joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Dog Days of Summer: August 2015 Discussion

dmillz25

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sickest thunderstorm in years here. Large trees and limbs down everywhere. Power is out. Heard what I presume to have been large hail hitting the house but it also could have been branches bouncing off. There was enough lightning to read by. Insane storm. It looks like a bomb went off.

Perfect description. Amazed by what seemed liked continuous lightning. Neighborhood is littered with decent sized branches and leaves.

The 0z GFS is mostly a NYC and east event as the low doesn't track as far north as the Euro.

Will probably need to wait until we get closer to know the exact track and placement of best

warm frontal overrunning. The GFS 4 inch plus jackpot is a few miles SE of MTP.

06z GFS is totally different then the euro now, has no rain and brings the low way ots. We need the rain hopefully the euro wins.

That was some of the loudest thunder ive ever heard...wow.

Bluewave, is the Euro slowing down a bit, or was this always a later friday/saturday chance? I havent paid much attention but i thought a few days ago it looked like thurs into fri.

That was some of the loudest thunder ive ever heard...wow.

Bluewave, is the Euro slowing down a bit, or was this always a later friday/saturday chance? I havent paid much attention but i thought a few days ago it looked like thurs into fri.

The euro moves rain into the area Friday morning and doesn't stop until 15z Saturday. Seems like it has slowed down the departure of the rain

Sickest thunderstorm in years here. Large trees and limbs down everywhere. Power is out. Heard what I presume to have been large hail hitting the house but it also could have been branches bouncing off. There was enough lightning to read by. Insane storm. It looks like a bomb went off.

Wow, and I slept through the whole thing.

Was woken up at 3:45 by one of the loudest thunder booms I have ever heard in midtown Manhattan. After that it was continuous flashes of light and more thunder. Sounded/looked like a warzone for a good 10 minutes. Rain was coming down hard too for a few minutes, sounded like hail pelting the window, but perhaps the rain was just that hard. Great storm overall and the first good storm I have gotten to watch from 10 stories up. 

Yeah very unstable. It was a decent thunderstorm here vivid lightning and thunder but nothing like eastern LI and SNE got hit pretty good.

42,000 on Long Island without power after a thunderstorm event ranks pretty high on the list.

http://www.newsday.com/news/weather/thunderstorm-hits-long-island-at-rush-hour-knocks-out-power-to-thousands-1.10705170

I think this may end up hitting Southern areas the hardest but the NAM does tug the circulation North in response to the mid-level centers closing off South of Long Island. You can see it clearly on the ECMWF 500mb vorticy graphics. The GFS on the other hand digs the trough much further South and by the time the energy gets tugged North it's too late. The GGEM on the other hand is pretty far North with the energy at H5 but doesn't close off like the Euro does, thus we get clipped by the initial system and then it blows up off offshore as there is no component to tug it back to the coast. 

Generally these events tend to end up further North than predicted 72 hours out. I hope the entire area receives a drenching rainfall.

Archived