CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Potential for a rather potent severe weather event

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck, Wiz. I hope you get to see something. I'd rather it stay far from my area

I'm really pumped...I hope though if anything does happen it avoids populated areas.  I'm just really kind of torn on where to go to setup and such.  Really depends on how things are looking in the morning.  I have a general area but I would like to pinpoint it further.  Greenfield, MA right now I guess but we'll see

Greenfield's not a bad spot from a launch point.  You can easily hop on 91 to go further north/south or rt 2 for E/W.   If you want to get some good visuals, you can go to the Poet's Seat tower.  Link will give you a sense of the vantage point.  Best views are to the West/SW/NW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22w6Y5-aVyQ

Thanks for this!  

I like the area from NW CT into Western Central Mass and S VT and NH. Seems to have the most favorable parameters where you have juxtaposition of better dynamics and instability. Significant Tor and supercell composites from the SREF like that area the as well but much of the area has impressive parameters by our standards. Hopefully it will be a fun day and if it gets crazy people stay safe.

We spoke at some length regarding the Michigan correlation ... 

The MCS today actually f things up for them.  You can see that now with Tor warnings and large watch/enhanced region now S of where the MCS went passed, ...collocated where SRH is enhanced along the stagnating outlfow boundary. 

In other words, the correlation won't apply so well this go... Two different flavors of event. The MCS has since decayed and has no organization left. Just some residual showers that won't even make it across NYS.   

The correlation in terms of "impulse" is there... but there's not going to be any specifics this go. 

Michigan lighting up now. 

Hubby is pretty rural but a good spot for severe. Probably better visibility and highway access in Greeny.

yeah Greenfield does allow us to virtually head in any direction we need.  Going to be tough tomorrow b/c we have to keep safety a priority and there are a lot of locations that can be dangerous...especially with numerous trees around.  

GFS has really backed off on the instability tomorrow. 

yeah it did but it has some hefty helicity numbers...point and click somewhere just north of BDL had just over 2000 SBcape at 18z with over 300 helicity...pretty impressive to see the GFS have that value.  

seems like it may not be as impressive with lapse rates judging by the soundings?

yeah it did but it has some hefty helicity numbers...point and click somewhere just north of BDL had just over 2000 SBcape at 18z with over 300 helicity...pretty impressive to see the GFS have that value.  

seems like it may not be as impressive with lapse rates judging by the soundings?

ML Lapse Rates are just under 6.0 C/KM at BDL for 18z... MLCAPE is near 1300 and SBCAPE is just over 1300 as well... 

Archived