CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
The 6th Annual SNE Lawn Thread - 2015

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the south shore soil. It's horrible.

Andrew, I tried this stuff called love your lawn by Johnathan green. It helped sustain micro organisms and keeps the soil softer for tough patches like what appears to be there. Try that. Loosen the soil up nicely and seed it now. Let it get some good roots before it gets bakes later in June.

It's the south shore soil. It's horrible.

Andrew, I tried this stuff called love your lawn by Johnathan green. It helped sustain micro organisms and keeps the soil softer for tough patches like what appears to be there. Try that. Loosen the soil up nicely and seed it now. Let it get some good roots before it gets bakes later in June.

In place of Lesco? Ugh

Also, try dish detergent.

Well I suppose it is like fertilizer. It's actually an organic product, but this property was in tough shape and just kind of had that tough and malnourished look. I used it in combo with the Lesco stuff and it looked incredible before the dam dry weather came in the summer.

Well I suppose it is like fertilizer. It's actually an organic product, but this property was in tough shape and just kind of had that tough and malnourished look. I used it in combo with the Lesco stuff and it looked incredible before the dam dry weather came in the summer.

From what you described, it sounded like a wetting agent to help fight soil compaction, which then allows the space between the soil for microorganisms to thrive. Dish detergent will theoretically do the same thing.

From what you described, it sounded like a wetting agent to help fight soil compaction, which then allows the space between the soil for microorganisms to thrive. Dish detergent will theoretically do the same thing.

Yeah you may be right. I heard that too. It also has iron in it as well.

As will baby shampoo, in theory certain ingredients in it act as liquid aeration and allows for more water absorption into the soil. It can be sprayed through a hose end sprayer and it's cheap.

But if he has really sandy soil that's probably not the best bet.

Add as much organic matter as possible-compost, peat moss, grass clippings, etc.

That soil was the scotts lawn soil added on top of Duxbury sandy soil. There is some white pines next to it which will get the saw soon. 

I'll try the Jonathan Green stuff.  I do have to go to JD Landscapes today to pick up some product for moss.

Pines suck for grass. 

I'm slowly getting more confident at dropping big pines.  I dumped 2 last weekend. 

I love pines, but they can be a pain for the yard. Just lime the hell out of that area too....I also think Iron is good to prevent moss?

I started raking the sh*t out of my yard yesterday to get some moss out. 

Tinges of green are appearing in the grass, but it's heavy, heavy brown still.

One area of concern is the area that had been replanted after the pool excavation.  It's about an 1/8 of an acre that had to be redone from scratch.  It reached an 'okay' rating by me when all was said and done last year, but the proof will really be in if/how it bounces back this year.  I'm thinking of just throwing some more seed down and let nature take it's course.  Any thoughts on that approach?

That soil was the scotts lawn soil added on top of Duxbury sandy soil. There is some white pines next to it which will get the saw soon. 

I'll try the Jonathan Green stuff.  I do have to go to JD Landscapes today to pick up some product for moss.

Moss indicates less than ideal grass growing conditions- Low PH, too much shade, poor drainage.  You have to fix those issues or it will come back.  A soil test would give you your PH number (it seems like maybe you SE Mass guys have low PH?) You can also limb up some pines or take a few out to get more sun in there.  Having Sandy soil I doubt you have drainage issues.

One area of concern is the area that had been replanted after the pool excavation.  It's about an 1/8 of an acre that had to be redone from scratch.  It reached an 'okay' rating by me when all was said and done last year, but the proof will really be in if/how it bounces back this year.  I'm thinking of just throwing some more seed down and let nature take it's course.  Any thoughts on that approach?

You can throw some down and pray for rain I guess .Probably wont have the best results though honestly. You have to keep seed constantly moist when you put it down until you get some spouts, you cant let it dry out.  You also need good seed to soil contact for germination. If you overseed into existing grass you need to make sure it gets down to the soil and is not just floating on top of the grass.

Moss indicates less than ideal grass growing conditions- Low PH, too much shade, poor drainage.  You have to fix those issues or it will come back.  A soil test would give you your PH number (it seems like maybe you SE Mass guys have low PH?) You can also limb up some pines or take a few out to get more sun in there.  Having Sandy soil I doubt you have drainage issues.

No coincidence areas with pines have moss too. PH and moisture from the shade. My moss this year is much much less of a problem, compared to last year. I raked the hell out of the area with the moss and tried to keep the PH in check with lime in the fall before winter. I'm sure it helped. Best way to get moss out, is with one of those metal spring rakes. If it takes up the grass with it..oh well. Just reseed. Gotta get the moss out.

Try detaching or  raking and then fertilizing.Gotta let the lawn breathe..Possibly even aerate

Archived