• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 6th Annual SNE Lawn Thread - 2015

Damage In Tolland

As the last flakes fly this morning it's a very late start to the lawn and garden season this year. But as we lose the glacier from our yards and neighborhoods over the next week or so..it's time to get outside and clean up the mess that winter 2015 has left behind.. Who knows what dangers, treats, and treasures lie beneath the still 6-15 inch mantle of white in our lawns. Many shrubs will have been killed off by the harsh conditions..moles will have run rampant on folks who don't know how to get rid of them. It's time for lawnmower and tractor tuneups, fertilizer planning and buying, decisions about where to reseed, what needs painting on the property, what new shrubs and plants you want to buy this year. A lot of lawn and garden and property strategizing lies ahead.Hopefully the mets are correct and we avoid spring and get right into summer. Let the new season begin!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here's my question.  I had a new deck put in last fall. (Azek)  contractors had to dig up around the edge and they seeded and put straw down.   That was mid November, too late for anything to come up.  Question is will that seed germinate?  attachicon.gifIMG_3136.JPG

yes once the soil warms up. it may not fill in very thick this year, but next year should be better. it depends on the kind of seed they used. sometimes contractors use seed that grows quick but doesnt last long. you may need to overseed in the fall

I would guess some of that seed should still germinate provided it didn't wash away. It won't come in overly thick i wouldn't think..but it is very cold resistant and the snow pack shielded it during the bitter period.. You may need to overseed it again in late spring or early fall

I'm thinking of tossing some seed down mid April just in case.  and then a real overseed in the fall.  Thx.

So here's my question.  I had a new deck put in last fall. (Azek)  contractors had to dig up around the edge and they seeded and put straw down.   That was mid November, too late for anything to come up.  Question is will that seed germinate?  attachicon.gifIMG_3136.JPG

They did what is called "dormant seeding" Basically throw seed down after any chance of germination in the fall and the seed sits until spring. Having a good snow pack is good as the seed can then work down into the soil and then when the soil warms up in late spring hopefully some seed made it and you get some germination. The soil will be nice and moist too from the snowmelt, so that's good.

I dormant seeded a few years ago at my place down in PA just as a test really. Didn't come into to well, but maybe yours will.

I have some leftover Fall blend of grass seed, is it ok to use that product in the spring as well or is there certain chemical properties or components make it for Fall use only?

It would grow if you mixed them..but if you do that you entertain bringing in weeds unless both are super high quality seed

When it says "Fall mix" or "Spring Mix" that is just marketing by Scotts/Pennington/etc. You can plant Fall Mix in the Spring and Spring Mix in the Fall.

But Fall is far and away the best time to plant grass seed. No question. Plant in Spring you may be asking for trouble--competing with weeds, if summer is hot/dry you need to water ALOT through the whole summer to get it established and survive.

When it says "Fall mix" or "Spring Mix" that is just marketing by Scotts/Pennington/etc. You can plant Fall Mix in the Spring and Spring Mix in the Fall.

But Fall is far and away the best time to plant grass seed. No question. Plant in Spring you may be asking for trouble--competing with weeds, if summer is hot/dry you need to water ALOT through the whole summer to get it established and survive.

Are you the dude that used to live in Pa. That was a landscaper and used to post in our threads sometimes? What was your old screen name?

Is this the thread where we can discuss Monsanto's Roundup and how it causes cancer?

"Earlier this month, the World Health Organization’s International Agency for Research on Cancer announced findings that glyphosate, the main ingredient in Monsanto’s RoundUp line of pesticides, is “probably carcinogenic to humans.” The research, published in The Lancet Oncology, relies on studies conducted on the chemical over the last few decades."

Chew on that EPA.

I'm almost afraid to see the disaster left after it melts.

I have a lot of broken shrubs here and there. Still can't get to a few to really see the damage. I'm basicaly snow free except on the north side where there's still nearly a foot because my idiot neighbor snow blows his driveway over onto my yard and destroys my viburnam and inkberry hollies nearly every winter.

Hopefully the rest of the snow will torch off this week so I can start trimming the damage.

There will be no blueberry crop at the Semper house this year. Those 3 shrubs got crushed from the roof raking operations. After I prune them back, it's probably a good time to move them.

So what shrub can I put in under the kitchen window, in full sun, that can deal with the snow load from the roof? Or maybe I just expand the tomato bed and leave it blank all winter.

There will be no blueberry crop at the Semper house this year. Those 3 shrubs got crushed from the roof raking operations. After I prune them back, it's probably a good time to move them.

So what shrub can I put in under the kitchen window, in full sun, that can deal with the snow load from the roof? Or maybe I just expand the tomato bed and leave it blank all winter.

Azaela, Hydreanga, Holly

Archived