amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The 6th Annual SNE Lawn Thread - 2015

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok friends. Walk me through this as I haven't had a lawn in 30 years. Moving in late September or early October. Mowing over by then? What to do in the fall up to the snow season?

Mowing depends on how warm fall is and when you have a good freeze. Usually after the final fall cleanup in November, that's my last mow. However, grass is not growing much past mid October.

Ok friends. Walk me through this as I haven't had a lawn in 30 years. Moving in late September or early October. Mowing over by then? What to do in the fall up to the snow season?

my last mow is around thanksgiving, but I have a later frost down here. as coastal said growth wanes after mid-to late oct. I usually start lowering the deck around late Oct. I like short grass in the winter. given your move-in date if you're inclined you'll want to put winterizer down around the last mow and think about getting some lime down before the ground freezes. check your area to see if you can get a free soil sample that will determine how much lime you need.

my last mow is around thanksgiving, but I have a later frost down here. as coastal said growth wanes after mid-to late oct. I usually start lowering the deck around late Oct. I like short grass in the winter. given your move-in date if you're inclined you'll want to put winterizer down around the last mow and think about getting some lime down before the ground freezes. check your area to see if you can get a free soil sample that will determine how much lime you need.

Thank you. I may hire someone for the fall because who knows when I'll have a lawnmower

cut grass as short as possible, snow covers quicker, pick up all leaves especially edge of driveway where Snowblower can spread. Nothing worse than leaves on pure whiteness.

Good advice. Made the mistake of not cleaning up leaves from the driveway well enough last year.

Shorty grass? He also goes sledding on dustings.

If the ruler isn't sideways or shoved down into the dirt, then what's there is what's there. Long grass could artificially deflate a measurement, but it's not going to work the other way around.

Re: his sledding activities, I decline to comment.

If the ruler isn't sideways or shoved down into the dirt, then what's there is what's there. Long grass could artificially deflate a measurement, but it's not going to work the other way around.

Re: his sledding activities, I decline to comment.

By the time his Dad thought it was safe to sled the snow was over poor little Byrces head. Kid will never ski the glades, scarred for life.

cut grass as short as possible, snow covers quicker, pick up all leaves especially edge of driveway where Snowblower can spread. Nothing worse than leaves on pure whiteness.

Unfortunately, it seems like onion grass grows year-round, so even a good mow in November won't keep it down for the winter. To solve this problem, I go out before a storm with scissors and trim it right to the dirt.

:weenie:

You'll be posting a lot in this thread next year.  When do you move?

LOL at the market out by you.  Nothing moves that fast in GC.

Crazy market with pent up demand and in my town, a desirable location with great schools, ridiculous market heat.

I'm figuring we'll move in around 9/24-5 or so.

We are going to be topseeding our 0.4ac lawn soon. Landscaper will bring in 12 yards of compost and 75lbs of seed. We're on well water and I'm trying to figure out how best to water it all until is sprouts. Are there any sprinklers that work better than others? I've got one that as ~ 12 nozzles and waves back and forth. Are those stake-like ones that turn in circles better? I'm a bit apprehensive about spending the $1200 then not be able to keep up with the watering.

Hope your well is up to the task, as each 0.1" of watering on 0.4 acres is about 1,100 gallons.  Of course, this late in the season and with all that compost, one good watering might be all that's needed.  (Unless the rain quits completely for two months.)

yes, hoping mother nature provides some liquid. Well only has about 700 gallons when full. Don't like to water for more than 15min stretches before recharging. I may buy a couple sprinkler timers, but am leery they'll malfunction and won't shut off while at work. 

Thinking a couple other these sprinklers would work well:

http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-56667N-Impact-Sprinkler-Tripod/dp/B004VUA82K/ref=sr_1_7?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1440423288&sr=1-7&keywords=lawn+sprinkler&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011#Ask

yes, hoping mother nature provides some liquid. Well only has about 700 gallons when full. Don't like to water for more than 15min stretches before recharging. I may buy a couple sprinkler timers, but am leery they'll malfunction and won't shut off while at work. 

Thinking a couple other these sprinklers would work well:

http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-56667N-Impact-Sprinkler-Tripod/dp/B004VUA82K/ref=sr_1_7?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1440423288&sr=1-7&keywords=lawn+sprinkler&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011#Ask

Would suggest you sprinkle thoroughly over small areas rather than slightly over the whole lawn.  However, if you could see our lawn, you might choose to ignore anything I say about plants shorter than 50 feet.  ;)

We are going to be topseeding our 0.4ac lawn soon. Landscaper will bring in 12 yards of compost and 75lbs of seed. We're on well water and I'm trying to figure out how best to water it all until is sprouts. Are there any sprinklers that work better than others? I've got one that as ~ 12 nozzles and waves back and forth. Are those stake-like ones that turn in circles better? I'm a bit apprehensive about spending the $1200 then not be able to keep up with the watering.

my suggestion is to have the seed sprayed with cellulose. You can choose your own seed to mix with the cellulose. the advantage of the cellulose spray over just seeding is twofold (there may be others). 1st the cellulose tends to retain the moisture better (less watering) and 2nd the seed will root in the cellulose initially and then root in the soil (higher success rate). I did about a third of my lot (about .3 acres)  two years ago and had great success . good luck

Archived