• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 6th Annual SNE Lawn Thread - 2015

Damage In Tolland

I think you'd be really happy with that, but it does have some rye which tends to grow faster, as well as some fine fescue. The rye and fine fescue are both high performers in ntep trials in the northeast, however, and the blend is still mostly KBG.

It is definitely important, and not well understood by the typical consumer, that composition by weight and composition by seed count are two very different things.

My only last concern is being able to water enough. I'm planning on 4 oscillating sprinklers with two per house spigot. But still, 0.4ac and well water seems almost impossible to keep wet till germination. I was figuring 10 min per section then move sprinklers and continue. My guess, depending on how many times I need to move sprinklers is probably 30 min total time in morning then 30 min late afternoon. That's close to 600 gallons a day. We have 500' deep well, but still that's lots of water and not sure how successful it'll be. Might make more sense to do half lawn this fall and other half next fall, but is rather do it all at once. Decisions, decisions. Off to bed to dream of grass seed.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I won't buy cheap seed, was just surprised how costly it can be. Think I'll go with a blend. The SS5000 looks good.

http://www.seedsuperstore.com/catalog/p-100002/ss5000-sunny-mixture?zip=04071&type=sunny

I think you'd be really happy with that, but it does have some rye which tends to grow faster, as well as some fine fescue. The rye and fine fescue are both high performers in ntep trials in the northeast, however, and the blend is still mostly KBG.

It is definitely important, and not well understood by the typical consumer, that composition by weight and composition by seed count are two very different things.

Follow the proper steps and you will have a great lawn with that mix lava rock.  Bewitched and Midnight are 2 classic elite KBG cultivars.

My only last concern is being able to water enough. I'm planning on 4 oscillating sprinklers with two per house spigot. But still, 0.4ac and well water seems almost impossible to keep wet till germination. I was figuring 10 min per section then move sprinklers and continue. My guess, depending on how many times I need to move sprinklers is probably 30 min total time in morning then 30 min late afternoon. That's close to 600 gallons a day. We have 500' deep well, but still that's lots of water and not sure how successful it'll be. Might make more sense to do half lawn this fall and other half next fall, but is rather do it all at once. Decisions, decisions. Off to bed to dream of grass seed.

Lol.  When I got my Seed in the mail a few years ago I was like a kid on Christmas---pretty sad, and sick really :)  

Nothing wrong with breaking up the renovation if you don't think you can water it all.  Water is the most critical aspect once the seed is down.  Can't let those babies dry out.

Got another estimate on over seeding. First guy wants to spread loam then seed. Cost is $1200. Second guy wants to aerate then add seed. Cost $300. Not sure I like the idea of just throwing seed down even after aerating. I would think the loam spreading then seeding would be more effective.

You can rent a machine and aerate yourself, then throw down some seed for less than $300, and probably not get much done. The loam and lots of watering will get you much better results. Lots of water.

Afternoon sun is killer during these hot dry spells, almost no chance without irrigating.

Those hydrangea's may have seen better days..lol. They are thirsty plants anyway even under normal conditions.

Afternoon sun is killer during these hot dry spells, almost no chance without irrigating.

Those hydrangea's may have seen better days..lol. They are thirsty plants anyway even under normal conditions.

Under 4 inches here between July/Aug combined and zilch in Sept. Personally for this area..and I've lived in Tolland 15 years..this is the driest i've ever seen it. I just can't put that much strain on the well. Not in Sept. 

You can only push the current years soft growth so far before it simply dies back.  Unless you want a much smaller hydrangea next year, I recommend lugging a watering can and giving them a few gallons each.  It doesn't take much.

I just find it crazy that those hydrangeas see very little sun.It's almost full shade there now..and yet still they look like azz. Speaks to the dryness I guess.

Archived