• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential for a rather potent severe weather event

weatherwiz

For what it's worth, the SPC WRF develops an MCS but lifts it from MI into Ontario, really leaving much of New England in the clear.

0-1 km shear on the latest NAM now ripping 50 knots across central NH into ME. Siggy tornadoes a possibility, even on a duck fart type spin up with those shear profiles.

Yeah it seems like the NAM is on its own with that widespread rain tomorrow morning. You can see the impact that has on lapse rates too when you go through the forecast soundings. 

Pretty intriguing setup. I really like having juicy dew points through 850mb so and not some BS lowest level moisture that mixes out when someone sneezes.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what it's worth, the SPC WRF develops an MCS but lifts it from MI into Ontario, really leaving much of New England in the clear.

0-1 km shear on the latest NAM now ripping 50 knots across central NH into ME. Siggy tornadoes a possibility, even on a duck fart type spin up with those shear profiles.

Obscene helicity on the NAM up your way tomorrow, and pretty impressive in much of New England. Solid CAPE too. Eyes will be peeled for ACCAS. God, this better pan out or Wiz is gonna blow a fuse.

I really really hope that the ML lapse rates at least hold around 6.5 or improve as we get closer.

I don't want a repeat of 6/6/10 which is always a worry when you have debris ruin lapse rates. This setup seems to be more favorable for that at least right now.

I really really hope that the ML lapse rates at least hold around 6.5 or improve as we get closer.

I don't want a repeat of 6/6/10 which is always a worry when you have debris ruin lapse rates. This setup seems to be more favorable for that at least right now.

Yeah - I was surprised this morning to see the models still hanging on to ~7C/km. 

General motion of the WAA induced MCS tomorrow according to the SPC WRF. Would probably quash things for far northern areas, but I would posit this would leave a nice residual OFB or differential heating boundary across central New England.

SPC WRF.png

Just get me some sun by noon. If it's 18Z and I'm still in the dank while Cheshire is FEW and 85/70 I'll be on full tilt.

Yeah that was a somewhat odd SWODY2. BOX has done a nice job playing things up a bit. 

Tepid. When Ekster is texting me after 6 days off about the potential I take notice, despite the relative lack of interest from Oklahoma.

I'll probably be chatting with them today about altering the outline of the risk outlook. I mean I see some potential farther east in our area at least.

Tepid. When Ekster is texting me after 6 days off about the potential I take notice, despite the relative lack of interest from Oklahoma.

I'll probably be chatting with them today about altering the outline of the risk outlook. I mean I see some potential farther east in our area at least.

Oh yay there you are.

Yeah you're area definitely could get into some pretty good action. You'll be much closer to the s/w with pretty decent height falls. Your area also seems to do much better with getting stronger instability in while having the warm front in close proximity

hoping I be able to get a hardcore look at models later tonight. I'll wake up early too and look at things...really hoping I won't have to work.

Just call in sick dude and get your friend to chase. You work like a million jobs and are going to school in September anyway. What's one more mundane day at work compared to chasing tornadoes? Last time you decided to score a high school baseball game instead of seeing an EF3. I would think you learned a lesson but now you will miss a major, rare outbreak again.

And honestly, with all due respect, who cares what SPC has or doesn't have. That likes caring what WPC has in the winter for snow. Let the local people who know the climo try to figure it out.

I always get the sense the SPC is a little gun shy with New England. Think they've been burned enough over the years by the quirks and vicissitudes of our local climo that they hedge on the conservative side, even when things look pretty darn favorable. Wasn't 6/1/11 a slight risk day?

Just took a look at the overnight WRF runs, all pretty much keep the southern half of my forecast are precip free with the MCS. ARW is quick re-firing storms (clears by 19z), but the rest all develop rather potent looking semi-discrete convection by 18-20z across southern NH.

I always get the sense the SPC is a little gun shy with New England. Think they've been burned enough over the years by the quirks and vicissitudes of our local climo that they hedge on the conservative side, even when things look pretty darn favorable. Wasn't 6/1/11 a slight risk day?

Yes, but with the caveat that it would have been an enhanced risk on the new scale. It didn't exist back then, SPC was well aware of the potential of 6/1/11 5 days out.

That was a well forecast event, but the majority of the time a meh outlook will suffice in New England. That is our climo.

Archived