CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Potential for a rather potent severe weather event

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah Greenfield does allow us to virtually head in any direction we need.  Going to be tough tomorrow b/c we have to keep safety a priority and there are a lot of locations that can be dangerous...especially with numerous trees around.  

G'field also has the benefit of a Dunkin' Donuts and a McDonald's if needed.  I'm pretty sure that's tough to come by in Dave's hood.

Sucks about the clouds.  Could still get some much not-needed rain.

G'field also has the benefit of a Dunkin' Donuts and a McDonald's if needed.  I'm pretty sure that's tough to come by in Dave's hood.

Sucks about the clouds.  Could still get some much not-needed rain.

The real issue might be more of what's west.  That activity across NY/PA is moving pretty quickly.  Not sure if it fizzles or not but that may be with the front itself but if that comes through that could completely kill things b/c of timing.  

The real issue might be more of what's west. That activity across NY/PA is moving pretty quickly. Not sure if it fizzles or not but that may be with the front itself but if that comes through that could completely kill things b/c of timing.

That's going to create some cloud cover at least.

Looking at a few things this may actually be a Pike South event perhaps.  Looking quite interesting across central MA on South.  Maybe an area like this?  Have to look more in depth

new%20risk%20area_zpsvvzjiq4f.jpg

Wiz, there is wonderful hilltop in Charlton called Dresser hill with a west facing panorama. Easy access off 84 and rt 20. Clear view to Monson and Brimfield and the 2011 june tornado went straight at it. You can see forever and easy parking.

Great place for food up the street at the Clam box

Rt 20 east off 84, right on Masonic hill rd, bear right onto 31 and you're there.

I will be there. Good luck.

Andrew

The 6z NAM looks pretty damn terrific across southern MA into northern CT.  Gets steep lapse rates in along with moderate amounts of instability and pretty strong shear.  In fact, it has shear up close to 35 m/s with helicity approaching 300 which is very significant.  The GFS, on the other hand, is much faster with everything and we never realize much instability.  

The HRRR is also faster with timing showing a line of something moving through by 17z.  The HRRR does develop 1500-2000 Cape and has decent SIG TOR numbers but this timing may be a little too early.  It really all depends on just how much instability we have in place then.  But 1500-2000 would be pretty decent.  

I think we're cutting it very close though timing wise

That's going to create some cloud cover at least.

Hopefully some of the clouds erode away a bit.  It is great to see though mlvl lapse rates are increasing ahead of the activity to near 7 C/KM.  If we can get those in here and keep them overhead for a few hours at least and while activity is coming that would be a boost for some higher instability.

Wiz, there is wonderful hilltop in Charlton called Dresser hill with a west facing panorama. Easy access off 84 and rt 20. Clear view to Monson and Brimfield and the 2011 june tornado went straight at it. You can see forever and easy parking.

Great place for food up the street at the Clam box

Rt 20 east off 84, right on Masonic hill rd, bear right onto 31 and you're there.

I will be there. Good luck.

Andrew

Thanks!  If we head up that way I'll keep this in mind...sounds like a great place

Hopefully some of the clouds erode away a bit.  It is great to see though mlvl lapse rates are increasing ahead of the activity to near 7 C/KM.  If we can get those in here and keep them overhead for a few hours at least and while activity is coming that would be a boost for some higher instability.

Thanks!  If we head up that way I'll keep this in mind...sounds like a great place

I agree with this, great views from dairy stand at dresser hill

Seems like line of storms near Elmira would be in here by 12:30 -1:30. Too early to maximize peak heating and instability and too late to allow for a complete recovery. I think this may turn into a more scattered threat if this holds. Still opportunities for some. It has turned cloudy here.

Yeah, I think it's going to mess everything up. Way too much cloud debris and poor timing.

Not calling bust yet, but historically and recently just seems the hyped severe weather threats wind up underwhelming

yeah Greenfield does allow us to virtually head in any direction we need. Going to be tough tomorrow b/c we have to keep safety a priority and there are a lot of locations that can be dangerous...especially with numerous trees around.

LOL the chances of this busting are much higher than your getting hit by a dangerous tornado . You aren't chasing long track EF4s in the Plains.

LOL the chances of this busting are much higher than your getting hit by a dangerous tornado . You aren't chasing long track EF4s in the Plains.

it's not just about tornadoes it's about driving with strong winds and trees coming down or trees in the road.  It's probably more fine b/c it will be daylight but we had one case where it was just getting into evening in NW CT and the road we were on had trees down which were not easy to see.  

Archived