• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 6th Annual SNE Lawn Thread - 2015

Damage In Tolland

Amazing what 2 days of water did to the lawn. Rapid green up.

I bought some loam and did some overseeding last year.  All of the organic matter in the loam is gone and what's left is cement sandy nonsense.  I know where I wont be buying loam this year.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing what 2 days of water did to the lawn. Rapid green up.

I bought some loam and did some overseeding last year.  All of the organic matter in the loam is gone and what's left is cement sandy nonsense.  I know where I wont be buying loam this year.

What place?  

I thought about spreading peat moss. Is there a good way of doing so? Seems tedious.

What place?  

I thought about spreading peat moss. Is there a good way of doing so? Seems tedious.

Not really, it is tedious and also a dirty and messy job. I just dumped the bags  and then spread with a garden rake and leaf rake. 

if you are only doing a relatively small area, then its not too bad. Doing 15000 sq ft+----yea its a pain.

Not really, it is tedious and also a dirty and messy job. I just dumped the bags  and then spread with a garden rake and leaf rake. 

if you are only doing a relatively small area, then its not too bad. Doing 15000 sq ft+----yea its a pain.

Just some patchy areas. I figured it would a pain, but nothing you can do.  My issue really is the sunny areas in my yard with ledge underneath helping to bake it. 

I also found a nice sink hole...likely from all the broken up ledge underneath with dirt piled on top, only to leach down into the crevasses. Thing was pretty big. 

These guys are meh

Pretty much, though when they sting it's a good one.  And they will defend their nests - all of our stings came from when we were unknowingly close to nests, except for the indoor event in which one crawled into my pant leg.  She got pinched as I walked and let me know about it, and when I instinctively slapped (one cannot kill a wasp by slapping it while it's on one's hammy, especially when buffered by clothing), she gave me the full load on #2.

backedgeapproaching:  15,000 sq.ft.?  Time to bring in some serious machinery, as that's 45-50 cu.yd. to put down a one-inch layer.

In case anyone cares, Peat Moss is not a good material to use if you care about being eco-friendly.  Go read up on how the stuff is harvested.  There are alternatives to using it.  If you are just looking to amend your soil to add organic material, I'd go with with either loam/compost or even an alfalfa or soybean pellet.  

In case anyone cares, Peat Moss is not a good material to use if you care about being eco-friendly.  Go read up on how the stuff is harvested.  There are alternatives to using it.  If you are just looking to amend your soil to add organic material, I'd go with with either loam/compost or even an alfalfa or soybean pellet.  

If you are just looking to just add amend your soil, I agree compost/loam is a better option.  The way I used Peat is to use it as a top dressing for seeding a lawn--Peat is better product for keeping seed moist than compost/loam. If you have ever watered Peat you will see how hydrophobic it is, it takes a while to get it saturated and stays moist  for long periods of time.

As far as how non-eco friendly Peat is--there are  widely varying views  on how much we are hurting the Peat bogs by harvesting.  

There are many organic options to amend soil- cracked corn, alfalfa, molasses, milk, coffee grounds, grains, kelp. They can help soil biology.  I have used most of them actually.

Pretty much, though when they sting it's a good one.  And they will defend their nests - all of our stings came from when we were unknowingly close to nests, except for the indoor event in which one crawled into my pant leg.  She got pinched as I walked and let me know about it, and when I instinctively slapped (one cannot kill a wasp by slapping it while it's on one's hammy, especially when buffered by clothing), she gave me the full load on #2.

backedgeapproaching:  15,000 sq.ft.?  Time to bring in some serious machinery, as that's 45-50 cu.yd. to put down a one-inch layer.

Spread by hand in sweltering early Sept Mid-Atl heat. Fun times.

Terrible, I'm annoyed, but I would be seriously pissed if I put the kind of effort I gather you do on yours.

They came back and cleaned the mess today without me even calling or saying anything.  Guess they just ran out of time yesterday.

Lawn and garden taking off after 1.34" of liquid from above last night and today.

Deep green and growing by the minute it seems

Yeah, my weeds, errr lawn, really greened up seemingly overnight. Even the understory in the woods seemed to explode. There always seems to be an infinite number of shades of green this time of year.

Archived