Newest Member
    joxey
The Dog Days of Summer: August 2015 Discussion

dmillz25

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that was a derecho.

I missed the best here on the south shore but still had 40-50mph winds. Not damaging but Loud with the trees in full leaf

Best storm in several years

It did not meet official criteria for a derecho. It would have needed to been over a much longer distance. The damage really only started once it reached Long Island.

It was pretty much a classic MCS, or about as classic as you're going to find in this area.

It did not meet official criteria for a derecho. It would have needed to been over a much longer distance. The damage really only started once it reached Long Island.

It was pretty much a classic MCS, or about as classic as you're going to find in this area.

Didn't the same cluster continue in to RI and MA? Isn't that far enough?

See what I meant when I said the warm ocean temps corespond to the best severe season along the coast!!!! Pretty insane storm for the middle of the night anywhere

Didn't the same cluster continue in to RI and MA? Isn't that far enough?

See what I meant when I said the warm ocean temps corespond to the best severe season along the coast!!!! Pretty insane storm for the middle of the night anywhere

To meet official criteria the damage path needs to be at least 240 miles. The one that hit the Mid-Atlantic in 2010 initiated over IL/IN earlier in the day and cleared the coast overnight. That's a long haul. I don't know if the damage was consistent enough to qualify.

The storms over LI were as classic as the September, 2010 125mph macroburst/EF1 tornado in Queens. The Queens storm did much more damage as it was 125mph winds and over a much more populated area, but it's still a very impressive event that occurred today.

To meet official criteria the damage path needs to be at least 240 miles. The one that hit the Mid-Atlantic in 2010 initiated over IL/IN earlier in the day and cleared the coast overnight. That's a long haul. I don't know if the damage was consistent enough to qualify.

It was definitely very close to a derecho. Just a remarkable storm for LI.

The storms over LI were as classic as the September, 2010 125mph macroburst/EF1 tornado in Queens. The Queens storm did much more damage as it was 125mph winds and over a much more populated area, but it's still a very impressive event that occurred today.

That was a highly isolated event. 

This started just West of NYC and the damage path went all the way to Cape Cod, and arguably further if it didn't run out of land. 

Yesterday the 21z SREF severe probs were astounding for LI/SNE. They kept posting them in the New England thread. Great job by that model.

That was a highly isolated event. 

This started just West of NYC and the damage path went all the way to Cape Cod, and arguably further if it didn't run out of land. 

Yesterday the 21z SREF severe probs were astounding for LI/SNE. They kept posting them in the New England thread. Great job by that model.

What was isolated? The September, 2010 event?

It was isolated in terms of distance but in terms of population, it was very widespread and severe. The damage done is the same as a 500 mile long storm in the middle of nowhere. Dropped 2 separate tornadoes, including a real EF1, and in the same area also dropped a separate 125mph macroburst that covered almost 15 miles in heavily populated Queens.

I think for NYC itself, it was once in a lifetime type storm in 2010 and we wont ever see anything like that again.

It was isolated in terms of distance but in terms of population, it was very widespread and severe. The damage done is the same as a 500 mile long storm in the middle of nowhere. Dropped 2 separate tornadoes, including a real EF1, and in the same area also dropped a separate 125mph macroburst that covered almost 15 miles in heavily populated Queens.

That storm was just nuts. The damage path is still visable on the grand central in forest hills. With a complete blow down of huge mature trees. My grandma lived right in the path in an apartment building and thougt for sure there was a tornado and she had lived in Texas for years

I think for NYC itself, it was once in a lifetime type storm in 2010 and we wont ever see anything like that again.

My part of Brooklyn got quarter size hail and 90 mph winds from that macroburst/tornado.

We saw this in the winter with the euro op being to phase happy and bullish, I feel it backs off some what at 12z

Yeah, I would probably go with the ensemble mean for now and wait to see if models trend more north once we get under 72.

Archived