REGION WHICH IS PREVENTING TEMPS FROM RISING OUT OF THE 50S AND
60S ACROSS THE REGION. MODELS ARE STILL TOO AGGRESSIVE WITH
CLEARING SO IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT THE FINAL 12Z RUNS
AND LATEST MESO-SCALE GUIDANCE CAN COME UP WITH. EVEN THE BREAKS
TO THE W ARE FILLING IN AS LEFTOVER CLOUD DEBRIS ASSOCIATED WITH
SOME -SHRA ACTIVITY CONTINUES TO MOVE IN FROM THE W. FINAL
STABILITY WILL ULTIMATELY BE DETERMINED BY BREAKS SO WILL CONTINUE
TO WATCH AS THE COLD FRONT APPROACHES...BUT UNLESS SOMETHING
CHANGES RELATIVELY SOON IT MAY BE TOO LITTLE TOO LATE.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's way out there but timing looks decent, nice vigourous shortwave approaching  with temps near 80 in this area with dews in the 60's.  GFS looks to be generating about 1000 j/kg of surface based CAPE across the region, perhaps a bit more or less in some areas. I'm sure something will probably go wrong but it looked decent on that run.

Lightning!!!

I was just wondering that ... if anyone observed thunder in this.  

None up my way along Massachusetts version of the Mohawk Trail overnight into this morning, though the rain fell heavy enough that the window A.C. unit rattled over the top of it's own hum enough to wake me up on a couple of different times. 

Looks like according to KTANs rad totals most areas were .4 to 1.5" in striated bands ?  I don't know if I believe that, though, and never have about KTANs rad totals. They always seem to be 'under' estimates of what really happened, perhaps a problem with that NWS stations device.  Who knows..

Anyway, looks like this event knocked 20 to 30% off deficits, so not a drought killer, but definitely a drought alleviation. 

So Tuesday:  hmm, does have a classic look to it in some regards.  I don't like that the mid level wind mechanics appear to wrap up into Ontario; but in the other sense, if those are too strong and nose in too early, the day could mature into a squalline and blast through ho- humly.  I suppose it would come down to which model is accurate.  Haven't detailed all ... but the 12z oper. GFS is what I'm commenting on wrt the former concept.

Otherwise, both the NAM and GFS depicted a bit of a diffused warm front near 12z ... draped or vaguely discerned from NE NYS to Cape Cod near dawn on that day; can visualize associated near dawn convection whisking across the area at that time. That sort of set up is a pretty typical severe day presage scenario for New England, I might add.  After that happens and you get a sultry southerly drift as the sun splits through mid morning.  High polarity sun-glass-visible orangy towers already pop amid the far western horizon by noon, with even a right turner west of Albany. ...Watch goes up... thread balloons by 30 pages in 20 minutes...

Then we count the ways in which something inevitable f-s it all up New England style.

But it some rare cases, ...your Monson's and ORH, and Great Barrington's ... things come together and people learn how to fly whether they prefer to or not.  I do find it amusing that over at SPC, the have a D1 moderate up near the Dakotas that they conserve through through the Great Lakes (which is the 24 hour teleconnector for New England, btw), and the the next day they summarily, as if perfunctory, smack Wiz's face by not only reducing it to slight, BUT bowing it out as though the entire event collapses... and, not even painting said slight region E of western MA!  

That's either a bias at headquarters or policy for D3 though.   

One thing to also think about for Tuesday ...as suggested by the NAM's FRH grid... could be a thermal trough that splits things up a bit.  

We've also seen that in the past often enough too.  The day ends up quite hot/torrid with huge buoyancy surplus; the general UVM established by huge diurnal flux causes a tendency for convergence west of the coastal plain and east of the Berks ...The atmosphere creates a axis, along which the winds tend to back more westerly on the west side, and more south on the east side - almost like our own homemade dry-line.  

Thunderstorms can and do sometimes erupt along that axis because the day's conditional instability is taken over the top by said convergence.  Those thunderstorms then organize and move off the coast and huge CB   /anvil constructs are back-lit, cotton white as tropopause rollers by mid afternoon sun. DPs crash.  It goes from 88/74 to 91 of 50 where it doesn't rain.   Meanwhile, a thus made starving main fropa comes through more of just a wind shift later that evening.  

You can still generate severe along that "dry line" depression (so to speak..) because the CAPEs would be large - but this is the kind of deal that "steals the show" so to speak. 

Archived