joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 6th Annual SNE Lawn Thread - 2015

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sprinklers are fired up currently. Dry and warm thru day 10.. Had to do it in May FTL

Yea, preferably you want 1" of water (rain or irrigation) per week to keep you lawn top notch.  We have not had that the last few weeks.  The soil is still pretty cool below the surface and is retaining moisture better than if we had this dry spell in July, but still probably smart to get some water on it.

The thicker, well fertilized, more established lawns will have deeper root systems and will be able to get to moisture more easily. If you have a new lawn (maybe put in the last 2 years) your root system will be shorter and would need more watering during dry spells.

That's not a weed i don't think. it's a kind of annual..If it's what i think it is..it has little white flowers on it once it comes out and then has petals kind of tulip shaped, but they don't get any higher than knee high in summer..Not a bad looking plant,,but it does spread.(if it's what i think it is)

I definitely an annual. Has a flower and doesn't get much higher than 6"-8"

Whats worse is that the stem leaves enough room between each shoot for grass and weeds to grow.  So you have weeds growing between them.  it's starting to grow into the lawn.

I nuke.

I definitely an annual. Has a flower and doesn't get much higher than 6"-8"

Whats worse is that the stem leaves enough room between each shoot for grass and weeds to grow.  So you have weeds growing between them.  it's starting to grow into the lawn.

I nuke.

You may have to nuke multiple times, some plants//flowers/weeds with stolon's/rhizomes are notoriously tough to kill with 1 nuke job.  May want to nuke and dig out if you can.       

Creeping bentgrass and Poa Trivialis (stolons/rhizomes) come to mind as  hard to eradicate out of lawns with just glyphosate.                                                                                                

Amazing what some water did for the lawn today. Absolutely stunning how quickly it responded to some solid water. 15 days in a row of no rain and counting.

Might be warmer weather? I did nothing and it really greened up. I noticed that when I edged the planting beds today, soil was still moist unless it was torched by sun all day. It was pretty moist still.

Might be warmer weather? I did nothing and it really greened up. I noticed that when I edged the planting beds today, soil was still moist unless it was torched by sun all day. It was pretty moist still.

The top 2 inches is dry...but yeah if you did down there is still some moist soil..so like Backedgeneverapproaching said..if you've got good root structure..it will green. But man it is as dry as I've ever seen it in May

Wouldn't you want to wait a bit to let roots grow? The bottom layer of soil is still wet. I don't know....to me, it seems like watering now encourages shallow roots.

Your right in a general sense, light watering's spread out over multiple days will encourage shallower roots because the roots don't need to try to grow long since you are keeping the top layer moist.

If you are going to water, you want to try to get down 1" at one time, not 1" spread out over 3-4 days.  But its hard to get that 1" with sprinklers, its a lot easier if you have an irrigation system like amarshall.  I used sprinklers in my last house and the water bill was huge, not saying it wouldn't be with in ground irrigation either.

Your right in a general sense, light watering's spread out over multiple days will encourage shallower roots because the roots don't need to try to grow long since you are keeping the top layer moist.

If you are going to water, you want to try to get down 1" at one time, not 1" spread out over 3-4 days.  But its hard to get that 1" with sprinklers, its a lot easier if you have an irrigation system like amarshall.  I used sprinklers in my last house and the water bill was huge, not saying it wouldn't be with in ground irrigation either.

if you had irrigation, would you run a zone for 1/2 hour every night, or for a longer period every other night?

if you had irrigation, would you run a zone for 1/2 hour every night, or for a longer period every other night?

I have never had in ground irrigation, so not sure of the how long to run them.  Its not about time, its about how much water they are putting out.  Every system is different depending on water pressure and what system you have. You want 1" per week, so you could run it twice per week putting out .5" each time.  Not sure if your system lets you know how much you have watered? Again, never had one, so not sure.  

I can tell you that using sprinklers can take 3-5 hours in 1 spot to get 1 inch of water--so if you have a big yard, you pretty much are running sprinklers nonstop if it was really dry with no rain and you wanted to meet the 1" threshold.

There are many variables too---like you type of soil (sandy/clay/silt/etc), grass type, age of lawn that may dictate watering less or more.

I wouldn't run it every night, that could encourage disease having a wet lawn every night--especially during the summer months when you have higher dews and temps at night.

I have never had in ground irrigation, so not sure of the how long to run them.  Its not about time, its about how much water they are putting out.  Every system is different depending on water pressure and what system you have. You want 1" per week, so you could run it twice per week putting out .5" each time.  Not sure if your system lets you know how much you have watered? Again, never had one, so not sure.  

I can tell you that using sprinklers can take 3-5 hours in 1 spot to get 1 inch of water--so if you have a big yard, you pretty much are running sprinklers nonstop if it was really dry with no rain and you wanted to meet the 1" threshold.

There are many variables too---like you type of soil (sandy/clay/silt/etc), grass type, age of lawn that may dictate watering less or more.

I wouldn't run it every night, that could encourage disease having a wet lawn every night--especially during the summer months when you have higher dews and temps at night.

I sort of give up, let Ma nature dictate this year, way too much money and effort

I sort of give up, let Ma nature dictate this year, way too much money and effort

Nothing wrong with that approach if that's you thing.  Some years Mother Nature helps out more than others.  Last year in PA, I didn't have to water that much which was nice.  But if you get a 2010 Summer, yikes.  That was H-E- double hockey sticks.

Unless you have a well, I agree,  Water bills can be exceedingly high if you don't.

I have a well but meh, if it rains it rains if not I will concentrate only on the new seeded area. The rest is way too much lawn to water. It is what it is, the gardens will have the attention they need.

Archived