• Created
  • Last Reply

August through today is cooler than normal across most of the nation:

n1qw5y.png

ECWMF for the next 5 days:

2hq6jiv.png

The 17th-23rd:

10ejwcx.png

There should be significant warming in late August; however, to say August thus far has contradicted the analog consensus is wrong. Through August 15th, most of the nation will be near or below normal.

August will be cooler than normal across a large portion of the nation. I think we could see a heat wave in late August, though current modelling might be rushing it slightly. The forcing pattern in the tropical pacific argues for continued trough amplifications through the 20th or so in the Lakes/Northeast.

One can see the difference between suburbia stations and urban stations thus far in August, due to radiational cooling allowing for cooler nights.

NYC: +2.4

JFK: +2.8

TTN: +0.7

Reading PA: +0.2

Wilmington DE: +0.4

Atlantic City, NJ: +0.1

Allentown PA: -0.6

EWR at +1.2 with some radiational cooling.

One can see the difference between suburbia stations and urban stations thus far in August, due to radiational cooling allowing for cooler nights.

NYC: +2.4

JFK: +2.8

TTN: +0.7

Reading PA: +0.2

Wilmington DE: +0.4

Atlantic City, NJ: +0.1

Allentown PA: -0.6

EWR at +1.2 with some radiational cooling.

Yes it can be seen at my station also where after today the departure will be very close to 0 degrees.

Pretty much proves analogs are useless,@the situation that El Niño August temps are usually cool.

August 1997 was not particularly cool. 1972 had a nice heat wave centered around August 20. August 1969 had some heat though not concentrated in a heat wave. 2009 had its heat waves in April and August.  August 2009 was warmner than July.

I do know that some Nino Augusts were cool, such as 1982 and 1994. But I don't see that as an overall pattern.

This summer has the potential to be warmer than 2013 in terms of 90+ days and duration of warmth.  May - Sep may wind up +2.5 . 

That wouldn't be hard for August. July 2013 is hard to top.

No. My second baby was born right around the middle of August. My wife's last two weeks of pregnancy were not particularly cool. Trust me on that. And the weekend after and the leadup to Labor Day were hot.

The temperature departures were already posted on this page showing a cooler than normal august.

This has been a fairly textbook summer El Nino temperature pattern across the US.

Cooler over the Great Lakes across New England and warmer in most other places.

But record warmth in the West has been stronger than usual due to the drought 

coupled with the record SST's and ridging continuing.

El Nino summer composite and trend to account for warming over time

Summer 2015 temps so far

quite the gradient b/w NNE and the mid Atlantic and even SNE.  Imagine that in the winter.... :whistle:

I will be happy with the standard reversal of the pattern for the winter with the warmth along the Northern Tier

to the Great Lakes. With close to normal -1 to +1  here and more snow than average.

Pretty much proves analogs are useless,@the situation that El Niño August temps are usually cool.

The one generality that usually holds is the NYC finishes the summer with a warmer departure than Chicago.

Some El Nino summers in NYC finish with above normal temperatures and others below. But we generally

don't get the extreme major heat signal of summers heading into a La Nina or a -PDO pattern like a 

2010, 2005, 1966, or 1999.

Latest guidance continues with a return of warmth on/around 8/15 and potential period of sustained above to much above normal into the week of 8/18...

Ridge building east of HI with subsequent troughing into the WC and building heights into the EC.

test8.gif

Overnight guidance  continues to advertise a warm to hot second half of august beginning on/around 8/15 with the first surge 8/17 - 8/19 as 850 temps are forecast to exceed 15C and approach 20c on occasion.  Beyond there, heights look elevated with additional surges of heat possible (8/20 - 8/24)

Archived