joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 6th Annual SNE Lawn Thread - 2015

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like streets lined with majestic sycamore trees, I think they look like Ents. Of course, they need most soil to thrive.

Personally, if stick to maple. ...keep it the same.

I also like streets lined with Sycamores. There were a few towns by me growing up in PA that had towering Sycamores lining the streets--pretty majestic.

But, Sycamores are also have issues. I had a 300yr old Sycamore in my front yard. It was massive, one of the biggest in PA. Mine and many other sycamores around me got Anthracnose, which basically results in the leaves browning and dropping from April through Dec, almost nonstop. Its terrible. The tree wont be bare and it regrows leaves, but it consistently drops leaves, twigs and Fruit balls all Spring, Summer and Fall.

We didn't have many old large Sugar Maples in PA, so I have always loved that about New England. I would stick with some type of Sugar Maple since you already have them there.

I also like streets lined with Sycamores. There were a few towns by me growing up in PA that had towering Sycamores lining the streets--pretty majestic.

But, Sycamores are also have issues. I had a 300yr old Sycamore in my front yard. It was massive, one of the biggest in PA. Mine and many other sycamores around me got Anthracnose, which basically results in the leaves browning and dropping from April through Dec, almost nonstop. Its terrible. The tree wont be bare and it regrows leaves, but it consistently drops leaves, twigs and Fruit balls all Spring, Summer and Fall.

We didn't have many old large Sugar Maples in PA, so I have always loved that about New England. I would stick with some type of Sugar Maple since you already have them there.

Thanks.

You guys ever see the Pinchot Sycamore in Simsbury ct? That thing is a beast.

PinchotSycamore7.JPG

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinchot_Sycamore

Black Locust grows fast and well next to roads and generally crappy areas, they actually plant it in Europe because it tolerates road side pollution so well.  Of course...its invasive...and might be illegal to plant? 

It does grow like a weed.  Also, might have the highest BTU of any firewood out there, but it's a b**ch to light.

might not even be able to burn this year....or might have to burn illegally....snow pack covering the brush pile through April?

I was lamenting that, too.  I may have to go the route of the year-round agricultural burn.  Abutting farmland, ftw.

You guys ever see the Pinchot Sycamore in Simsbury ct? That thing is a beast.

PinchotSycamore7.JPG

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinchot_Sycamore

I used to drive by that when my daughters were living in West Hartford.  Really nice tree.

It could be a pileated woodpecker. This one was out back right at ground level. By the time I got my camera out he was at about 6' or so.

attachicon.gif20091219-IMG_2064.jpg

That was my reaction to the hole; I dismissed it given the height as the pileated are usually WAY up on a tree.  But, given what you saw, perhaps that was it.

43.1/35

Agricultural Burn? Does that mean you can burn outside typical periods? How do I qualify? lol. 

Yes I actually read somewhere that black locust has the same BTU content as anthracite, seems far fetched to me.  I haven't actually tried to burn any myself, haven't had the opportunity.  Surprised its hard to light, as they say you can even burn it green.  

Put first feeding down yesterday. Some asked for a feeding program. This flyer is what the local Deere landscape guys put out . Basically the same as has been mentioned here already .

As i said in a in earlier post, I don't put down any early spring nitrogen (stated reasons in post)

But i know most people do, and for those who want to follow that schedule from John deere, I don't see any dates that correspond with the treatments listed?

As i said in a in earlier post, I don't put down any early spring nitrogen (stated reasons in post)

But i know most people do, and for those who want to follow that schedule from John deere, I don't see any dates that correspond with the treatments listed?

Around here 1st application around this time and then each application about every 5-6 (give or take) weeks is what they suggest

Archived