joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 6th Annual SNE Lawn Thread - 2015

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the most effective treatment for lawn weeds like creeping charlie, dandelions,etc? I've got a 5g sprayer so would rather mix of some concentrate instead of small weed b gone bottles.

Ortho CCO (CLOVER, CHICKWEED, OXALIS) for creeping charlie. They only sell it cocncentrate, so it would work for you. Dandelions are an easy kill with general weed b gon..you can probably find that in concentrate also and mix the CCO and weed b gon together.

There are some big guns (tenacity) for harder to kill stuff, but you should be able to get most weeds with stuff from HD or lowes.

Ortho CCO (CLOVER, CHICKWEED, OXALIS) for creeping charlie. They only sell it cocncentrate, so it would work for you. Dandelions are an easy kill with general weed b gon..you can probably find that in concentrate also and mix the CCO and weed b gon together.

There are some big guns (tenacity) for harder to kill stuff, but you should be able to get most weeds with stuff from HD or lowes.

Oh OK. I've got some tenacity kicking around.

Before trucking in loam to completely redo the area around the pool (I do not want to do that), I'm going make a go of it with Scott's mulch/feed/seed mix.  It's not a huge area (about 1300-1500 sq ft).  I might have managed to resuscitate an equal area on the other two sides of the pool, so at least I'm making progress.

Meanwhile, I got this in my latest Trulia email.

http://www.trulia.com/blog/yard-karma-is-your-landscaping-revealing-more-than-you-know/?ecampaign=cnews&eurl=www.trulia.com%2Fblog%2Fyard-karma-is-your-landscaping-revealing-more-than-you-know%2F

Before trucking in loam to completely redo the area around the pool (I do not want to do that), I'm going make a go of it with Scott's mulch/feed/seed mix. It's not a huge area (about 1300-1500 sq ft). I might have managed to resuscitate an equal area on the other two sides of the pool, so at least I'm making progress.

http://www.trulia.com/blog/yard-karma-is-your-landscaping-revealing-more-than-you-know/?ecampaign=cnews&eurl=www.trulia.com%2Fblog%2Fyard-karma-is-your-landscaping-revealing-more-than-you-know%2F

I read the Scotts premix is very light on actual seed.mostly mulch. The per pound cost of seed is way more than just buying seed.

Before trucking in loam to completely redo the area around the pool (I do not want to do that), I'm going make a go of it with Scott's mulch/feed/seed mix.  It's not a huge area (about 1300-1500 sq ft).  I might have managed to resuscitate an equal area on the other two sides of the pool, so at least I'm making progress.

get yourself some decent seed, add a little starter fert, and cover the area with straw. and of course, water frequently

get yourself some decent seed, add a little starter fert, and cover the area with straw. and of course, water frequently

I used peat moss as my top dressing in last renovation at my old house. It's organic, holds moisture very well keeping seeds from drying out and helps prevent washouts from downpours. It worked well.

I used peat moss as my top dressing in last renovation at my old house. It's organic, holds moisture very well keeping seeds from drying out and helps prevent washouts from downpours. It worked well.

This really hurt my efforts last year.

Peat really does help. It's a lot of work though to spread if you have a big yard. I used it on my somewhat hilly backyard at my old house. Yard is steeper than it seems in these pics. Didn't have any washout and came out nice.(washout can still happen with crazy rates)

Before reno (disaster)

post-10812-0-93630200-1431306814_thumb.j

After

post-10812-0-82449900-1431306826_thumb.j

day 1 of irrigation turned on. Hopefully I get a better green up. 

I figured out what is invading all of my beds and lawn. What a nightmare between this and knotwood 

http://blog.mlive.com/gardening/2007/08/lily_of_valley_invasive_hard_t.html

Dude, I was about to post that. I have it too. My wife planted it and it spread. I had to use a hoe and rip it up.

Archived