SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 6th Annual SNE Lawn Thread - 2015

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They seem to only be hitting the Oaks and Red Maples this year. Hopefully they eat all the Oak leaves, leaving an easy fall cleanup

Sometimes trees react to stress by producing a monster seed crop.  Since red oak acorns take 2 years to mature, prepare to get buried in September 2016.  ;)

How soon after applying fertilizer can one reapply with a 'weed and feed' type? I'd like to take advantage of the upcoming soaking.

THanks.

Depending on what you use , generally about 6 weeks give or take. You can purchase weed only with topical applications number of options there including spray on with hose attachment but you will not want to do that to close to impending rain. Congrats on the new job

second highest setting on my deere D110 , think its like 3.75"

reason why I don't cut at the highest setting is I make a second pass to mulch whatever doesn't get mulched on first pass. need to set it at a higher setting to effectively do that. if I don't the dogs will bring all that grass in the house when they go out on dewy mornings. disaster. one thing I hate seeing is the guy who cuts his grass short and leaves all the clipping on their lawn to rot. have a new neighbor who inherited a nice lawn an promptly when in and cut it short and left the clippings. worse yet his mower deck isn't balanced so one side is high and one side is low. maybe I am to anal about my lawn?

i like to put things in my gardens that are not common. I have a set up  where I put in a Pink Chimes (Styrax japonica ‘Pink Chimes’) about three years ago. it is the center piece of a garden that I planted to soften the edge of the corner of my home.  it should flower in about a week or so. i'll post a picture of the set-up. slow grower that maxes at around 15' X 15'. they can get bigger though. it sees a lot of wind and supposed to ok for zone 5. here is a stock pick.

can someone recommend an ornamental tree for corner of our house. We're having some landscaping done and landscaper has suggested a serviceberry tree. Wife and I didn't care for it and am leaning towards some type of crab apple. The tree should be fairly small and not have huge width or height when mature, hence leaning towards the ornamental. I believe we're restricted to zone 4 or below. 

I promised some pictures of pink chimes. bought this in a 10 gallon bucket and it was 3-4' high. its in its 3rd or 4th growing season (can't remember which) and its now about 8-9ft high and slightly less wide. flowering now

post-4641-0-13670700-1434453704_thumb.jp

post-4641-0-92590000-1434453716_thumb.jp

post-4641-0-51668400-1434453730_thumb.jp

post-4641-0-41892900-1434453741_thumb.jp

post-4641-0-73959100-1434453754_thumb.jp

post-4641-0-37534600-1434453770_thumb.jp

Wondering if jacking up my height will help with the Moss problem

Sent from my SCH-I545

Your moss problem is most likely actually a tree problem. Mowing higher will provide the grass with more surface area to catch sunlight so it will help. Whether it will help noticeably is another question.

Your moss problem is most likely actually a tree problem. Mowing higher will provide the grass with more surface area to catch sunlight so it will help. Whether it will help noticeably is another question.

it's a combination, white pine, over-watering and poor sunlight problem.  Over the years I've cut down those irrigation zones watering time tremendously.  Still need to cut down the white pines which are huge.  I'm liming the snot out the lawn this year with cal-turf pro.

Yea, the higher grass will catch more sunlight which is good for grass thickening to outcompete the moss, but the moss will then get more shade, which is also good--for moss to thrive-lol.

I think amarshall asked about the moss before--he knows the drill.  Shade, poor soil, poor drainage=Moss.  Moss will always be there unless you fix those issues permanently.

reason why I don't cut at the highest setting is I make a second pass to mulch whatever doesn't get mulched on first pass. need to set it at a higher setting to effectively do that. if I don't the dogs will bring all that grass in the house when they go out on dewy mornings. disaster. one thing I hate seeing is the guy who cuts his grass short and leaves all the clipping on their lawn to rot. have a new neighbor who inherited a nice lawn an promptly when in and cut it short and left the clippings. worse yet his mower deck isn't balanced so one side is high and one side is low. maybe I am to anal about my lawn?

Sounds like you need a bag attachment for your JD.  As annoying as grass clippings are, they are the best free organic material for your lawn.

Sounds like you need a bag attachment for your JD.  As annoying as grass clippings are, they are the best free organic material for your lawn.

probably worded it badly but yeah that's why I mulch. just take a couple of passes to completely mulch all the clippings

Mowing higher promotes stronger, healthier grass which crowds out weeds.

This.   Most weeds like sun and space to thrive. Taller grass and thicker grass helps curtail that. Cutting higher also lets roots grow deeper to reach cooler,more moist soil conditions.

This goes back to watering as well which is why you don't want to do frequent shallow watering---the roots don't grow as deep because the moisture is right at the surface. You want to train the roots to grow deeper where the soil is more consistently moist--which is the more infrequent deep watering technique.

Soil types mater too though.  Sandy soils aren't going to retain water well.   Might have to water more often.  

So are these leaf shreds all over the place from the gypsies? Little pieces and shards of Oak leaves everywhere

yes and fooking poop all over my deck which turns to green muck in rain. Birch trees at work are getting eaten bad, had the save a tree guys come in to evaluate.

Archived