joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential for a rather potent severe weather event

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And honestly, with all due respect, who cares what SPC has or doesn't have. That likes caring what WPC has in the winter for snow. Let the local people who know the climo try to figure it out.

Yeah - I don't really but there are a ton of forecasters around here who basically let SPC handle all their convection forecasting. 

Just call in sick dude and get your friend to chase. You work like a million jobs and are going to school in September anyway. What's one more mundane day at work compared to chasing tornadoes? Last time you decided to score a high school baseball game instead of seeing an EF3. I would think you learned a lesson but now you will miss a major, rare outbreak again.

I'm going to ask. But I've only been working here a couple months and I've only called out of work twice in my life. Hate asking

More rain for the parched grounds of northern VT. Could be a pretty nice dump with the morning MCS.

Mansfield may have a shot at wettest June on record. Yesterday's 4pm report was another 2.02" putting the total near 13", plus another 0.75" last night and today. Record is around 15.25".

But no severe it sounds like, just rain.

Depends on where you are. They don't have a super-low look to me and I'm also noticing across SNE that 0-3km CAPE is pretty meager.

In all honesty I don't really like the chances down this way. I think this is central NE and north type event but I guess we'll see how things shape up in the AM

In all honesty I don't really like the chances down this way. I think this is central NE and north type event but I guess we'll see how things shape up in the AM

You are going for areas that a have greater chance of seeing more morning convection or debris, in my opinion. The best shear and forcing, is not always the optimal area for the most severe.

The NAM is also a lot slower with the line further South into the Mid-Atlantic. 3500 J/KG SBCAPE into NYC ahead of the line with 2000-3500 J/KG in patches from VA all the way up into Maine. The remnant MCS over Iowa this morning basically dumps all across Upstate NY, VT, NH and then into Maine killing the severe threat for later, although there could certainly be some isolated severe just about everywhere tomorrow afternoon. 

I'm going to ask. But I've only been working here a couple months and I've only called out of work twice in my life. Hate asking

If you haven't called out a lot, then you'll have no trouble. I missed 8 days of school last year and was re-hired no problem. Sometimes it's better to just definitively say you're sick instead of asking permission. Don't feel guilty, this is your passion, not scoring ballgames or unloading boxes or posting Craigslist ads.

Severe storms and tornadoes happen once every 3-4 years in SNE so it is a rare event.

As you say, best threat for TOR is like ALB to CAR. Should be some interesting potential where the Hudson and Mohawk Rivers converge as well as central Maine just south of Katahdin...

I think the farther north you are the more you'll have to deal with morning crap. I actually like the look to the south with plenty of CAPE and strong shear remaining. There's enough forcing to erode any CIN so I'm not really too concerned about that barring a really sizable period of morning convection.

Yeah that morning convection that the NAM blows through New England is the issue. 

It's really widespread, with simulated reflectivity all the way to the South Coast.

Oddly enough, despite that it still develops a great environment in the wake of it. Plenty of CAPE, shear, and helicity.

It's really widespread, with simulated reflectivity all the way to the South Coast.

Oddly enough, despite that it still develops a great environment in the wake of it. Plenty of CAPE, shear, and helicity.

Yup. It screws up those steep mid level lapse rates (probably through latent heat release?) but still keeps things pretty juicy in terms of CAPE/shear by afternoon.

Now, if the NAM is wrong about that morning convection then the final solution is probably more impressive.

Archived