amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The 6th Annual SNE Lawn Thread - 2015

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure that's Lantana (usually grown as an annual) but I've never seen it actually offered as a shrub up here.  Does it have an intense citrus smell when you rub the leaves? 

It's a perennial only in 7b and warmer.

Or when you leave it in the pot and bring it inside for the winter, apparently.  :)

Anyone know what this tree is? We got it in 2009 at a local nursery and its been in a pot ever since. We bring it in for the winter. Looks like its going to die, but bounces back every spring when we move it outside. Pretty sure we can plant it in the ground. 973d599114d0388220f697e0b20047a6.jpgb51c7dbaf6a242697a3674f8fdb0bbf0.jpg

Sounds like you leave it in the pot.

I'm pretty sure that's Lantana (usually grown as an annual) but I've never seen it actually offered as a shrub up here. Does it have an intense citrus smell when you rub the leaves?

It's a perennial only in 7b and warmer.

Yes, I think you're right. Further reading suggests it can be planted. May try and find a spot for it in the yard.

I don't know what you're reading, but it's 1000% wrong if it's suggesting it'll survive the winter here, or even 350 miles south of here on the immediate coast.

I assumed since one site said it'll act as an annual in zones colder than 7B, that it would be ok. Meaning that it'll die off in winter and come back in Spring. Neverrmind, I had my perennial and annual definitions backwards. We'll get a bigger pot an pull it inside for the winter.  

I just came across this article.  I wonder what this gal would think of this thread?  lol

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/08/03/my-town-calls-my-lawn-a-nuisance-but-i-still-refuse-to-mow-it/?tid=sm_fb

Nothing like a tick infested, property value lowering mess. I had that with a neighbor recently because she's living with her mom and does not live at the house anymore. I almost put a match to it, until a landscape company came and mowed it.

Nothing like a tick infested, property value lowering mess. I had that with a neighbor recently because she's living with her mom and does not live at the house anymore. I almost put a match to it, until a landscape company came and mowed it.

I have a hunch that the woman in that house is not into bathing much.  Uses too much water.

Based on the description from the article, below, it doesn't sound as if it's in a close-packed neighborhood.  She also noted that they were culling out invasive plant species, rather than merely doing nothing at all.  The pic didn't look any different from the scores of fields near my place where haycutting stopped a few years ago.  Without knowing more about the demographic context of their lot, it's hard to say whether their yard or the town is the greater "nuisance."  If all her neighbors have well-manicured lawns, I could understand them being annoyed.

nearly one acre of country land outside of a rural Ohio town.

Edit:  She did have some weird numbers, especially the one about 95% of the lower 48 being developed.  Since over 30% is forested, her number only works if one considers a forest as "developed" once any timber harvesting has been done.

There's a guy who's a consultant to some folks in my office who believes in that, you can smell him before he gets into a room.

Maybe he can get an consult on hygiene.

I'm all for wildflowers and the "natural look", but just letting the entire yard grow up like that is a sign of laziness more than anything. I'm not sure how much of an ecosystem impact 1 acre of wildflowers and weeds make.

That was one of my reactions, too.

Based on the description from the article, below, it doesn't sound as if it's in a close-packed neighborhood.  She also noted that they were culling out invasive plant species, rather than merely doing nothing at all.  The pic didn't look any different from the scores of fields near my place where haycutting stopped a few years ago.  Without knowing more about the demographic context of their lot, it's hard to say whether their yard or the town is the greater "nuisance."  If all her neighbors have well-manicured lawns, I could understand them being annoyed.

nearly one acre of country land outside of a rural Ohio town.

Edit:  She did have some weird numbers, especially the one about 95% of the lower 48 being developed.  Since over 30% is forested, her number only works if one considers a forest as "developed" once any timber harvesting has been done.

Agree--not a whole lot different than a defunct hayfield.

With respect to her 95%, I guess she's never flown over the west.  She might have been thinking of 95% of Delaware.

Maybe he can get an consult on hygiene.

That was one of my reactions, too.

Agree--not a whole lot different than a defunct hayfield.

With respect to her 95%, I guess she's never flown over the west.  She might have been thinking of 95% of Delaware.

Maybe she thinks Ohio = lower 48, though even there 95% is too high.  Perhaps the only state 95% nonforest is N. Dakota.

Edit:  Just did a quick search for states' data.  Unfortunately, all I could find was percent of land area in forest available for timber harvesting, which leaves out inopperable terrain and, more importantly, forest area administratively withdrawn from harvest, such as designated wilderness areas.  With that caveat, NV is at the bottom with 0.5%, with ND #2 at 1%.  I'd guess each of those were near 5% if all forested acres were counted.

Today will probably be the peak for the gardens.  Tomorrows rain will ruin some things.

Gazebo is usually my worst area, but this year it is by far the best.  Voles are starting to mass murder things though.

post-18-0-49954500-1439253919_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-40444000-1439253913_thumb.jpg

Windmill palm is getting big.

post-18-0-29549900-1439253908_thumb.jpg

Tropical garden was a raging failure this year, but at least the hibiscus is finally starting to bloom.

post-18-0-20914400-1439253903_thumb.jpg

Today will probably be the peak for the gardens.  Tomorrows rain will ruin some things.

Gazebo is usually my worst area, but this year it is by far the best.  Voles are starting to mass murder things though.

attachicon.gif4.JPG

attachicon.gif3.JPG

Windmill palm is getting big.

attachicon.gif2.JPG

Tropical garden was a raging failure this year, but at least the hibiscus is finally starting to bloom.

attachicon.gif1.JPG

Fantastic!

Archived