joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 6th Annual SNE Lawn Thread - 2015

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warm , dry spring. Allowed all the flowers to maximize and multiply. Ideal conditions for any type of flowering tree. Crushed in corns

I'm sure the warm May this year was great for both flowers and pollinators, or why I was able to fill two 5-gal buckets and a 20-gal washtub from my semi-dwarf Haralred and have the tree still holding so much fruit as to look like I hadn't picked yet.  Dangerous walking nearby as well, due to all the drops.  However, the flowers that produced all the (red oak) acorns people are skidding on blossomed in May of last year, when spring was thoroughly avg for temp and rain, once we made it thru frigid March.

The acorns have been going crazy at my place. Every time I walk outside i get pelted in the head, and my car looks like it has hail damage  :cry:. There are a lott of them this year.

Out of control this year. I bet if I get a head start, I can zoom across my front yard, just from rolling on acorns.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been living here in bernardston for 16 years, and like Kevin, I have a heavily wooded lot dominated by oaks.

Event year I have to do 2 seperate leaf cleanups, one for everything else that falls first, and one 2 weeks later for the oaks.

This is the first year where I was forced to do one big cleanup. The maples, birches, and everything else were very delayed, but the oaks fell right on schedule. I've never seen that.

I'd say that in my yard, everything, with the exception of the typical handfull of of oak stragglers, are off the trees.

I've been living here in bernardston for 16 years, and like Kevin, I have a heavily wooded lot dominated by oaks.

Event year I have to do 2 seperate leaf cleanups, one for everything else that falls first, and one 2 weeks later for the oaks.

This is the first year where I was forced to do one big cleanup. The maples, birches, and everything else were very delayed, but the oaks fell right on schedule. I've never seen that.

I'd say that in my yard, everything, with the exception of the typical handfull of of oak stragglers, are off the trees.

same here,thats a first.

A week or so early for you. They usually drop first week of Nov here and it's typically more mid Nov for the water areas

I don't think so. I think a bit late. Although, it is possible last year's dry summer hastened the drop. I also notice some oaks really hang onto leaves, while others are almost bare. 

I don't think so. I think a bit late. Although, it is possible last year's dry summer hastened the drop. I also notice some oaks really hang onto leaves, while others are almost bare.

My oaks are bare but across the street same red oak is full. I just hope the wind stays its predicted ENE tomorrow. Took me 4 hours today to clean up. Still shaking my head at the acorn production.

Archived