joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Unofficial Start to Summer Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually a weak La Nina is best, but Winter 10-11 proved we can get good snows and cold in a strong La Nina. ENSO is only one factor in our winter.

it's all about getting the storm track south of us. we go on about indices but that's what matters

How many storms have you guys gotten this year? I've gotten 7

I've had a few convective downpours and some lightning, but mostly of the faint and distant variety. It seems like I can't buy a decent storm this decade... in the early-mid 2000s, damaging thunderstorms were a yearly thing imby. I probably lost half a dozen mature trees to lightning and wind in the first 5 years that I lived here. Haven't had hail in years either.

Congrats to Buffalo with the snowvember snow pile still holding on into July.

http://www.wgrz.com/story/weather/2015/07/27/8-months-after-it-was-piled-there-snow-from-monster-storm-can-still-be-found-near-central-terminal/30741259/

The snow was piled there following the "Snowvember" storm which occurred 8 months ago.

Today, despite it being late July, two snow piles remain, although hidden in plain sight.

That's because to anyone unfamiliar with their real composition, the snow piles looks more like a non-descript earthen berms.

The near solid ice, nearly ten feet high in some spots, can be seen if one were to dig away about one foot of soil which covers the pile, sue to a long, slow melting process.

Congrats to Buffalo with the snowvember snow pile still holding on into July.

http://www.wgrz.com/story/weather/2015/07/27/8-months-after-it-was-piled-there-snow-from-monster-storm-can-still-be-found-near-central-terminal/30741259/

The snow was piled there following the "Snowvember" storm which occurred 8 months ago.

Today, despite it being late July, two snow piles remain, although hidden in plain sight.

That's because to anyone unfamiliar with their real composition, the snow piles looks more like a non-descript earthen berms.

The near solid ice, nearly ten feet high in some spots, can be seen if one were to dig away about one foot of soil which covers the pile, sue to a long, slow melting process.

It looks like grass is actually growing on top of it wow.

It looks like grass is actually growing on top of it wow.

We had a much weaker version of that in Long Beach after the 09-10 and 10-11 snow blitz that only made it into the spring before

melting. There were huge mountains of dirty snow piled up in the big empty lot near the beach between Edwards and

Riverside.

What a bore fest. Even the thunderstorm I saw yesterday, which looked mildly ominous when I was driving up 287 last night didn't produce much other than some very heavy rain and a few CTG strikes. 

That's why they call it the dog days of summer....hot/humid and little storm activity.  Euro has something like .10-.25 QPF for the next 10 days for the area, LOL

What a bore fest. Even the thunderstorm I saw yesterday, which looked mildly ominous when I was driving up 287 last night didn't produce much other than some very heavy rain and a few CTG strikes.

Hasn't rained here in over a month now. Nothing but heat and partly cloudy every day since mid-late June. The ground is parched after the deluge in May.

Hasn't rained here in over a month now. Nothing but heat and partly cloudy every day since mid-late June. The ground is parched after the deluge in May.

That's to be expected out there. What ever vegetation survived the big drought will handle it fine. we have had some rain here this summer but we also didn't have a big spring deluge. So overall super dry summer again on the south shore.

That's to be expected out there. What ever vegetation survived the big drought will handle it fine. we have had some rain here this summer but we also didn't have a big spring deluge. So overall super dry summer again on the south shore.

Still in a moderate drought here.

I hate the summer. :thumbsdown:  Only 125 days left till meteorological winter! :snowwindow:

Haha well I like the Winter too, but only during that time period. Once it's Summer, I like It to stay. It's my favorite season. The weather's good, the pools open, beach, vacation, and can't beat those warm Summer nights outside.

Haha well I like the Winter too, but only during that time period. Once it's Summer, I like It to stay. It's my favorite season. The weather's good, the pools open, beach, vacation, and can't beat those warm Summer nights outside.

Lol. This. I love blizzards and cold. But not in the summer. In the summer, I love typical summer weather. Get out there and enjoy it! (Queue the "what's to enjoy" posts about swamp a$$ and hot subways blah blah blah lol) go to the beach, go to the pool, sit in your AC like you sit inside with heat in the winter (or do you turn your heat off in the winter?) go to a BBQ, go to an outdoor music festival, take up gardening, go camping etc. etc.

Archived