joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Dog Days of Summer: August 2015 Discussion

dmillz25

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not going to be a good NAM run, can already see that it's more progressive this run which isn't going to allow for the trailing energy to phase in.

The 0z OP Euro broke toward the ensembles which are more SE. We have been seeing the OP too amped up with

systems at times while the ensembles haven't been agreeing. The faux tropical spin up off the SE Coast last week

was a perfect example of the OP having no support and the weaker ensembles winning out. But when the 

ensembles and OP agree on a big storm it's game on.

Euro has been over amplified since last October.

The OP Euro periodically has had problems with certain types of weather patterns. It had a great season 09-10 with

the strong southern stream and El Nino. But it struggled during the La Nina in December 2010 with the false storm

signals before Boxing Day and missing that Friday run before the blizzard. It nailed the February 2013 Blizzard

phase. But the good thing is that we can usually detect it's off when the OP doesn't have ensemble support.

We'll see how things go when it get a resolution upgrade in 2016.

Lol how did last 2 so called storms turn out

It happens during Winter too, that doesn't mean that we go the entire Winter without a decent storm. I supposed we could but the odds are low.

For every five modeled threats during Winter we get lucky if one ends up close to what was shown. 

I admit that my confidence is below average given recent blunders.

Here is the 00z UKMET which shows an inland runner.

GZ_D5_PN_144_0000.gif

As far as this weekend is concerned, typically during Winter the UKMET has a Southeast bias which would in this case be a red flag that the models were too far South. I am not sure if that bias is applicable in this case or not, but then again this system is more typical of cold season than early August so who knows.

PA_000-072_0000.gif

The OP Euro periodically has had problems with certain types of weather patterns. It had a great season 09-10 with

the strong southern stream and El Nino. But it struggled during the La Nina in December 2010 with the false storm

signals before Boxing Day and missing that Friday run before the blizzard. It nailed the February 2013 Blizzard

phase. But the good thing is that we can usually detect it's off when the OP doesn't have ensemble support.

We'll see how things go when it get a resolution upgrade in 2016.

I thought last year it was horrible for east coast snowstorm threats. Countless number of times I asked myself why I was paying for it during the past winter. It was the last to cave for the blizzard bust at the end of January.

Maybe so, but this threat next week has been well advertised and it's supported by the ensembles.

ecmwf-ens_mslpa_eus_7.png

ecmwf_mslpa_eus_7.png

Euro ensembles are influenced by the op.

If the op is over amplified, the ensemble mean usually is also.

Especially inside of 120 hours.

I thought last year it was horrible for east coast snowstorm threats. Countless number of times I asked myself why I was paying for it during the past winter. It was the last to cave for the blizzard bust at the end of January.

It was probably a function of the split flow and active northern branch dominating the pattern. We saw this with the famous

March 2009 storm that never panned out also. People were annoyed with the late January event but it only missed the

20" line by something like 50-75 miles which really wasn't that terrible. The Jackpot ended up over Suffolk instead of

closer to NYC like it was showing days before. People wouldn't really notice if the storm was rain and NYC got closer

to an inch of rain instead of two.

There's no point of paying for it anymore.

Inside of 48 hours, Rgem is in a class of its own and outside of 48 hours, a combo of the free models are better then the euro.

Inside of 48 hours, Rgem is in a class of its own and outside of 48 hours, a combo of the free models are better then the euro.

The only point to ever pay for the Euro was to have it before everyone else does. Otherwise most of the time you can just come on here and get the Euro info from someone else. 

tropicaltidbits.com is a pretty good website with a lot of free, useful model graphics. Before that the main free options were the horrid NCEP site and the old e-wall graphics. 

It still beats all the other global models in the overall verification scores. But being the best doesn't mean perfect.

Archived