12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Summer 2015 General Thunderstorm Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM bufkit tomorrow for IJD isn't really bad looking at all...not as dry as BDL aloft

Given to the progressive nature to the pattern overall ... it would not shock me if this gets nosed in a bit farther E come tomorrow - but it might require a later day arrival.  One thing I like about tomorrow is that the S component is lower so less contamination ... any CAPE we accrue during the day may linger a tad.

day2otlk_1730.gif?1434044845302

Given to the progressive nature to the pattern overall ... it would not shock me if this gets nosed in a bit farther E come tomorrow - but it might require a later day arrival. One thing I like about tomorrow is that the S component is lower so less contamination ... any CAPE we accrue during the day may linger a tad.

day2otlk_1730.gif?1434044845302

Could be some fun storms tomorrow out west

Seems the greatest threat on the 12 km NAM and GFS would be along the I-90 corridor in NY while the 4 km NAM is a bit further south. Forcing won't be particularly strong and there is a modest cap present in most areas, which may encourage the potential for discrete storms.

About as good as it gets pretty much

Might want to note that the analog on that sounding I posted from sharppy is from Montgomery, AL on the day of the longest tracked tornado in AL's history (5/27/1973). It was a violent tornado that destroyed the Centerville radar (main radar in AL at the time) and caused severe damage in the town of Brent.

Seems the greatest threat on the 12 km NAM and GFS would be along the I-90 corridor in NY while the 4 km NAM is a bit further south. Forcing won't be particularly strong and there is a modest cap present in most areas, which may encourage the potential for discrete storms.

The local area, particularly in the Hudson Valley in the vicinity of Albany and through the Mohawk Valley, is a bit of a climo mini-tornado alley in the Northeast. That is probably partially driven by the ability of low-level winds to remain backed with locally enhanced helicity.

Maybe this belongs in the NY forum, but 30hr 18z NAM forecast hodograph and sounding:

post-533-0-57016900-1434067526_thumb.jpg

post-533-0-17705400-1434067543_thumb.jpg

Might want to note that the analog on that sounding I posted from sharppy is from Montgomery, AL on the day of the longest tracked tornado in AL's history (5/27/1973). It was a violent tornado that destroyed the Centerville radar (main radar in AL at the time) and caused severe damage in the town of Brent.

oh wow...didn't even see that post until now lol.  That sounding you posted is pretty insane 

A bit surprised there was no tornado mention in the AFD from Albany given that they were weighing the NAM more than the GFS (due to the GFS likely being too fast with timing) and they also mentioned supercells within the more backed wind fields in E NY.

would Think you want to be along and north of the warm front

I think BTV is a little bit too far north.  not sure the WF even gets there until very late.  

Areas right around say Albany have a very favorable airmass...steep lapse rates, very high values of cape, strong moisture advection, great shear and especially directional shear.  

00z 12 km/4 km NAMs still looking pretty good near/just south of I-90 towards the Hudson Valley tomorrow afternoon evening. Both of them look to have at least one discrete storm tracking through this corridor with relatively strong low level shear/moderate instability present in the 21z-00z timeframe.

Archived