Newest Member
    joxey
The 6th Annual SNE Lawn Thread - 2015

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hate those trees. There invasive too.

I remember reading an article in Yankee Magazine years ago about invasive species and I recall the question of does something ever get past invasive and become accepted. The example used was lilac, it's been around forever and generally liked but it's an invasive species if you go back far enough.

I remember reading an article in Yankee Magazine years ago about invasive species and I recall the question of does something ever get past invasive and become accepted. The example used was lilac, it's been around forever and generally liked but it's an invasive species if you go back far enough.

Most common garden Lilacs are minimally invasive at best if at all I think though. I think there is one version of Japanese Lilac that is invasive, but I don't know much about it honestly.  Plus you like you mentioned, Lilacs in general are liked, Norway Maples are not.   I had a  40 yr old Norway Maple at the edge of my property backing up to a wooded area and there must have been 20-30 Norway saplings between 2-10 ft tall nearby that propagated from that one old Norway.  In 50 years it will be  Norway Maple forest (exaggerating, but you get my point). They outcompete most local species of tree, especially Sugar Maples.

Most common garden Lilacs are minimally invasive at best if at all I think though. I think there is one version of Japanese Lilac that is invasive, but I don't know much about it honestly.  Plus you like you mentioned, Lilacs in general are liked, Norway Maples are not.   I had a  40 yr old Norway Maple at the edge of my property backing up to a wooded area and there must have been 20-30 Norway saplings between 2-10 ft tall nearby that propagated from that one old Norway.  In 50 years it will be  Norway Maple forest (exaggerating, but you get my point). They outcompete most local species of tree, especially Sugar Maples.

Totally agree on the Norway maple, giant weeds that we are stuck with.

I noticed yesterday many people have already mowed in CT valley. Many flowering trees in full bloom etc... Just a different world there. 3 more games today and a softball practice for good measure.

Yeah nowhere near mowing here, but trees are flowering...however that's a good week behind for those early flowering trees only aided by the nice stretch we had mid month. Otherwise those oaks and hardwood maples are lifeless still. I have noticed the Norway maples are getting those green buds type things. 3 years ago, they were fully leafed out...lol.

This will be the latest first mow since I moved here in 2005. Still at least 10 days away.. The lack of rain has really hurt the green up process this year. But I think what really did it was the extended snow cover until Easter. #couldn'tbreathe

I'm with you too. Not even close to a mow.

Archived