SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 6th Annual SNE Lawn Thread - 2015

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can someone recommend an ornamental tree for corner of our house. We're having some landscaping done and landscaper has suggested a serviceberry tree. Wife and I didn't care for it and am leaning towards some type of crab apple. The tree should be fairly small and not have huge width or height when mature, hence leaning towards the ornamental. I believe we're restricted to zone 4 or below. 

i like to put things in my gardens that are not common. I have a set up  where I put in a Pink Chimes (Styrax japonica ‘Pink Chimes’) about three years ago. it is the center piece of a garden that I planted to soften the edge of the corner of my home.  it should flower in about a week or so. i'll post a picture of the set-up. slow grower that maxes at around 15' X 15'. they can get bigger though. it sees a lot of wind and supposed to ok for zone 5. here is a stock pick.

i like to put things in my gardens that are not common. I have a set up  where I put in a Pink Chimes (Styrax japonica ‘Pink Chimes’) about three years ago. it is the center piece of a garden that I planted to soften the edge of the corner of my home.  it should flower in about a week or so. i'll post a picture of the set-up. slow grower that maxes at around 15' X 15'. they can get bigger though. it sees a lot of wind and supposed to ok for zone 5. here is a stock pick.

thanks, but we're zone 4. Not sure that tree would do well here.

Gotta water man. Lawns that haven't watered look just like that..though it looks like that area needs some soil and reseeding etc

yeah, the oak sucks up a bunch of water. Plan on reseeding this Fall. I'm pretty happy with my reseeding efforts recently around edge of driveway, although hard to tell in pic. Been watering that daily.

Youve had plentiful rains the last few weeks. We've had none. Under .60 for month

I can't see for sure what I have for the month because my station was down for a bit.  But, I think I might be under .60.  I don't recall anything other than the .41" I got this week.  It'll be great if we can manage to get May out of a top 10 spot.  Certainly possible.

We Dimension again.. Expecting 2-4 the mets promising.. But doubt lies in back of our minds..

Neighbors yards all torched to crisps

2A92FF76-B063-47F9-8EDF-488B69B2AE1B_zps

Looks good, Kevin.  I'm envious of your paved road.  Here, the plow manages to get all sorts of small rocks and other crap along a 3-4' strip  of lawn here.  Makes that area look like crap.

Looks like a good time to fertilize with the rain coming, but not sure which fertilizer would be best right now. Was thinking miloganite but our soil, based on analysis already has plenty of iron. Anything else to consider?

Do you know what your PH is? If it's higher, the iron isn't available to use efficiently with a higher soil PH.

Archived