Newest Member
    amirah5
Potential for a rather potent severe weather event

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's it spitting out, Wiz?

Impressive combo of shear/instability/helicity.  shear of 31 m/s too is pretty hefty.  Also, instability could be a tad underdone b/c it only has just over 6 C/KM lapse rates...unless they end up weakening they should be closer to 6.5-7 C/KM...which if thats the case I'm sure the capes would be closer to or slightly over 2000

12z%20NAM%20bufkit%20BDL_zpsphwto7x3.jpg

Impressive combo of shear/instability/helicity.  shear of 31 m/s too is pretty hefty.  Also, instability could be a tad underdone b/c it only has just over 6 C/KM lapse rates...unless they end up weakening they should be closer to 6.5-7 C/KM...which if thats the case I'm sure the capes would be closer to or slightly over 2000

12z%20NAM%20bufkit%20BDL_zpsphwto7x3.jpg

That is pretty. How are LCLs looking today?

Yeah, these types of (forecast) soundings are pretty crazy for southern New England. 4km NAM for BAF at 20z is about as good as I can remember seeing in a while. Strong instability, favorable wind shear and the thing that caught my eye the most was the number of significant severe analogs. While this may not scream major tornado threat (still non-zero and certainly elevated in comparison to climo), it certainly looks very favorable for severe hail/wind.

post-533-0-05861600-1435073759_thumb.gif

PA stuff falling apart fast. Winds will veer behind this batch, but VAD profiles show a lot of wind aloft still across NY. We might salvage this afternoon yet.

I'm curious to see if the winds wind up staying backed across SNE ahead of that pre-frontal trough thanks to the isallobaric response with that flow scooting east. 

That is pretty. How are LCLs looking today?

On the higher side per mesoanalysis...around 1250m but they are much less off to the west.  

I don't though LCL's are a huge deal for tornadoes per se...especially in a highly favorable environment but I think they matter more for stronger tornadoes.  

I'm curious to see if the winds wind up staying backed across SNE ahead of that pre-frontal trough thanks to the isallobaric response with that flow scooting east. 

Model forecasts yesterday were to keep the helicity locally higher in SNE, while the extreme values scooted north with the warm front through the day.

Archived