joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 6th Annual SNE Lawn Thread - 2015

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of snakes, an interesting population of rattlers still exist in the Blue Hills Reservation. They caught a 5' one at an office park in Braintree at the edge of the reservation. I heard some sort of disease or fungus was causing an issue though to their population. I know snakes make most squirm on here, but I always found them interesting. Good for controlling rodents for sure.

Would like to take credit for our recent landscaping, but gotta give credit to our landscaper.097553730212ac1b49178c56b044552f.jpg

How deep is that soil?  Does the ledge just abruptly go down at a 90 degree angle where the beds begin?  The other photos look great, but this particular arrangement has so many potential maintenance nightmares and your landscaper knows this.

How deep is that soil? Does the ledge just abruptly go down at a 90 degree angle where the beds begin? The other photos look great, but this particular arrangement has so many potential maintenance nightmares and your landscaper knows this.

Ledge was blasted, so it does end where you see it. Water runoff is diverted in a few places.

Ledge was blasted, so it does end where you see it. Water runoff is diverted in a few places.

Excellent, that makes me feel better.  In that case the only thing you're going to hate is keeping the gravel clean, especially if you have pine/hemlock/spruce/oak nearby.

We put a wide gravel border along one side of our driveway about 15 years ago and it looked so nice for 2-3 weeks.  It's now probably one of my biggest landscaping regrets that haunts me to this day.  I have to keep my eyes to the other side every time I get the mail.

Excellent, that makes me feel better. In that case the only thing you're going to hate is keeping the gravel clean, especially if you have pine/hemlock/spruce nearby.

We put a wide gravel border along the side of our driveway about 15 years ago and it looked so nice for 2-3 weeks. It's now probably one of my biggest landscaping regrets that haunts me to this day. I have to keep my eyes to the other side every time I get the mail.

Yes not looking forward to weeding and remulching.

We put a wide gravel border along one side of our driveway about 15 years ago and it looked so nice for 2-3 weeks.  It's now probably one of my biggest landscaping regrets that haunts me to this day.  I have to keep my eyes to the other side every time I get the mail.

I think the key to getting a gravel border to work is it needs to be no less than about 10 inches thick, and it needs to be lined with a geotextile fabric to keep soil fines from migrating into the gravel.  The photo below is a gravel border I put in along the side of my house about 8 years ago when I installed a large basement window through the concrete foundation.  I dug down and hauled the subsoil out to about 10-12 inches below final grade, lined with geotextile fabric, and backfilled with crushed stone.   It's mostly shady but I almost never have to pull weeds out of it.

post-1620-0-52937100-1436214046_thumb.jp

your landscaper knows their ****...which is very rare these days...i could tell just by looking at one picture? can you guess which one?

The bottom pic bed is very sparse. The liriope will take many many years to fill in. Assuming that's the desired effect

Otherwise the other plants in the other beds are spaced well. Many landscapers will jam things together for instant gratification and to sell you more plants

Those with Oaks..do me a favor and take a look underneath them and tell me if you have hundreds or thousands already of small sized acorns already down? If what I see now is any indication..this is going to be a disaster year for them

All the small ones falling now are big ones you won't have to deal with later.  :)

Something out of the usual is going on to have them falling now. The two open-grown oaks outside our building bear almost every year, unlike forest oaks which tend to have large crops at 2-4 year intervals. The two had loads of nuts last year and look to be loaded again this year, and I've never seen significant acorn-fall from them in early summer. They never get defoliated by insects, either, though I don't know if that's a factor in what your oaks are doing.

Archived