• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 6th Annual SNE Lawn Thread - 2015

Damage In Tolland

last falls acorns were never totally picked up. raking this spring yielded a large crop, but many got smooshed into the ground. the result is dozens of mini oak trees sprouting up in the lawn. :axe:

now i know why DIT is so anal about getting them all off his lawn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

last falls acorns were never totally picked up. raking this spring yielded a large crop, but many got smooshed into the ground. the result is dozens of mini oak trees sprouting up in the lawn. :axe:

now i know why DIT is so anal about getting them all off his lawn

Ding ding ding.. Gotta get them in the fall. Very acidic for the soil too

2nd year hydrangeas. From nearly nothing last year, to blooms collapsing the branches to the ground. Also put down an acidifier that brings out the color.

351D3156-1678-429F-ACA0-C3E6E84F5461.jpg

Heavy, Heavy grass.  That's looks like a spring growth flush.

Nice tree Hydrangea too. I think that's a Tardiva or Kuyshu tree hydrangea, could be wrong though.  There are a bunch that look very similar. 

Heavy, Heavy grass. That's looks like a spring growth flush.

Nice tree Hydrangea too. I think that's a Tardiva or Kuyshu tree hydrangea, could be wrong though. There are a bunch that look very similar.

Thanks. Yeah we have two of those trees, although not sure of the type. I have a few other beds, but that has the hydrangeas. That area gets some shade, so the grass is always green there lol.

While not a hot summer(yet) i don't think anyone can honestly say or believe it's been a cool, wet summer. If someone said it's been fairly normal..ok

NNE has been cooler and wetter than average so far this met summer, with VT taking the prize for wet.  At my place, precip matches the above map (110% of avg), June was the coolest of 18 and July is running -2.4 thru 27th.  That may get chopped to about -1.5 by Friday, but the month has been AN for cloudy days.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here? I filled in about 8 bare spots/holes on the lawn with fresh top soil and reseeded. New grass was sprouting up but I noticed one of my areas yesterday had some grass that was already wilting and dying even though I've been keeping it well watered. I went for closer inspection today and it almost looks like cobwebs among the grass. I attached a picture though it may be hard to see. 45453e1dcbe0599eb4bb44cb18b57f69.jpgMost of the other spots I reseeded are fine...although I did notice the same cobweb type stuff on one other spot but the grass still seems healthy at the moment. Any ideas what's going on?

Can anyone tell me what's going on here? I filled in about 8 bare spots/holes on the lawn with fresh top soil and reseeded. New grass was sprouting up but I noticed one of my areas yesterday had some grass that was already wilting and dying even though I've been keeping it well watered. I went for closer inspection today and it almost looks like cobwebs among the grass. I attached a picture though it may be hard to see. 45453e1dcbe0599eb4bb44cb18b57f69.jpgMost of the other spots I reseeded are fine...although I did notice the same cobweb type stuff on one other spot but the grass still seems healthy at the moment. Any ideas what's going on?

Dollar spot

Wonderful...so what should I do about it? Should I find a fungicide on this newly planted grass? Should I stop watering...or just water less? Leaving for vacation in 2 days...so don't really want to return to find this taking over the surrounding established grass.

Could be Dollar Spot.  Dollar Spot usually forms when you have some thick thatch--which you obviously don't have there. Something is going on though. 

When did you seed that area and have you cut the grass yet? Looks like you just seeded that area recently.

There are some bug guns to handle Dollar spot--ones you cant get at HD or Lowes--but those are for the extreme lawn nuts. There are some Bayer products at HD that can help control Dollar Spot and some other lawn diseases--they come in Granular and Hose-End sprayer varieties.

Could be Dollar Spot.  Dollar Spot usually forms when you have some thick thatch--which you obviously don't have there. Something is going on though. 

When did you seed that area and have you cut the grass yet? Looks like you just seeded that area recently.

There are some bug guns to handle Dollar spot--ones you cant get at HD or Lowes--but those are for the extreme lawn nuts. There are some Bayer products at HD that can help control Dollar Spot and some other lawn diseases--they come in Granular and Hose-End sprayer varieties.

Area was seeded about 12 days ago...so the grass itself is only about 7-8 days old and hasn't been cut yet. Just curious if this is a sign I've over watered...which is possible considering I was concerned about it drying out in the mid-July sun. I'll see what I can find at the hardware store. But even the unaffected areas are a bit patchy and will probably require over seeding in a couple months...so maybe I should just let this go and reseed it again in a couple months.

Area was seeded about 12 days ago...so the grass itself is only about 7-8 days old and hasn't been cut yet. Just curious if this is a sign I've over watered...which is possible considering I was concerned about it drying out in the mid-July sun. I'll see what I can find at the hardware store. But even the unaffected areas are a bit patchy and will probably require over seeding in a couple months...so maybe I should just let this go and reseed it again in a couple months.

Maybe overwatering, but I doubt it. Never seen a lawn fail because of over watering. Problem with seeding mid July is you have to water in heat/high dews which is a recipe for lawn disease.

Depending on the size you seeded, I would reseed in maybe late AUG/early SEPT for you area. You can get away with a later seed drop date than that even where you are near the coast. You know what type of seed you put down? Must have been fescue or perennial rye considering that it came up in 5 to 7 days and was that long in 2 weeks.

Maybe overwatering, but I doubt it. Never seen a lawn fail because of over watering. Problem with seeding mid July is you have to water in heat/high dews which is a recipe for lawn disease.

Depending on the size you seeded, I would reseed in maybe late AUG/early SEPT for you area. You can get away with a later seed drop date than that even where you are near the coast. You know what type of seed you put down? Must have been fescue or perennial rye considering that it came up in 5 to 7 days and was that long in 2 weeks.

Well hopefully I don't get lambasted for this...but no idea, whatever is in in the Scott's Sun/Shade mix. I guess I always assumed the trouble with summer seeding was the soil drying out...wasn't really thinking disease. Wife was getting tired looking at the massive bare spot in the front yard where we had a tree taken out and I pulled up a huge pachasandra bed..and I didn't get around to seeding in the spring...so I just went ahead and filled in the soil and put down the seed since I finally had some free time.  Live and learn I guess. But yes...will wait another month here before overseeding/reseeding.

Well hopefully I don't get lambasted for this...but no idea, whatever is in in the Scott's Sun/Shade mix. I guess I always assumed the trouble with summer seeding was the soil drying out...wasn't really thinking disease. Wife was getting tired looking at the massive bare spot in the front yard where we had a tree taken out and I pulled up a huge pachasandra bed..and I didn't get around to seeding in the spring...so I just went ahead and filled in the soil and put down the seed since I finally had some free time.  Live and learn I guess. But yes...will wait another month here before overseeding/reseeding.

Not at all, I have said it before in here a few times, nothing wrong with the Scotts Sun Shade mix. If you water correctly, fertilize timely, have good soil, and appropriate  growing conditions(sun/shade etc) you can get a really nice lawn from that.  Will you have the absolute best lawn possible? No, for that you need to get really good genetic seed from Seed Suppliers--they don't sell that stuff at Home Depot or Lowes.

That Scotts mix is probably just a Northern Mix of Kentucky Bluegrass, Perennial Rye and Tall Fescue I would guess. The Rye and TF will come in first and the KBG last.  I planted and Scotts Sun Shade mix in a 20ft x20ft area about 6 years ago maybe at my old house  and honestly it came out looking great.

I know you brought in topsoil, but If you have some wood chips in the area where the tree was taking out it can make it more difficult too grow grass there.

Not at all, I have said it before in here a few times, nothing wrong with the Scotts Sun Shade mix. If you water correctly, fertilize timely, have good soil, and appropriate growing conditions(sun/shade etc) you can get a really nice lawn from that. Will you have the absolute best lawn possible? No, for that you need to get really good genetic seed from Seed Suppliers--they don't sell that stuff at Home Depot or Lowes.

That Scotts mix is probably just a Northern Mix of Kentucky Bluegrass, Perennial Rye and Tall Fescue I would guess. The Rye and TF will come in first and the KBG last. I planted and Scotts Sun Shade mix in a 20ft x20ft area about 6 years ago maybe at my old house and honestly it came out looking great.

I know you brought in topsoil, but If you have some wood chips in the area where the tree was taking out it can make it more difficult too grow grass there.

All the Scott's Sun and Shade I've seen in CT has been creeping red fescue, perennial rye and kbg. I definitely agree though, it makes a fine lawn for 99% of the population, as does Pennington (who's sun and shade mix around here is always anchored by their own cultivars of TTTF, creeping red and a small amount of kbg thrown in so they can advertise it as self-repairing) and the Lesco mixes sold at HD. Not everyone wants to spend $300 just for seed in order to coddle an elite kbg for months to get it established and then be left with a high maintenance lawn.

Not at all, I have said it before in here a few times, nothing wrong with the Scotts Sun Shade mix. If you water correctly, fertilize timely, have good soil, and appropriate  growing conditions(sun/shade etc) you can get a really nice lawn from that.  Will you have the absolute best lawn possible? No, for that you need to get really good genetic seed from Seed Suppliers--they don't sell that stuff at Home Depot or Lowes.

That Scotts mix is probably just a Northern Mix of Kentucky Bluegrass, Perennial Rye and Tall Fescue I would guess. The Rye and TF will come in first and the KBG last.  I planted and Scotts Sun Shade mix in a 20ft x20ft area about 6 years ago maybe at my old house  and honestly it came out looking great.

I know you brought in topsoil, but If you have some wood chips in the area where the tree was taking out it can make it more difficult too grow grass there.

We did have the stump ground...as well as an older one in the back of the house. I spent quite a bit of time digging up most of the wood chips. In both spots I cleared out right down to the remains of the stump, which in the front yard was probably just about 6" below surrounding lawn, and in the back was probably a good 12". I know we'll have to do more filling years down the road once those stumps begin to decay underground, but I'm hopeful the areas should grow in well in the meantime. The other spots I filled were likely the sinking spots of some older stumps from trees years before we even moved in the house. But certainly not going for the perfect lawn...there's still quite a few problems areas where the soil is so rocky and/or dry and compacted...and those spots I really haven't had much luck keeping crab grass from sprouting up and eventually taking over half the lawn by summers end. The lawn probably needs a good professional aeration...but I've already blown enough money this year on the tree removal, soil, seed, and water. 

All the Scott's Sun and Shade I've seen in CT has been creeping red fescue, perennial rye and kbg. I definitely agree though, it makes a fine lawn for 99% of the population, as does Pennington (who's sun and shade mix around here is always anchored by their own cultivars of TTTF, creeping red and a small amount of kbg thrown in so they can advertise it as self-repairing) and the Lesco mixes sold at HD. Not everyone wants to spend $300 just for seed in order to coddle an elite kbg for months to get it established and then be left with a high maintenance lawn.

OK, I guess the Creeping Red Fescue will cover the "Shade" part of the mix.

100% correct about the elite KBG, not necessary for 99% of homeowners, the Scotts/Pennington mix can make fine lawns..or LESCO from HD or LESCO form John Deere Landscapes too can make great lawns.

I did and Elite TTTF lawn at my last house in PA, will be doing a KBG renovation probably next fall (2016) as I will be traveling to much for work this fall to do it. Excited to coddle it along ..lol.

Fixed.. lol.

Nice, is that wild or planted?

Thanks for the correction--never knew how it was spelled (as you now know). 

Technically, I think it was planted by the woman who lived here from the 1940's until about 2000.  She was big on gardening.  We've let tending to the garden go by the wayside the last couple of years, so much of it has spread from what had probably been planted.  We had another area that was a much larger wild batch.  That got done in by the pool.

Archived