• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Unofficial Start to Summer Banter

dmillz25

I don't think they've written a good song since about 1989...well, maybe a couple...but not too many. 

i've found a couple sweet gems, but i've been accused of being stuck in a decade several times in my life..

I'm ok with this.. i'm happy and not bothering anyone except everyone I drive past with my car windows down  :lmao:

When inspecting my bee hive yard yesterday, I came across one of the largest Wooly Bear caterpillars I have personally seen. A smaller brown stripe as opposed to the black head and remainder of the body. It all means nothing, however folk lore says a great winter en route for the snow and cold crowd. A little positive news in the middle of summer!

i've heard this before, and fat squirrels means a big winter is coming.. it doesn't always hold true but when I see either of those i feel this:

post-26-0-65242500-1439228503_thumb.gif

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's great to finally see that before they build the more permanent structure a block to the East near the old hospital 

building. Some of the scariest stories in Long Beach happened near the hospital, since it's a one of the lowest

points in town along with the West End. I heard of a woman who had to wade through chest deep waters with 

her child sitting on her shoulders to escape her flooded out apartment. She was able to get to a neighbors house

that had a second floor. This video was a few blocks from the hospital and actually a little higher up in elevation.

But you can see how bad it was there.

-24? I think you'll be waiting a long time for that lol.

He tends to do very well on cold nights.

His area is like KFOX except much colder.

Yeah, that was actually just this past February, a few minutes down the road from me. I had -17F on my Oregon Scientific when I got up, while my truck thermometer was 2 or 3 degrees cooler. I drove around for a while to scout out the best radiating spot in my 'hood, and came across the -24 in a bit of a sheltered valley. It was probably just about -20 in actuality.

please post the pics, I'd love to see them.. 

i'm going to enjoy the show from my backyard.. it gets pretty dark here and there's not too much tree cover so I should have an excellent view of a decent portion.. i'm stoked!!!

and i like the turn this thread took here, even if i have NO clue what it's referencing! :D

I actually took a last minute trip to the catskills (Delaware county) last night and happened to do some photography while i was there. This is a great website (Just my preference, there are others) to find the darkest sites in your area. http://djlorenz.github.io/astronomy/lp2006/overlay/dark.html It is pretty accurate. As long as it isn't cloudy, and the humidity is below 70% or so you will have a nice view. It is really amazing how much light pollution is in the NYC area. 

JjEkov7.jpg

I just updated to Lightroom 6.1, and the new "dehaze" slider works wonders at minimizing the effects of light pollution on night sky images. I'm amazed at how much more detail I've been able to coax out of Milky Way images with this new tool. It's hardly worth buying into the CC just for one feature, but it's definitely something to look out for.

Yeah that feature is really great. I use a few different brushes too that really bring out the milky way and reduces Light Pollution as well. I will try and find the site where i got them and will message it to you on here.

It's great to finally see that before they build the more permanent structure a block to the East near the old hospital 

building. Some of the scariest stories in Long Beach happened near the hospital, since it's a one of the lowest

points in town along with the West End. I heard of a woman who had to wade through chest deep waters with 

her child sitting on her shoulders to escape her flooded out apartment. She was able to get to a neighbors house

that had a second floor. This video was a few blocks from the hospital and actually a little higher up in elevation.

But you can see how bad it was there.

Something else I'll never forget about that night. The constant explosions from power stations/transformers blowing. 

Beautiful, how long was the flight?

Funny you should ask that... Apparently, the ground shear wind-speed wasn't able to be ascertained island-side, so the plane circled about 5 times before landing (after being delayed from departure for the same reason, captain had told me its verified at 15-20kts). Word of advice - don't you ever use Delta. The flight was about 5.5 hours :)

The Caribbean has certainly been less active since the 2009 hurricane season.

It has been a pretty good run for the entire Atlantic basin without a Cat 5 hurricane.

Dean and Felix in 2007 were the last Cat 5 Atlantic hurricanes.

https://twitter.com/BMcNoldy/status/631116084498841600

attachicon.gifCMIsvATUsAAtsIH.png

It's like we've returned to the 1980's with hurricane activity-actually even worse the past few years overall (Irene and Sandy obviously hit the local area hard)

Archived