• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential for a rather potent severe weather event

weatherwiz

forky had made mention in the general t'storm thread but I started a separate thread for this potential event.  

The GFS is advertising the potential for a rather significant severe event to occur across much of the Northeastern states Tuesday including areas such as PA, portions of NY and much of central and southern New England.  

One eye opening aspect of the modeled setup is the potential for an elevated mixed-layer plume to work up and over the 700mb ridge from the central/southern Plains and into the Ohio Valley and then eventually into the Northeast:

0z%2020%20GFS%20700mb%20EML%20projection

As many are aware, one of the key ingredients in the higher end, more potent severe weather outbreaks is the presence of the elevated mixed-layer.  For anyone who isn't familiar with elevated-mixed layers to explain them simply, they are very strong capping inversions located typically between about 750-800mb to 550-600mb.  Below the capping inversion extreme instability is able to develop, especially if the low-level airmass is very moist and very warm.  The inversion also prevents drier air from the mid-levels mixing down and also prevents junk convection from firing.  

The second eye opening aspect being modeled is a rather impressive piece of s/w energy moving through at 500mb for late June.  One potential downfall, however, is the s/w could be a tad too far north.  Another 150 miles or so further south and we would see much stronger height falls, along with even stronger forcing.  

gfsNE_500_avort_096.gif

While this is not looking like a classic NW flow aloft, the flow is certainly westerly at 500mb and quite strong as well with the GFS advertising 50-60 knots working in during the morning hours on Tuesday.  With the low level flow potentially being more southwesterly this could yield large helicity values.  

It's a bit too early to get into further specifics and details, however, if other guidance is in line with the GFS and we continue to at least see EML advection being modeled and the s/w being as potent we could be looking at certainly the biggest event of the season (which won't be hard to do).  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good luck on Tuesday, I hope for you there is some wild weather close by which you can chase. youre as passionate about severe as I am about winter weather if not more so.

Unfortunately I have to work Tuesday but the 0z GFS was pretty impressive looking. Will be checking the GFS in an hour or so and seeing if that continues

Impressive...absolutely impressive.  Very step lapse rates, still some semblance of an EML, the shear...my God the shear...that is scary.  The shear in the lowest few km, both speed and directional shear is through the roof 

Very impressive look currently. I think we will have to wait a bit to see how upstream convection Sunday and Monday shakes out. This is certainly worth watching.

I just wish that s/w was tracking further south from it's current position.  Obviously time for that to change but not holding my breath.  We still have some height falls but the strongest remain closer to the US/Canadien border.  However, perhaps jet regions will help...and the jet is very strong.  

I just wish that s/w was tracking further south from it's current position.  Obviously time for that to change but not holding my breath.  We still have some height falls but the strongest remain closer to the US/Canadien border.  However, perhaps jet regions will help...and the jet is very strong.  

hope you get some excitement but IDK, wagons north it sems

SNH Maine?

probably eastern NY, central/northern MA and into portions of VT/NH/ME.  However, though we can't rule out south of the Pike into northern CT b/c there are still height falls present and the cap strength (at least as projected now) is only 1C or so which isn't terribly strong and the height falls would be enough to overcome but we'll see.  The more potent stuff may be closer to the s/w

Archived