SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 6th Annual SNE Lawn Thread - 2015

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must be an interior thing as the coast isn't affected.

Just 5 miles from the coast at work and holy sh it, Birch trees with thousands of caterpillars, wiping out our stand of 75 trees this week, dropping all over the sidewalks. Reports from all over the NE now of infestation. its bad and getting worse. No rain in the spring being a culprit according to USDA

Funny you guys are talking about these now. I had my issues last month.

you had tent caterpillars (winter moths)from the reports I saw out of Eastern Mass, the ones that parachute down and eat leaves. 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/05/26/tiny-famished-winter-moth-caterpillars-wreaking-havoc-trees/aOm7Vyw9kXOpNGamwI5igJ/story.html

Peonies and coral bells are just finishing up now.   Climbing rose is in bloom, as are the blue bells, the astilbe, the day lillies,  the yarrow, and the lupine (still).  Many things are on the verge however and will be out within days.... The tickseed coreopsis, coneflowers, begonias, asiatic lillies, tiger lillies, mullein, and sedum.   Dahlias have sprouted quite a bit in the last week and they are an exciting reminder of what is to come.

Also, the Jalapenos, Serranos, and Habaneros all have small peppers forming now.  Basil doing a little better, though it would like some warmer wx.  Cilantro practically wants to go to seed already... round 1 nearly done almost ready for a replant.   And although we aren't growing them, we've been picking and eating as many Strawberries as possible in the short window that they are available.  Excellent year for them, though the rain this week is concerning. 

I need to be able to put down weed/crab grass control fertilizer down on my front lawn, but its so new, I've only mowed it twice...but the crab grass is winning out...ugh!!!

Quinclorac.

Or Scott's starter fertilizer with weed and crabgrass control (mesotrione).

Was planning on picking up the Merit this week to lay it down end of week. I'll see if they are stocking it anymore

South Windsor has Merit with fertilizer and without in stock. I have to cut my lawn every 3-4 days right now to avoid clumping. Will be using merit only ...no fertilizer for awhile.

IMG_7267_zpssvx62qwv.jpg

South Windsor has Merit with fertilizer and without in stock. I have to cut my lawn every 3-4 days right now to avoid clumping. Will be using merit only ...no fertilizer for awhile.

IMG_7267_zpssvx62qwv.jpg

Lawn looks awesome..Yeah that's where I always go to get the goods. Prob grab some Wed or Thurs. I'll get some with the fert.. Fert or die

Grass growing very fast now, mowing interval is down to every 4 or 5 days. 

Just for fun I took my phone with me while mowing last night; recorded 8,760 steps to mow and clear the cut grass off the street with the blower.  That's about 3.3 miles based on an average of 2 feet per step.

Grass growing very fast now, mowing interval is down to every 4 or 5 days. 

Just for fun I took my phone with me while mowing last night; recorded 8,760 steps to mow and clear the cut grass off the street with the blower.  That's about 3.3 miles based on an average of 2 feet per step.

I used the Map My Run app last year one time when I mowed, 3.44 miles, the map looks like a big plate of spaghetti.

Archived