joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2015 General Thunderstorm Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maine seems to get clocked more than SNE...  They labor through spring and suffer endlessly but when it finally breaks summer up there, they're getting meso's all day and Tuesdays... 

The problem with SNE is that we are really in reality a peninsula. If you put a ruler down on a map, and draw line from about PWM to NYC...anything SE of that line is usually oceaned up the butt in one way shape or another.  The best way we get severe is on NW flow/EML type deals...  If the wind is WSW in the BL, and the flow is NW aloft, we end up with decent hear to go alone with.. 

Anything much S of WSW... it more than just seems it doesn't matter what the T/TD are... weird.  The airmass even has a memory... The convective temp is say 88, ... just because the wind came from the LI Sound, even if it is 88 ... your convection is on extra double top secret probation and nothing happens.  

Heh.  Anyway, had a nice regulatory thunderstorm today here in Ayer.  Rained hard for 6 min. Couple of close CG... mostly in cloud rumblings, and a little wind. Pretty standard summer fair.  

Could use more of that and the rain.  

Per square mile Massachusetts does tornadoes pretty well...not sure on stats for severe thunderstorms. I rarely see them though here. No hail, hardly ever wind issues

Eh, overall though our severe is very tepid. Our humid setups in the summer do make it easier for brief spin ups though. Today went pretty much as planned.

0510 PM TSTM WND DMG METHUEN 42.73N 71.19W
05/28/2015 ESSEX MA AMATEUR RADIO

APPROX TWENTY TO THIRTY TREES ARE DOWN AS WELL AS WIRES
ON HAMPSTEAD AND OLD HOMESTEAD STREETS. THIS DAMAGE IS
DUE FROM A MICROBURST THAT PRODUCED APPROX 70 MPH IN
STRENGTH DETERMINED FROM PHOTOS.

Half mile to my North.

Half mile to my North.

That's awesome. And not much wind by you?

That's awesome. And not much wind by you?

It wasn't too bad.  There was one point for about 5-10 seconds the winds really starting to get crazy from due North.  I believe that's the time it happened.  All the wind prior to that was from the west and south.

If I had to take a guess at speed, I would say somewhere near 50.  Don't think it was more than that.

Please share more about your uneasy feeling. You are batting 1.000 in this dry spell

I mean it's going to rain..but it looks to me like the front stalls a bit to our north for a long period of time and all the heavier rains ends up from about the Pike north..while we are just left with showers..and then as it sags south we are left with onshore flow and clouds while the front stalls over SNJ.. i think the Euro is out to lunch with the wave

It wasn't too bad. There was one point for about 5-10 seconds the winds really starting to get crazy from due North. I believe that's the time it happened. All the wind prior to that was from the west and south.

If I had to take a guess at speed, I would say somewhere near 50. Don't think it was more than that.

Nice. No storm shield for you! Unless you wanted trees on your house.

Nice. No storm shield for you! Unless you wanted trees on your house.

Yeah not really.  Of course I was at the window camera in hand and it was the north corner of the house where I have a gigantic maple tree.

Probably not a good idea in retrospect.

Yeah not really. Of course I was at the window camera in hand and it was the north corner of the house where I have a gigantic maple tree.

Probably not a good idea in retrospect.

Funny how things change as a homeowner. I have one tree that makes me nervous. Heard about a storm that came through here years ago, and I sort of cringe thinking about this oak slicing through my son's room. Ironically ever since moving here, I've missed a lot of stuff in all directions.

Half mile to my North.

Hi Dan,

I'm about 1.5 miles from the area that was hit by the microburst. I was not in the area at the time of the storm but from the looks of things it rained heavily at my house. No damage in my area.  I just took a ride by the area that was hit by the microburst and there is some impressive tree damage.

I'd have to say the microburst is the strongest one to hit the area since the one that bent the hotel sign by Exit 2 on 93 in Salem NH. That one happened several years ago. Winds were estimated at 90 mph.

Hi Dan,

I'm about 1.5 miles from the area that was hit by the microburst. I was not in the area at the time of the storm but from the looks of things it rained heavily at my house. No damage in my area.  I just took a ride by the area that was hit by the microburst and there is some impressive tree damage.

I'd have to say the microburst is the strongest one to hit the area since the one that bent the hotel sign by Exit 2 on 93 in Salem NH. That one happened several years ago. Winds were estimated at 90 mph.

I'm right off Howe, just about across from Dunkins.  Definitely rained hard and we had two bouts of strong winds, one a little before the rain started and then one right when the rain turned very heavy, I expect thats when it happened.  I have not had a chance to drive by there yet.  I'll have to go by tonight.

I'm right off Howe, just about across from Dunkins.  Definitely rained hard and we had two bouts of strong winds, one a little before the rain started and then one right when the rain turned very heavy, I expect thats when it happened.  I have not had a chance to drive by there yet.  I'll have to go by tonight.

I wonder if the golf course or the homes on the golf course sustained any damage. Certainly a very strong storm from the sound of things. Poured yesterday and my neighbors had their sprinklers on this morning ....lol

I wonder if the golf course or the homes on the golf course sustained any damage. Certainly a very strong storm from the sound of things. Poured yesterday and my neighbors had their sprinklers on this morning ....lol

I think they might have missed the worst of it, probably on the edge.  I had the scanner going yesterday and there was one tree down around 232 howe, which is very close to the golf course.  I think they were just a bit south of the stronger winds.

I did not hear much activity on the scanner on pond street, which has a lot of large trees on either side of it.

I think they might have missed the worst of it, probably on the edge.  I had the scanner going yesterday and there was one tree down around 232 howe, which is very close to the golf course.  I think they were just a bit south of the stronger winds.

I did not hear much activity on the scanner on pond street, which has a lot of large trees on either side of it.

I just found out a friend of my girlfriend had damage at her home especially to her pool.

CGJC1XEVAAEaYct.jpg

Storms should collapse right on time inside 495/128. More stable air is nearby BOS. Boundary right over town it seems. I'd just be on the lookout for a microburst somewhere as the storms die and mix down some wind. I know the skew t was inverted this morning with drier air working in later hours along with steepening (somewhat) mid level lapse rates.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/05/29/nws-confirms-microburst-methuen/OGH8VIRF77MO8kRxoG07bP/story.html

Eh, overall though our severe is very tepid. Our humid setups in the summer do make it easier for brief spin ups though. Today went pretty much as planned.

We generally do the more isolated variety.

The difference I see around here is that we rarely get the widespread and/or long duration severe. The supercell that tracked from Jay through Waterville with intermittent mesos, producing damage the whole lifespan that we had yesterday just isn't that common in New England.

But in some respects that makes forecasting/warning that much harder. OUN has like 500 warnings so far this year, but most of those you just box a supercell until it's dead. A tough workload for sure, but not necessarily thought provoking.

Archived