SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 6th Annual SNE Lawn Thread - 2015

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished mulching and planing yesterday. Looks great. Veggies in too.

But, caterpillar catastrophe here. Chomping at the oaks. Poop everywhere to the point you can hear it falling.

God I hate them. I remember a year in the late 80s I think where they were out of control. Thankfully the trees adapt to them after a couple bad years before the caterpillars re-adapt again. Evolution at its finest.

God I hate them. I remember a year in the late 80s I think where they were out of control. Thankfully the trees adapt to them after a couple bad years before the caterpillars re-adapt again. Evolution at its finest.

They seem to love the south shore. Maybe our winters aren't harsh enough in general, despite this past one.

i had to dig up a lot of crappy grass along the edge of the driveway as I was spending to much time trying to repair it. i removed a 6-12" strip all along the driveway, put down new loam. i raked in seed, then spread a little more seed on top of that with some starter fertilizer. i covered it with the chopped straw, about 1/4" thick. after 5 days i was starting to see some sprouts, but i really had to look hard for them. after 7 days, the green was really starting to show. yesterday was day 9, and it is coming in perfectly. i am really happy with the results so far.

I used Pennington northeast blend grass seed, Scotts starter fertilizer, and covered with chopped straw.

I have had to water it quite a bit, as that area sees a lot of sun. but so far, worth the effort

i had to dig up a lot of crappy grass along the edge of the driveway as I was spending to much time trying to repair it. i removed a 6-12" strip all along the driveway, put down new loam. i raked in seed, then spread a little more seed on top of that with some starter fertilizer. i covered it with the chopped straw, about 1/4" thick. after 5 days i was starting to see some sprouts, but i really had to look hard for them. after 7 days, the green was really starting to show. yesterday was day 9, and it is coming in perfectly. i am really happy with the results so far.

I used Pennington northeast blend grass seed, Scotts starter fertilizer, and covered with chopped straw.

I have had to water it quite a bit, as that area sees a lot of sun. but so far, worth the effort

I said it before, You can have a very nice lawn with Pennington's or Scotts, if you just do some basic steps--weed control, water, soil management, fert.    You lawn will look better than 95% of other lawns.

Make sure you keep that baby watered through the summer though.  Spring seeding requires a lot more water than fall seeding.

Need water. Summer of annoyance V2.0

Was looking at equipment needed to pump water out of a brook that flows past my house in order to water the lawn. It's about $1,000 for a pump, wire and piping to make the approximately 250 foot run from the brook to the irrigation box for the lawn.

I said it before, You can have a very nice lawn with Pennington's or Scotts, if you just do some basic steps--weed control, water, soil management, fert.    You lawn will look better than 95% of other lawns.

Make sure you keep that baby watered through the summer though.  Spring seeding requires a lot more water than fall seeding.

irrigation FTW.

maple propellers are everywhere, and have set up shop right on the driveway edges i just seeded. more natural mulch i guess

can someone recommend an ornamental tree for corner of our house. We're having some landscaping done and landscaper has suggested a serviceberry tree. Wife and I didn't care for it and am leaning towards some type of crab apple. The tree should be fairly small and not have huge width or height when mature, hence leaning towards the ornamental. I believe we're restricted to zone 4 or below. 

The problem with fall seeding is leaves. If you seed in the fall..you have to blow the leaves every couple of days and it's impossible to grow seed with leaves/blowing etc..

not if you start early enough. i have found that labor day weekend is a great time to seed. nights are getting cooler

The problem with fall seeding is leaves. If you seed in the fall..you have to blow the leaves every couple of days and it's impossible to grow seed with leaves/blowing etc..

True, but I guess it should be called late summer/early fall seeding instead of just fall seeding.  You can start seeding in mid-August up this far north, even AUG 1st the further north you get.  That should get you  what, 6-8 weeks before leaf drop starts right? By that point you should have  nice turf  and can just mow the leaves right in.

Archived