amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Potential for a rather potent severe weather event

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 4 p.m. end time of the watch is a little odd, unless that leaves room for another watch later on. The latest HRRR shows vigorous convection ongoing across central/eastern Connecticut at 4 p.m. The 12z 4km NAM is even slower, with a line of supercells/semi-discrete thunderstorms moving into western portions of New England by 4-5 p.m.

Very odd indeed...my thinking is along the same line as yours...leaves room for another watch, however, I think the TOR threat is earlier on, however, latest guidance keeps higher helicity around later and the hi-res developing a line of supercells around 4-5 is interesting 

The 4 p.m. end time of the watch is a little odd, unless that leaves room for another watch later on. The latest HRRR shows vigorous convection ongoing across central/eastern Connecticut at 4 p.m. The 12z 4km NAM is even slower, with a line of supercells/semi-discrete thunderstorms moving into western portions of New England by 4-5 p.m.

Well there are options, cancel when this batch moves through and issue another later on or locally extend this watch for the afternoon stuff.

I like the 4km NAM solution, problem is it thinks there is much less cloud cover than there actually is. So it might be a little too robust with the afternoon line. But it is also west of Lake Ontario right now, so there is time to recover. With mid level winds ripping at 50+ knots it may not take much time to recover what we've lost to clouds.

Very odd indeed...my thinking is along the same line as yours...leaves room for another watch, however, I think the TOR threat is earlier on, however, latest guidance keeps higher helicity around later and the hi-res developing a line of supercells around 4-5 is interesting 

The HRRR forecast sounding for IJD at 5 p.m. seems to indicate at least a marginally supportive environment for an isolated tornado:

post-533-0-80743000-1435069764_thumb.gif

Boundaries galore out there. You can see one on satellite north of PHL. Cloud debris probably masking the rest, but I bet there is a good one in NY, as well as in CT from the little line segment and across S NH too.

yeah there are a crap ton and will probably provide a focus for something later on.  

Good news is RAP forecasts are lagging actual air mass recovery so far according to the SPC mesoanalysis page.

We'll take incremental improvements.

I was just looking at 13z RAP soundings for BDL and it's way off with instability.  Wonder if this will correct at all with the 14z or 15z runs

Archived