. I basically had to leave the board most of the winter.

Cheers to a good upcoming winter season guys. Hopefully it will be our best.

No problem. Didn't realize you moved it.

Archived