joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Dog Days of Summer: August 2015 Discussion

dmillz25

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully this isn't an early preview of a winter filled with euro teases. GFS has become the new Dr. No.

I am hoping that the Euro has a good winter since it usually does so well with the southern stream Miller A's.

We saw last winter how the OP could be shaky with northern stream or split flow Miller B's.

I am hoping that the Euro has a good winter since it usually does so well with the southern stream Miller A's.

We saw last winter how the OP could be shaky with northern stream or split flow Miller B's.

Wonder if the same rules apply?  This euro has been retooled since the last true Miller A winter

The Euro is 6"+ near Baltimore and barely 0.50"+ in Philly. NYC looks to be around a trace or so. 

I have a hard time believing that this will end up holding steady over the next 3+ days. I think odds are increasing that it ends up being more of strung out mess that produces some decent convection and not much more.

Wonder if the same rules apply?  This euro has been retooled since the last true Miller A winter

Next upgrade scheduled for early 2016.

Now that the current 41r1 e-suite is on track for implementation in May, we would like to communicate our longer-term plans in the coming year. 

These plans are of course only indicative at this stage, subject to changes as we proceed with experimentation in the Research Department and with the technical implementation.

Following preliminary scientific and technical studies, we have developed an ambitious plan for the next change of horizontal resolution. This resolution upgrade will keep the same resolution in spectral space as in current operations, but will use a much denser set of grid-points to better resolve physical processes. The associated grids will be referred to as "cubic octahedral", with the HRES and ENS resolutions being labelled as TCo1279 and TCo639 respectively, corresponding to a grid spacing of around 9 and 18km. The resulting meteorological fields will be more accurate and contain much more energy in the finer scales. The plan is to start running extensive Research experimentation in summer, provide first technical test data in autumn this year, for an implementation in early 2016.

The Euro is 6"+ near Baltimore and barely 0.50"+ in Philly. NYC looks to be around a trace or so. 

I have a hard time believing that this will end up holding steady over the next 3+ days. I think odds are increasing that it ends up being more of strung out mess that produces some decent convection and not much more.

following the GFS model as usual

My God, the 12z EURO really drops the hammer in the days 8-10 time frame. Carves out a deep trough which would keep us in the low 70's for highs around mid-month. It's not as bad as the interior which flirts with highs only reaching the mid 60's in places like Pittsburgh. Very Septemberish pattern.

My God, the 12z EURO really drops the hammer in the days 8-10 time frame. Carves out a deep trough which would keep us in the low 70's for highs around mid-month. It's not as bad as the interior which flirts with highs only reaching the mid 60's in places like Pittsburgh. Very Septemberish pattern.

would fit with some of the cooler augusts we've seen in recent years plus El Nino climo often favors a cool august here.  (Although that does seem like an over-done solution)

Oh for weathe for sure it's waaaaaay better. But it's also not cheap.

Boston wins though! Better winters, more severe and better chance at hurricanes

I just don't like areas where tall trees hang right over houses which is asking for trouble.

You can see a sample of the extensive tree damage to houses in the photo gallery below.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/fast-moving-storm-downs-trees-disrupts-lirr-1.10705682

Oh for weathe for sure it's waaaaaay better. But it's also not cheap.

Boston wins though! Better winters, more severe and better chance at hurricanes

we used to get more severe. i don't know if climate change has anything to do with it yet but we've had an awful stretch of luck since the mid 2000s

we used to get more severe. i don't know if climate change has anything to do with it yet but we've had an awful stretch of luck since the mid 2000s

It seems like it either goes north or south of us, nothing ever works out for the metro area anymore. Can't remember my last severe thunderstorm, it has been years.

Well it certainly looks like the GFS has won the battle. 18z barely grazes the DC area. But will the GFS win the war? Models have been too inconsistent, even at short range to take any one scenario as definite. If the concensus today was for 2" there would still be a whole bunch of skeptical posters so now it's time to be skeptical about a complete miss.

Archived